• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is Your Favourite Weather

We just suffered through ice, sleet and snow in Mississippi - the same storm system that knocked out the electricity in Texas. Our power went off about 8:00 on Wednesday night and wasn't restored for 48 hours. We set up the gasoline generator which we use to power a small TV, the kitchen refrigerator, some electric space heaters, a couple of table lamps, cell phone charger, a heating pad, a hot plate or crockpot, and a few other things. Our house is all-electric so we had no hot water, no stove, no central heat, no nothing unless we could plug it into the generator. I slept in turtle necks, thick sweatpants and socks with a cat on each side of my body because they love the warmth. We could hear trees and branches breaking all over our tree farm throughout the nights. They sound like rifle shots when they break. At one point it was thundering while it sleeted and snowed.

Despite the discomfort, I saw something I've never seen before: 4 full grown bluebirds sharing a bluebird box. I didn't know that they would all pack together to stay warm, and when I first saw them flying out of the box, one after another, it reminded me of a clown car at the circus. I found several half frozen birds in our yard so I put them in a cardboard box with the lid closed and put them in the laundry room for 30 minutes to warm up, then released them. I also saw dead birds who froze to death.

We're not used to or prepared for severe cold and frozen precipitation down here!

Glad to see you made it through what has become quite a nightmare for so many.

Glad to see you made it through what has become quite a nightmare for so many.

It was awful. I'd rather be sunburnt and covered with mosquito bites trying to figure out how to stomp a copperhead with a flip flop than deal with this kind of winter weather!

Remember! If it's freezing out, LET YOUR FAUCETS DRIP - or better yet, let them run with a steady trickle or stream of water. It'll be enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

When a pipe freezes, the water expands and will break your pipes. When the thaw comes, the leak won't just be a drip, it'll be a constant gush of water, like out of a garden hose or worse.

You can save the environment any other time of the year. Right now, LET YOUR WATER RUN ALL DAY AND NIGHT!

You also should leave your cabinet doors open in the kitchen and bathrooms if the pipes are routed through your walls. And detach and drain water hoses outside, use faucet covers to help prevent freezing.

Here in Alberta we just survived a -28 cold snap for a week, but we're used to it here... Typically once or twice a winter we will get one, and we do insulate our homes and our lives

I can't imagine (as I watched the news) how people in the southern United States dealt with that, glad you came out okay... And we do have birds here that stay all winter in all kinds of temperatures...
I couldn't imagine it either, and i'm happy that you survived the -28 cold snap in Alberta.

It happens every year, part of life here
I mean't I couldn't imagine how people went without power in Texas rather than the weather. To be honest i'd thrive in any type of climate as long as it isn't desert or tropics.

Last edited:
Cartography (Map making) is one of my hobbies and I made this map of climates I would dislike.
Climates%20I%20Hate.png

climates-i-hate-png.66292

Red = Desert and Blue = Tropics. Yes, ice caps are deserts.

Attachments

• Climates I Hate.png
    Climates I Hate.png
    880.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Climates I Hate.png
    Climates I Hate.png
    874.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Climates I Hate.png
    Climates I Hate.png
    874.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Cartography (Map making) is one of my hobbies and I made this map of climates I would dislike.
View attachment 66291

Red = Desert and Blue = Tropics. Yes, ice caps are deserts.

It looks like you included parts of southern Alberta, nearby me... There is a region close to where I live that is almost classified as desert as it gets very dry in the summer, and hot!

It looks like you included parts of southern Alberta, nearby me... There is a region close to where I live that is almost classified as desert as it gets very dry in the summer, and hot!
Based on this map I made I can conclude that Africa and the Middle East would have my least favourite climates, and i've been to places with similar climates to those regions of the world such as Arizona, Nevada, and Inland California they weren't too great either.

I hate aridity having very little precipitation in my opinion is like watching paint dry and much of the scenery is dried out landscapes and vegetation that looks depressing.

I haven't been in tropical climates but just by looking and studying at them they don't sound too great because it's always 90 degrees (even when its winter) and I would hate them for the same exact reason I hate hot deserts, their year round heat that seems to never end.

Me personally I would rather be a person who prefers warm weather in Canada (much of Canada has four distinct seasons) than someone who prefers cold weather in a hot desert/tropical climate (year round heat).

Last edited:
I love this map! You're so talented :). In western Oregon, it may rain a lot from November to June, but from July-October, it is terribly hot and humid. Very humid, almost as bad as the south. If you don't have AC, you'll be lying in your bed in a pair of shorts and a tank top moaning "It's so hot..."

But if you go across the Coast Range, to that breathtaking strip of land known as the Oregon Coast, you will find perfect, breezy weather all summer, with the highs around 70. The winters there are terrible, however.

I'd suggest you'd be very happy if you overwintered in Central California, near the coast and spent the Summers on the Oregon Coast.
Thank you very much, what part of western Oregon is as bad as the south in the summer?, I have been to Portland which is in western Oregon in August 2018 during summer and it was absolutely wonderful, I even though of it as a place to cool off from the summers of Southern California which is where im from as of this post.

You must have been there during a really nice weather event. It's horrid in the Portland area through to Eugene in the summer. Just hot and huuuuuuumid. It's like 80 degrees with 80 percent humidity for months and months. And the nights don't cool off much. Everyone talks about the rain up here, but they don't prepare you for the summers.

If you come to PDX from April to June, oh, what lovely weather. And all the cherry and dogwood trees are full of big pink flowers. The maple trees are budding with bright orange leaves. It makes everything so worth it.

But I would not come up to PDX now. It's suddenly a very crime-ridden and filthy place. Especially the touristy areas have been destroyed. Thousands of people are actively trying to move away right now.

There are other lovely places here that aren't like that though.
I heard Portland has a lot of political violence and race riots to.

You must have been there during a really nice weather event. It's horrid in the Portland area through to Eugene in the summer. Just hot and huuuuuuumid. It's like 80 degrees with 80 percent humidity for months and months. And the nights don't cool off much. Everyone talks about the rain up here, but they don't prepare you for the summers.

If you come to PDX from April to June, oh, what lovely weather. And all the cherry and dogwood trees are full of big pink flowers. The maple trees are budding with bright orange leaves. It makes everything so worth it.

But I would not come up to PDX now. It's suddenly a very crime-ridden and filthy place. Especially the touristy areas have been destroyed. Thousands of people are actively trying to move away right now.

There are other lovely places here that aren't like that though.
Portland has a Csb (warm summer mediterranean climate) and the south for the most part has a Cfa (humid subtropical). Mediterranean climates have dry summers and wet winters and humid subtropical climates don't have a dry season.

Mine is in the winter time due to having pollen allergies when there is at least a few inches of snow on the ground. Even better if it's snowing.

New Threads

Top Bottom