• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paying bills

I have autism myself, but where do you work? Does it pay well? And are you living alone or with a parent or tenants, or renting, or paying house bills yourself? Because I'm laid off for 2 years from Regional Recycling and mom doesn't want me to get anymore stuff for my already cramped room. So since I'm 26, I might as well move to a different house but with as small internet, cable, water, and heat bills, etc. as possible. But I need to know how to pay house bills and if you have anything like insurance to back it up. - For people with autism that is. I live in Vancouver BC and I've been residing here for 26 years since the day I was born. Because parents can't live forever, so I need to know how to pay house bills myself and if I have enough backup programs like government autism funds, a person to swing by your dwelling and pay the bills for you (like some sort of support worker), or something like that to support it.

I do not understand if you are asking how to pay bills or how to have enough money to pay bills.

When I moved out away from home I had money saved but I did not know how to pay bills. It was very rough for a long time learning how. I wish life-skills was a class in school but I have not found that resource anywhere.

I live in a country where banking is much more heavily regulated, including that I have ten working days to dispute any account transactions. If I have a valid reason for the dispute then the bank refunds my money immediately and it's up to the bank to go chasing after that money, not me.

I have 3 regular bills that I allow to be automatically deducted from my account but I do regularly check on my account transactions. Electricity gets paid quarterly. Internet and phone are paid monthly.

For any other bills it's up to companies to provide me with their bank details, I use online banking to transfer funds directly in to their accounts. Note that I do this on a real computer instead of trying to dick around on a phone.

Worked as a low level bookkeeper. Boring beyond belief, and l was plenty OCD about checking, and rechecked and rechecking. So then l marry, and basically managed my partner's small medical office, no experience, just stepped in and did it. Bills paid from account, however, there isn't much in account to wipe out.

I wish life-skills was a class in school but I have not found that resource anywhere.
We did have such a class in high school
...and we went bankrupt following their advice!
They taught us to bank using a single checking account. That system was very high-maintenance and we quickly lost track of what money was available for different expenses.
full

Since the bankruptcy (19 years ago), we have used a banking equivalent of the "envelope system" and we have a nearly perfect credit score (while still being on the poverty line).

Funny, because I am terrible with math and yet, I am the one in charge of our finances and have a natural aptitude for it.
There is a distict difference between math and finances thou. To me math, in its core, has nothing to do with numbers. But more with a certain way of thinking.

I wanted to bring-up an overlooked part of paying bills - that is how bill-paying tranasctions are conducted. For example, online bill paying (via one's bank) is common, yet paying bills (via paper bills recevied by mail) by phone, and bank-card are also common.

I'm aware of people running into problems with online bill-paying -that is, the online bill-paying difficulties resulted in much irritation, and "jumping through hoops"- via contacting one's bank to point-out, and terminate any further use of online bill-paying services, and contacting each place e.g. power, water, gas, companies to convert to paper bills sent via mail. Such tasks prove tiring especially on the assumptions that more and more tasks are conducted online, and conducted less and less with old-school paper bills.

I had never signed-up for online billing services -- as I long knew that the commercials seemed too good to be true regarding convenience of use!
I knew of a relative who thought that they had cancelled-out the online bill paying service over one year ago - yet a few months back, the bank wanted to once again inquire by asking my relative to visit the bank in-person to (hopefully) officially cancel-out the online bill paying service. Since that time, my relative feels that the online bill-paying service is TRULY cancelled - fingers crossed!

I knew of a relative who thought that they had cancelled-out the online bill paying service over one year ago - yet a few months back, the bank wanted to once again inquire by asking my relative to visit the bank in-person to (hopefully) officially cancel-out the online bill paying service. Since that time, my relative feels that the online bill-paying service is TRULY cancelled - fingers crossed!
If their money stopped leaving through that channel, it was effectively cancelled. (I would think that said relative would have noticed unauthorized payments by that point...)

You could apply for disability to help you pay your rent and bills but I don't know how the system works in the US.
I live with my husband and we muck in together to pay all the bills. I pay for the petrol even though he drives and I don't, but that's because he drives me everywhere including to and from work, so thats a fair deal.

New Threads

Top Bottom