• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Were you a fan of Anthony Bourdain?

• Total voters

Mary Anne

V.I.P Member
Anthony Bourdain found dead “by hanging” in a hotel room. I am extremely saddened by this breaking news. He was a wonderful, world reknown tv show host and food/travel writer. He had a lifestyle many millions admired and envied.- traveling all around the world to exotic places eating and drinking with great gusto. His show “Parts Unknown” is watched my millions around the world, and his bestselling book was “Kitchen Confidential.”

When I first heard of his death I assumed it was due to heart / health as he was a 2-pack a day smoker, and ate anything he wanted (fatty foods included), or due to alcohol (due to his intense drinking behavior). But suicide always comes a surprise- and it leaves many naturally curious questions in the mind. How could someone with such an enviable lifestyle, and millions of dollars in wealth be unhappy enough to commit suicide? (because these things are not enough to create happiness). He had talked of his ongoing “inner darkness” in past interviews, and spoke of “Having to constantly work to stave off darkness.” He was “Very excited to soon travel to Hong Kong to film his show,” according to NPR. I know I will never know all the personal details, but as a huge fan for decades, I cannot stop these questions from ruminating in my mind.

Suicide is always a terrible surprise. I felt as if Anthony could have been a close friend, and I admired him greatly. I will be deeply moved for days to come, and miss him forever.

CNN's Anthony Bourdain is dead at 61 of an apparent suicide
more here:
CNN's Anthony Bourdain is dead at 61 of an apparent suicide

Last edited:
Went to Les Halle's in New York ,which was one of his.

I often wonder about people who do it.

Maybe suicidal thoughts are a new thing for them.

Many on here have had ''problematic thoughts' for years .

Surviving.

I wonder if we are like ultra runners in terms of suicidal thoughts.

Fully trained at dealing with them . No out of the blue surprises.

Oh yeh, those thoughts. Walk in the park .

Don't get them now! Did for many years .

Is it any wonder why I'm not scared of thoughts anymore?

Went to Les Halle's in New York ,which was one of his.

I often wonder about people who do it.

Maybe suicidal thoughts are a new thing for them.

Many on here have had ''problematic thoughts' for years .

Surviving.

I wonder if we are like ultra runners in terms of suicidal thoughts.

Fully trained at dealing with them . No out of the blue surprises.

Oh yeh, those thoughts. Walk in the park .

Don't get them now! Did for many years .

Is it any wonder why I'm not scared of thoughts anymore?

From what NPR said this morning, he had lived many years if not decades with chronic dark thoughts, and had to constantly work to stay busy. The thing is though that he was chronically busy and looking forward to filming trip to Hong Kong. I dunno...but he did drink a lot of alcohol and that is a depressant. Who knows if he took anti depressants, or it all just got to him. He could have been bi-polar, or any number of things. Maybe he was just tired of life. I feel that way too some times and I am the same age.

Maybe it was an accident.
Not everybody who hangs themself
is trying to die by doing that.

I thought of that, as I know people who engage in “recreational” hanging. But, he has in the past spoke of his chronic depression.

Even if he did engage recreationally, I would imagine that family would take strong means to not have that divulged. The detectives will do their job and hopefully not let that out. It would tarnish Anthony’s reputation.

I think wealth and a very active life are warning signs. Not all, but many people who are always going seem to be trying to run away from their darkness.

I only know of Mr. Bourdain, I don't really watch TV, but I know he had a lot of fans. My condolences to them and to his family and friends.

Last edited:
I think wealth and a very active life are warning signs. Not all, but many people who are always going seem to be trying to run away from their darkness.

I only know of Mr. Bourdain, I don't really watch cooking shows, but I know he had a lot of fans. My condolences to them and to his family and friends.

It was not a cooking show. It was a travel show where he went to exotic places and ate all kinds of unusual foods in out of the way places.

Suicides are up 25% in the USA over the last 20 years. But I think increased suicide is not limited to the USA. I thought I read of similar increases elsewhere. I know several years back in one year more military folks took their own lives then were killed in action in Iraq/Afghanistan. Its not uncommon. I have run into it many times with friends, family and co-workers all along.

I can only speculate on what is going on to increase it. I think it occurs when a person has reached a tipping point emotionally due to stress/pain. But there seems to be an increased acceptability to it these days. More an accepted way to 'Opt Out'. Nothing has changed however in the potential devastation it leaves behind.

Military suicide is HUGE in the US. It’s unprecendented in the history of our country.

I think our society is rushing chaotically too fast and we all have too much daily bombardments, emotionally, mentally, physically; plus exposures to thousands of bad chemicals and pesticides. Also science shows genetic predisposition to certain mental, addiction, and neurological difficulties. We cannot keep up with technology. We learn new things at lightening speed. There huge pressures to conform and fit in from a very early age. People often have too much time, as they do not work as hard or long as they used to. There is continual boredom. There is ever heightening cravings for more stimulation and endorphin rushes.

We cannot keep up, and we can not evolve quickly enough to survive happily nor healthily.

I am saddened by his death, too. He was a philosopher as much as anything else and a former heroin addict. I wonder if he returned to heroin and fell even deeper into depression. Maybe he was influenced by Kate Spode's suicide this week. Robin Williams hung himself, too. All three of them had lifelong depression.

I have a dear friend who has suffered with clinical depression since childhood, and is now deemed to be depression treatment resistant because none of the anti-depression drugs help him anymore. He has been told that the next step would be electro shock therapy which he does not want to do. I'm urging him to seek out alternative treatments and surmise he is smoking pot at night which helps him sleep which is fine with me. I just want him to live.

I am saddened by his death, too. He was a philosopher as much as anything else and a former heroin addict. I wonder if he returned to heroin and fell even deeper into depression. Maybe he was influenced by Kate Spode's suicide this week. Robin Williams hung himself, too. All three of them had lifelong depression.

I have a dear friend who has suffered with clinical depression since childhood, and is now deemed to be depression treatment resistant because none of the anti-depression drugs help him anymore. He has been told that the next step would be electro shock therapy which he does not want to do. I'm urging him to seek out alternative treatments and surmise he is smoking pot at night which helps him sleep which is fine with me. I just want him to live.

Wow, I heard that Kate Spade had died...but she also died by hanging herself!?!?! Statically women do not kill themselves by hanging. They use other means. Hanging is a male suicidal technique. This chain of events is just too surreal. I hope it does not set off copy cat attempts.
I am totally even more bummed out now.

Kate Spade's husband says she battled demons but death was complete shock - CNN

Very sad. I like to think of Anthony Bourdain as our "number one ambassador".

He was the antithesis of what one might call an "Ugly American". People seemed to like him wherever he went on the planet as well as his liking them. One of America's best media resources now gone. RIP.

Suicides are up 25% in the USA over the last 20 years. But I think increased suicide is not limited to the USA. I thought I read of similar increases elsewhere. I know several years back in one year more military folks took their own lives then were killed in action in Iraq/Afghanistan. Its not uncommon. I have run into it many times with friends, family and co-workers all along.

I can only speculate on what is going on to increase it. I think it occurs when a person has reached a tipping point emotionally due to stress/pain. But there seems to be an increased acceptability to it these days. More an accepted way to 'Opt Out'. Nothing has changed however in the potential devastation it leaves behind.
It's because of the rise of the narcissistic, image-conscious people that the more sensitive ones are dying out. The world has become too aggressive and inauthentic, lacking compassion. How else to explain this being allowed to happen:
The most tragic thing I've ever seen - gives me sleepless nights. I wish that instead of buying those obscene super-yachts, billionaires would club together and save rain forests.

Last edited:
It’s sad news. I liked him for not being polished. He seemed like an honest guy with his own demons. I really enjoyed his candor

It's because of the rise of the narcissistic, selfish people that the more sensitive ones are dying out. The world has become too aggressive and inauthentic, lacking compassion. How else to explain this being allowed to happen:
The most tragic thing I've ever seen - gives me sleepless nights. I wish that instead of buying those obscene super-yachts, billionaires would club together and save rain forests.

Interesting theory. But the answer is likely much more complicated then that and not the same accross age, sex, condition and geographical groups.

Looking at age I can't see any correlation to 'sensitivity'.

"Based on the NVDRS 2016 data, the New York Times acknowledged that, among men, those over 65—who make up a smaller proportion of the population—are at greatest risk of death by suicide.[19] "

image_file_3464_BlockImageOne_411707170.png

Another high risk group is us. I could imagine sensitivity being a factor (despite the stereotype of autistics being insensitive), but think that is probably just that, imagination. My guess at the moment is the common denominator is pain, mental as well as physical and no belief in relief. The autistic cannot escape autism, the aging person only sees more deterioration.

"Autism

Studies have found very high rates of suicide in people with autism spectrum disorders, including high functioning autism and what was formerly known as Asperger syndrome. Autism and particularly Asperger syndrome are highly associated with clinical depression and as many as 30 percent or more of people with Asperger syndrome also suffer from depression.[43]

One study found that children with autism are 28 times more likely to ideate or attempt suicide than the general population.[44][unreliable medical source?] This is possibly even higher than the rate among rape survivors, who are 13 times more likely than non-crime victims to attempt suicide.[45] Another study found that being an adult and having Asperger syndrome increases the suicide risk 10 fold.[46][unreliable medical source?]

This may be related to the shunning, harassment, stigma, and violence that is commonly perpetrated upon people with autism. One study found that 18.5% of American children with autism had been physically abused and 16.5% had been sexually abused.[47] People with autism are much more likely to be sexually abused than the general population.[48][unreliable medical source?]

Another possible factor is the likely increased prevalence of chronic pain in people with autism, contrary to the popular belief that autistic people are insensitive to pain.[49][medical citation needed] Autism has been found to be closely related to fibromyalgia, a common chronic pain disorder." (wiki)

One of my ant commited suicide and another relative in my family not related by blood, and 2 in my mother family attempted but didnt suicide.

Is that a lot or a common thing in any family?

I know for sure that I have been idealising suicide since im 14 and many times iv "planned" how I would do it, never attempted one and I think that for long I will have more resolve to not do it.

Truly I think that our society is more and more toxic for life in general and suicide increases for the same reason.
Plus, I have done some sociology (well only one semester of initiation) , the main topic was suicide and Durkheim 's work. According to him man are more likely to commit suicide because when something bad happens in the family for instance a breakup or a death, the relatives are always closer to the mother than they are to the father and man in general are more easely isolated.

And that is still a thing , one of the new case of growing suicide in the USA is related to middle aged man loosing their job right? I guess they loose more than that and can't stand the sudden isolation.

But their is so many other things...

To stick to the subject of the topic, I didnt know Anthony Bourdain , apparently he died in France :(

It was not a cooking show. It was a travel show where he went to exotic places and ate all kinds of unusual foods in out of the way places.

Thanks. I've edited now to correct it. He seems like a really interesting fellow. The world has lost a fascinating person.

If you got all regular members here (on the spectrum) in a room and asked them to raise their hand if they had ever considered suicide, I'd be surprised if every hand wasn't raised.

New Threads

Top Bottom