• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Were you a fan of Anthony Bourdain?

• Total voters
Whenever people want to know why people commit suicide, I think the real question is, "Why wouldn't they?" Just look at what a horrific mess the whole planet is. But no, they say it's a brain imbalance, and then they lock you up and pump you full of drugs. As if that increases your quality of life.:rage:

I was with my Aspie friend today and he started talking about Anthony Bourdain commiting suicide,
when he suddenly asked "Do you know who I am talking about?" I had heard the name, but, no I didn't
know who he was or what he was famous for.
I had not been on-line or seen any TV today when he asked me. Well, now I know, from this thread.

He started discussing how he felt about suicide and even though he has thought about it also,
he has the belief system of reincarntion. He isn't of any particular religion, but, does believe
in reincarnation and he definitely doesn't want that to happen to him. So, suicide would go against
his ideas that if we do that, we will need to come back with the veil of forgetfulness and try again
at this life.
I can't say I agree with this belief, but, I know depression all too well.
Depression to me, feels like an empty vacuum inside that you keep waiting for a feeling to fill that void
but it never comes.
This leads to the reaching out for whatever seems to fill that void even though it's temporary.
Drugs, drinking, material objects and gain, running away from it and you can't because where ever
you go it's there because it's a part of you inside. A feeling of not being able to find peace with yourself
so I've tried to find the feeling of wholeness by attaching to another, and that is a temporary fix too.

We had an interesting sharing of ideas due to Mr. Bourdain's death.
While I did not know about him, many others did and it always hits a nerve when I hear of someone
whom must have been in such pain to decide on this path.

Anthony Bourdain found dead “by hanging” in a hotel room. I am extremely saddened by this breaking news. He was a wonderful, world reknown tv show host and food/travel writer. He had a lifestyle many millions admired and envied.- traveling all around the world to exotic places eating and drinking with great gusto. His show “Parts Unknown” is watched my millions around the world, and his bestselling book was “Kitchen Confidential.”

When I first heard of his death I assumed it was due to heart / health as he was a 2-pack a day smoker, and ate anything he wanted (fatty foods included), or due to alcohol (due to his intense drinking behavior). But suicide always comes a surprise- and it leaves many naturally curious questions in the mind. How could someone with such an enviable lifestyle, and millions of dollars in wealth be unhappy enough to commit suicide? (because these things are not enough to create happiness). He had talked of his ongoing “inner darkness” in past interviews, and spoke of “Having to constantly work to stave off darkness.” He was “Very excited to soon travel to Hong Kong to film his show,” according to NPR. I know I will never know all the personal details, but as a huge fan for decades, I cannot stop these questions from ruminating in my mind.

Suicide is always a terrible surprise. I felt as if Anthony could have been a close friend, and I admired him greatly. I will be deeply moved for days to come, and miss him forever.

CNN's Anthony Bourdain is dead at 61 of an apparent suicide
more here:
CNN's Anthony Bourdain is dead at 61 of an apparent suicide
Suicide is really a very sad thing! The US has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world. I am saddened anytime I hear about a successful suicide I am left questioning where humanity is going wrong. When someone kills themselves it's a failure of society to care for its most vulnerable members. Sometimes the most vulnerable members hide their vulnerabilities and do not reach out for help because of the stigma of depression and mental illness. Gandhi once said, "The true measure of any society can be found in the way it treats its most vulnerable members." By that yard stick, the US is failing miserably!

This thread is starting to remind me of a
funeral in real life. The main event being
the loss of one human, who mattered in
varying degrees to those attending, and
meanwhile the cousins are clustered here
and there, making jokes.

and there, making jokes.

Saying 'I wonder who'll be next'

with portholes

I'm getting closer. But we're talking cramped. Very cramped.

hqdefault.jpg

and there, making jokes.

But not about the deceased. About ourselves.

But not about the deceased. About ourselves.

That's how you can tell it's not a real life funeral.

Nobody is remembering fondly (or however)
any funny experiences or making remarks about
what the deceased would find great/pleasant/ludicrous
about the proceedings.

To avoid confusion, howabouts 'but not about the croaked' ? Is that grammatically correct?

It's always sad when someone does this, anyone, whether they are famous or not... I think I struggle with minor depression, not at the clinical level, they say most people will get low level depression at various points in life...

I can honestly say that I've never even thought of suicide, despite some life struggles I've always felt that my life is still worth living, but I have known at least one person who I think did it, several months after the fact...

New Threads

Top Bottom