• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paying bills

Cartoondude135

I have autism myself, but where do you work? Does it pay well? And are you living alone or with a parent or tenants, or renting, or paying house bills yourself? Because I'm laid off for 2 years from Regional Recycling and mom doesn't want me to get anymore stuff for my already cramped room. So since I'm 26, I might as well move to a different house but with as small internet, cable, water, and heat bills, etc. as possible. But I need to know how to pay house bills and if you have anything like insurance to back it up. - For people with autism that is. I live in Vancouver BC and I've been residing here for 26 years since the day I was born. Because parents can't live forever, so I need to know how to pay house bills myself and if I have enough backup programs like government autism funds, a person to swing by your dwelling and pay the bills for you (like some sort of support worker), or something like that to support it.

Last edited:
I don't know what sources of assistance there are. You will need to talk to local organizations or the provincial health service. I started living independently as a research assistant when there was no specific assistance programs, and not making a lot, so the first thing I did was estimate costs and set up a budget. I figured that for an apartment I could budget 1/3 of my salary for housing and another 1/6 for utilities. That left half for food, clothing and transportation. That limited my choices, but it introduced me to financial discipline. It was close each month, but as my salary increased I was able to have a bit more for entertainment and a little to save. Thrift shops were great resources.

I have a job as a doctor that pays my bills. I live in a small flat with my partner. I want to move to a bigger house, but the housing market is insane here right now, so I can’t afford to buy a decent place.

In the simplest manner of explaining such things, you learn to live within your means, and pay all bills on time every time. -For the rest of your life.

If not, you'll be at odds perpetually with collections agencies and the credit rating bureaus. Entities who don't care if one is disabled or neurodiverse.

In the US, the only thing I can think of where government might cut you some slack would be over outstanding medical bills. Not sure about Canada. Though I know in some cases depending on one's legal status people may have persons specifically assigned to oversee such concerns. Usually a complicated matter of determining one's eligibility, disability and lack of independence for such services.

Yes- it IS harsh. :(

Last edited:
I don't know what services are available for Canadians. But in the USA, many disabled persons access the following services, and more. These are just a few of the programs that are offered. Most of them vary from state to state. I will list these here for anyone from my country who are struggling, as well as for the OP to look and see if there are any services like that similar in their country. :

*SSI (Supplemental Security Income- Federal Government cash grant for the disabled)
*TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families- A state cash grant for lowest income families with children under 18, or over 18, but still in high school)
*SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program- also known as food stamps, issued by state government)
*Medicaid (Free health insurance for lowest income, issued by state government)
*Section 8 (A federal government program for lowest income people, where Housing and Urban Development pays 70% or more of your rent)

In the simplest manner of explaining such things, you learn to live within your means, and pay all bills on time every time. -For the rest of your life.

If not, you'll be at odds perpetually with collections agencies and the credit rating bureaus. Entities who don't care if one is disabled or neurodiverse.

In the US, the only thing I can think of where government might cut you some slack would be over outstanding medical bills. Not sure about Canada. Though I know in some cases depending on one's legal status people may have persons specifically assigned to oversee such concerns.

Yes- it IS harsh. :(

I agree with everything you say. In the U.S., for anyone who wants to plan for the future with a goal of avoiding relying on the government for their elderly care, is IS harsh. It's harsh because most people have no idea how much money it costs for elder care (e.g. "custodial care" aka nursing home) if a person happens to live even for 3-5 years in such a facility. It can easily cost $10,000-$20,000 per month for room and board just to stay in a 24 hour care facility and that's not the cost of a high end place. People that only save a little for their elder or don't have Long Term Care insurance (which is expensive on its own) are likely to have to forfeit aka "spend down" all of their personal assets until they have nothing left, no inheritance to pass on, etc before they're eligible for government funding of their care. Then, if/when the government funds your care and you're effectively a ward of the state, the government can put you in any facility in the state that it wants to regardless of how far it may be from your family, etc.

My point being, it's extremely costly to get old in the U.S. if you want to avoid becoming a ward of the state and end up living to a point where you can't live on your own and need professional care.

Last edited:
you learn to live within your means,
So True. People rarely think of the cost of credit, looking instead at their cash flow. While one may eventually want to establish a credit history, it is important to manage it. I pay off all balances monthly. I have seen too many people pay off the minimum on balances until their debt explodes and they are underwater. You never want to pay interest on such debt because it can exceed 20% of your balance depending on your credit history.

I think you simply need to make a list of income and expenses. And the expenses has to be a lower number than the income. I don`t know how things work in Canada so I can`t help you with much unfortunately. But you have to check what you need, monthly expenses.

Last edited:
I have a job as a doctor that pays my bills. I live in a small flat with my partner. I want to move to a bigger house, but the housing market is insane here right now, so I can’t afford to buy a decent place.

Having a home definitely has advantages over a flat. However at least in the U.S. the cost of owning a home makes me question whether or not it's really that much more cost effective in the long run than renting. Yes, owning a home once it's paid for means you have the home value as an asset. But having to pay for: Insurance, Taxes, Mortgage payment if you have one, Utilities, mechanicals, repairs and upkeep are very large expenses. When renting, the money saved by not having home related expenses could be invested instead.

In addition, known home related expenses are largely out of the owner's control in relation to unexpected increases (e.g. insurance, taxes, utilities). The unknown or unexpected costs of owning a home can also have a serious and negative financial impact (e.g. replacing mechanicals such as a furnace, roof, etc). If a home is located in a municipality, homes can be charged for very costly "assessments" for services such as: fixing the street or the sidewalks where you live, repair or installation of city water, sewer or natural gas, etc. The homeowner has absolutely no choice in the matter and if they sell their home, the new owner is responsible for the assessments, the knowledge of which decreases the home's value.

Another related thought: Homeowners often take out a "second mortgage" also known as a Home Equity Line of Credit aka HELOC. They are potentially very dangerous loans from a financial standpoint because unlike a traditional mortgage in which a small part of the monthly payment goes towards paying off the principal, with a HELOC (terrible things in my opinion), a HELOC is an interest only loan. That means if you only pay the monthly loan payment, you'll still have your initial loan amount literally for the rest of your life and never pay off one cent of your loan.

Last edited:
All good advice above. I will add,...from an executive functioning perspective,...get yourself organized. Some people do this with computer software spreadsheets,...some people do it with hand-drawn grids,...whatever works for you. You have to know where every penny is going,...especially if you don't have a strong cash flow. It's amazing what you can put away, even when living quite modestly,...if you are disciplined, saving and recording those receipts,...make it one of your "special interests". Living within your means,...seriously, this one thing is probably the hardest and requires the most discipline. Two,...pay yourself first,...usually a certain percentage of your gross income. By that I mean, savings, investments, etc. At some point, you will have that "rainy day" or want to splurge on a vacation,...and will want to have something put away for retirement. If your employer offers a retirement program like a 401K, 403B, a pension,...something taken out pre-tax,...do it. Reducing your taxable income puts you in a lower tax bracket. Three,...if you have credit card debt,...don't wait for the monthly bill to pay,...you can pay a smaller amount every week, or bi-weekly as long as at the end of the month it totals more than the minimum monthly. This strategy will significantly reduce the total interest and other charges that get tacked onto your monthly bills,...allowing you to pay them off quicker. Some home mortgages,...ask if they have a bi-weekly payment plan,...you can take a typical 30-yr mortgage down to a 17-yr,...a 15yr down to a 10yr,...that extra money you put in significantly drops the interest, fees, and total pay-off. There are all sorts of money-saving strategies out there, from food, transportation, home utility bills, if you look for them. Furthermore, there is the strategy of spending money up front to save money on the back end. For example, a car that costs $100/month in payments, but costs an additional $300/month in fuel and maintenance...versus,...another car that costs $150/month in payments but $200/month in fuel and maintenance...you just saved $50/month by getting the "more expensive" car. You have to be savvy and do your research.

Last edited:
All good advice here.

You should also talk to your parents about your continued needs after they die. They may have already made some plans so that you will still be cared for when they are gone. But if they haven't made plans it is a good idea to bring it up now.
Will there be money for an inheritence? Perhaps they would be willing to set up a trust to be dispersed after their death. A trust would give you small of money paid out every month or so instead of one lump sum. This would help protect your money and keep the bulk of your inheritence invested and earning you money.

If your parents can investv a small amount of money now, in your name, that money can be earning dividends that can be reinvested to insure a larger income in the future. A $1,000 invested now, in a mutal fund, could net you a very nice inheritence in the future for your future care.

Right now I am working in an office setting (U.S.). Trying to find a remote job because I've learned that the in-office experience causes frequent shutdowns/eventual meltdowns. It's just not good for my health. But through the office job I've learned that I really like a 9-5 job that has the same tasks daily/weekly/monthly. The repetitiveness keeps me centered. And I'm the type of person who needs structured days. The biggest issue for me is being around people and trying to eat in environments that aren't my own kitchen. Because of this, I have a limited scope (in terms of remote work with no degree). I'm learning coding so that I can try out remote coding jobs in the near future and earn more.

I say all that because I think it's important to figure out what helps you and what hurts you. Think about what worked for you at your old job and go from there.

And to establish credit, use a starter credit card to pay for things that are already in your budget, like utilities, gasoline & groceries.* Then pay the credit card with the money allotted for those expenses.

That way you can build up your credit history while still living within your means.

*Three different cards would be ideal.

I remember that l could only spend what my paycheck allowed. So rent came first. Then food came next. This was in my 20's. So everything was budgeted. I almost was married in my 20's but then decided l was to young to get married.

I use local organizations set up to help people get the resources that they need. I have a rep payee who takes care of my finances and pays my bills and rent from the bank account her agency set up for me. I also have a case worker who can help me if there is something specific I need help getting such as finding a new doctor. It makes making decisions and paying for bills less stressful.

In the UK you open a current account if you don't have a business then you set up a direct debit supposedly the easiest cheapest way ,you agree on a payment each month, to be debited from your account,research in Canada discounts on utility bills if you have a low income ,the nation I'm in is very different to others as we have a mandatory licence fee ,I get groceries delivered which is cheaper than a taxi but!!!!no guarantee that you receive exactly what you wanted unless you use one supermarket or smaller stores,look at compare websites for home \vehicle insurance quotes !!!

I live alone in a house, it`s not terribly difficult to deal with, all you need is a list of expenses so you know what you are dealing with. And pay bills on time, it quickly becomes a habbit. I worked with building cabins for a few years, that paid well and I have had several jobs. Right now I`m on hiatus, I have enough money to live off it for a while and I have some projects I`m tinkering with.

Last edited:
Much good stuff already said. Just wanted to add one type of approach that some use. Find a job skill you are good at and then work/study to become the very best at it.

Hello and welcome @Cartoondude135

I'd like to commend you for thinking ahead since that's a concern for many on the spectrum who are supported by their parents.

In BC, there are no specific financial support for adults on the spectrum.

The main program that could give you money would be BC Disability Assistance, which has the following criteria
BC Government Website said:
  • Show that you meet financial eligibility to receive assistance
  • Be 18 years old (you can start the application process when you are 17 ½)
  • Have a severe physical or mental impairment that is expected to continue for more than two years
  • Be significantly restricted in your ability to perform daily-living activities
  • Require assistance with daily living activities from
    • Another person
    • An assistive device, or
    • An assistance animal

Community Living BC (CLBC) provides funding for housing and/or a support worker. They have a category for autism, but it's combined with a second criteria "significant limitation in adaptive functioning (i.e. requires a lot of help with daily tasks)" - I've heard that their definition of significant limitation is that the applicant is assessed as having needs that are +3 standard deviations from the norm - e.g. in the top 00.15% of needs. That's about 1:660.
In BC, current prevalence rates for autism for those in K-12 per UBC is about 1:40. If that is representative of the general population, that would suggest that only 1 in 16 autistic individuals would be considered to have sufficiently significant needs to qualify for CLBC supports.

At the federal level there is also the Disability Tax Credit (DTC). However, it is a tax credit - meaning it can reduce the amount of taxes payable and so if you're not working or working minimally, it may not do anything for you. It is also rather hard to qualify for - someone who is standalone ASD1 who is relatively independent is almost certainly going to get rejected.

I should note that qualifying for the DTC would open up eligibility for the Registered Disability Savings Program (RDSP), which helps with saving and accumulating funds towards "retirement."

If you're independent and in needs of funds, BC Income Assistance may be able to help (I'm not 100% sure if it is still the case, but I believe they may have a two year cap)

Even without income, you can still file a blank tax return and receive a "GST credit" payment every quarter (3 months). It's not much ($100?) but it's something.

For more links and info, consider (I'm not necessarily endorsing any of these)
Disability Alliance BC
BC Disability
Autism BC

As for living alone, a one-bedroom apartment in Vancouver proper is $2000 / month. Vancouver is a tough city to live in as a single person, and there are lots of "working poor" who work a full time job, but spend more than half their take-home pay on housing. There are some alternatives, but they're not exactly pretty (e.g. paying $700 to rent a walk-in closet or bathroom). Rental insurance is usually quite inexpensive, since you're only insuring for loss of content or to cover alternate rental in case of emergency, rather than the building itself. Utilities on the other hand, like phone, internet, electricity and gas might cost several hundred dollars a month.

There is no shame in continuing to live with your parents to be financially prudent. There's no sense paying some landlord money that you could be using for other purposes. It's not unusual for Vancouver area professionals in their 30s to live with their parents. A recent Vancouver pilot project for subsidized housing covered those with annual income under CAD $80,000. In Canada, stats from the 2016 census state indicate that for single individuals aged 40-50 (which is usually when earning potential is highest), CAD $80,000 would be 75th percentile - i.e. in the top 25%. That's scary - that someone in the top 25% of income earners is still sufficiently low income to qualify for subsidized housing. And that's Vancouver real estate for you.

Random things to save money on:

If you need a phone, get a pay-as-you-go plan so you have a regular number that you can use if someone really needs to reach you.

Banking - unless you have a bank account that is part of a family package, or can maintain the minimum deposit amount needed to waive monthly fees (often $3000-6000), I would recommend getting an account with a Credit Union. They're like co-op banks, where members own it and therefore they look out for one another, and they typically do not charge monthly account fees, and might be more forgiving in waiving interest charges if you get a credit card but was late paying it by accident. As for getting a credit card to help establish a credit history, see my post in another thread.

I've gone a bit off topic, but in terms of getting a job, reach out to WorkBC - they have some employment counselors who specialize with working with those with disabilities.

Canucks Autism Network also runs some employment programs and have navigators available to help you find the right programs and services if you'd like some guidance.

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom