• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you rather work a high profile job for no pay, or clean sewers for $100,000 per year?

Would you rather work a high profile job for no pay, or clean sewers for $100,000 per year?

• Work a high profile job for no pay

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Clean sewers for $100,000 per year

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Either

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

AGXStarseed

I saw a video of this question been asked (albeit with just the first two answers), and I was interested to see what people here might answer.

Why would anyone do any job for no money? How am I supposed to live life with no money?

Well there are voluntary jobs that don't pay a wage; the purpose of those been to build up your skills and hopefully make you more appealing to an employer when you're seeking an actual paid job, because they see that you're willing to keep improving and earn the necessary skills - even if the only money you get out of doing a voluntary job is potentially getting your lunch and bus fare refunded.

For me, I'd do the sewer job for $100,000. I probably wouldn't like it, but as you say you need to make money to do what you need to do, so you buckle down and get on with it.

I put "clean sewers" but I don't know exactly what that means. Does that mean have a job that deals directly with sewage in some way? People in rural areas have septic systems which involve a holding tank full of sewage that needs to be pumped out periodically. It's a smelly job and a dirty one as well, but for $100,000 I would do it.

Clean sewers. I'd like to do that anyway, as I don't have smell sensitivity. As long as I have reliable PPE to prevent me from catching any viruses, I'll be quite happy doing it. And I'd take food down with me so that I can feed the rats. Knowing me they'd probably start bonding with me. 😂

No pay? I would starve so I'm cleaning sewers. Sure it's nasty but there are worse things in the world.

I think it's a bad example. Not everyone's health allows every kind of job, especially physical labour such as cleaning sewers.

I'd rather not be bedridden even for a million dollars, no thank you. Serving the public for little to no money is an honorable endeavour.

Last edited:
I think it's a bad example. Not everyone's health allows everyone kind of job, especially physical labours such as cleaning sewers.
As I say, I saw a video of the question been asked (albeit with just the top two answers), so I just thought it might be interesting to ask here.
I did add the "Either", "Neither" and "Don't Know" options just in case of other potential answers - as you've pointed out.

Yes, it's one of those "would you rather" questions where if you only had the choice of two you have to pick one, sort of thing.

Assigning morality to physical limitations is widespread, as well as regarding activities some people are unable to do as merely unpleasant and if you just had the willpower, you're supposed to do that, overcome your health conditions, it doesn't "really" hurt, it's "all in your head", or if you tried more, you'd be able to do it. I'm sadly unsurprised... I feel like most often that kind of questions arise from misunderstanding of why people do or don't do certain things and misattribution of intentions based on what reality is like for the author.

I don't mean that you think all these things personally, OP. It's just my reflection on "psycbological" questions and perceptions of physical ability in the society.

If l am young, l will clean sewers, and parlay that cash into stock market. If l am older, take the 100 000 year job, work a year, and leave for a paying job. Maybe crash in my car or something. (Crash in my car=sleep). Also l need to evaluate the odds of dying on the job, is this a high risk job because of some undisclosed procedure or risk? Like death from sewer gas? Like if @Judge wouldn't give me a life policy, l wouldn't take job. Lol

Last edited:
Like if @Judge wouldn't give me a life policy, l wouldn't take job. Lol

I wouldn't. But try not to take it personally. ;)

I was a property/casualty/finance underwriter. Not a life insurance underwriter. A different animal entirely. Though I did underwrite workers compensation. But that would be a matter between me and your employer. Not any employees.

@Judge , so for property insurance, do you figure out the premium by just calculating the risk factor and historical data based on area demographic? Or is there a totally different equation going on? Or is there just some poor person throwing darts on a board with different premium amounts?

@Judge , so for property insurance, do you figure out the premium by just calculating the risk factor and historical data based on area demographic? Or is there a totally different equation going on? Or is there just some poor person throwing darts on a board with different premium amounts?

If you mean HO3 (Homeowners) HO4 (Tenants) or HO6 (Condominiums) they all have multiple rate factors against property and liability limits. Though a number of prominent insurers will take rough quotes online from what I see. But in your case you must deal with a select few insurers that still write coverage in Florida. A lot has changed with customers being able to secure a quote online where the rating is done automatically. (In my day as a rater before I became an underwriter I had to do most calculations manually, often having to interpolate numbers in rate manuals.)

With the most critical rate factor coming down to the ISO protection class, a numerical designation that reflects the optimal fire protection in the area plus the distance to a fire hydrant. Ideally you want a dwelling no more than 5 miles from a fire station and no more than 1000 feet from the nearest hydrant.

Basically a protection class 9 or 10 without a hydrant within so many feet and only volunteer fire departments nearby was considered highly undesirable from an underwriting perspective. Not to mention a natural combustion load....in essence living literally in a forest. Like those lovely, but remote cabins in certain locales in the Lake Tahoe area. Of course different insurers may or may not adhere to standard ISO rates as the company I once worked for did.

So the higher your location's protection class is, the higher the overall premium.

And then you have many other optional coverages like scheduled personal property that usually involved a rate x the limit. Things like scheduled (itemized) jewelry that required a formal appraisal that had rates with built-in theft factors based on the area.

But the simplest and most critical things to consider is most often proximity to the nearest fire station, as well as the distance in feet to a fire hydrant.

Though in your case, being so close to or directly on the coast in Florida puts you into a unique category we called a "Catastrophe Zone". Which for many insurers means additional (and obnoxious rate factors) assuming they're still willing to write risks on the coast given the hurricane exposure.

Of course take this all with a grain of salt, given I haven't worked in insurance since 1996.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom