• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Ten Commandments from Judaism help me understand right from wrong

Oz67

The Ten Commandments from Judaism help me understand right from wrong, even though I have delusions most of the time.

Aren't there really 603 more commandments? I think one has to be really good with detail and nuance to follow Judaism. Probably why many Americans aren't up to it.

It is from Jesus' teaching at the Sermon on the Mount,
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you,
do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
" Matthew 7:12 NKJV

(It is called "Pay it forward" in the modern vernacular.)

The negative is considered a corollary,
"Don't do to others the things that you would not like to be done to you."

Last edited:

While Jesus may have referenced the tenet of The Golden Rule, said tenet predates Jesus by nearly two thousand years. It's a valid presumption then, that The Golden Rule was well known to ancient cultures onward.

ChatGPT, that which will obliterate our IQs says:

"The concept known as "The Golden Rule," often summarized as "treat others as you would like to be treated," indeed predates Jesus' time. This ethical principle has ancient roots and appears in various forms across different cultures and religious traditions long before Christianity. Here are some notable examples:
  1. Ancient Egypt: The concept is found in the story of "The Eloquent Peasant," which dates back to around 1800 BCE. The peasant in the story says, "Do for one who may do for you, that you may cause him thus to do."
  2. Ancient India: The principle is evident in Hindu and Buddhist teachings. In Hinduism, the Mahabharata, which dates back to between the 8th and 9th centuries BCE, states, "This is the sum of duty: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you." In Buddhism, a similar idea is found in the Udanavarga (circa 5th century BCE), where it is said, "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
  3. Ancient China: Confucianism, which developed around the 5th century BCE, includes a version of the Golden Rule. Confucius is quoted in the Analects (15:23) as saying, "Do not impose on others what you do not wish for yourself."
  4. Ancient Greece: Greek philosophers also discussed similar ethical principles. For instance, Isocrates (436–338 BCE) wrote, "Do not do to others what would anger you if done to you by others."
  5. Zoroastrianism: This ancient Persian religion, which may date back as far as the 2nd millennium BCE, includes in its sacred texts, the Avesta, a similar ethical precept: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for its own self."
These examples illustrate that the essence of the Golden Rule was recognized and valued in many ancient cultures and philosophical systems well before the time of Jesus. This universality underscores its fundamental importance as a guiding principle for human conduct."

That makes sense.

While Jesus may have referenced the tenet of The Golden Rule, said tenet predates Jesus by nearly two thousand years. It's a valid presumption then, that The Golden Rule was well known to ancient cultures onward.

ChatGPT, that which will obliterate our IQs says:

"The concept known as "The Golden Rule," often summarized as "treat others as you would like to be treated," indeed predates Jesus' time. This ethical principle has ancient roots and appears in various forms across different cultures and religious traditions long before Christianity. Here are some notable examples:
  1. Ancient Egypt: The concept is found in the story of "The Eloquent Peasant," which dates back to around 1800 BCE. The peasant in the story says, "Do for one who may do for you, that you may cause him thus to do."
  2. Ancient India: The principle is evident in Hindu and Buddhist teachings. In Hinduism, the Mahabharata, which dates back to between the 8th and 9th centuries BCE, states, "This is the sum of duty: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you." In Buddhism, a similar idea is found in the Udanavarga (circa 5th century BCE), where it is said, "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
  3. Ancient China: Confucianism, which developed around the 5th century BCE, includes a version of the Golden Rule. Confucius is quoted in the Analects (15:23) as saying, "Do not impose on others what you do not wish for yourself."
  4. Ancient Greece: Greek philosophers also discussed similar ethical principles. For instance, Isocrates (436–338 BCE) wrote, "Do not do to others what would anger you if done to you by others."
  5. Zoroastrianism: This ancient Persian religion, which may date back as far as the 2nd millennium BCE, includes in its sacred texts, the Avesta, a similar ethical precept: "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for its own self."
These examples illustrate that the essence of the Golden Rule was recognized and valued in many ancient cultures and philosophical systems well before the time of Jesus. This universality underscores its fundamental importance as a guiding principle for human conduct."

That makes even more sense.

"Thou shalt commit adultery."
full

It's A Trap!!

Some people need them, but I learned pretty early to understand ethics ever since I read Bertrand Russel's Why I am Not a Christian. I saw religions as divisive, separating believers from people considered "the other." I had enough of that, feeling isolated as a teen and young adult that I rejected religions for isolating non believers.

I had a thought this morning: Wouldn't the world be better off today if all along differences in beliefs between people/peoples were assumed and a mutual response of: "We agree to disagree." were words to live by rather than how things have happened through the ages? Works for me.

Religion, the Ten Commandments, etc have been a remedy to waylay the ultimate and innate fear humans have (but replaces it with other fears), the fear of our own death. Some need it and some don't. Agree to disagree and enjoy your own life.

Last edited:
I had a thought this morning: Wouldn't the world be better off today if all along differences in beliefs between people/peoples were assumed and a mutual response of: "We agree to disagree." were words to live by rather than how things have happened through the ages? Works for me.

Religion, the Ten Commandments, etc have been a remedy to waylay the ultimate and innate fear humans have, the fear of our own death. Some need it and some don't. Agree to disagree and enjoy your own life.
You have demonstrated the purpose of the 10 Commandments. It is one thing to Say ‘why can’t we all just get along’, but like Rodney King, the answer to the question is in the mirror.

As the OP implies, heartfelt study of the 10 Commandments will enlighten us as to the very reasons that we all can’t just get along. Some people can benefit from that exercise, others cannot.

New Threads

Top Bottom