1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What advice would you give to someone looking for a job?

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Daydreamer, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Neurotypically in question

In particular in the design industry, but more general advice is welcome. Once had an interview and got stumped on one question in particular. "What has been your greatest sacrifice in life so far?" Surprisingly deep question for an unpaid internship position, it threw me off completely and I was later rejected.

At the moment I'm hoping to find some part time work, whilst living at University, that will hopefully look good on my CV. But it can be hard to know where to start sometimes. I should make a portfolio...

Hmm. :confused:

2. BraidedPony

BraidedPony Just Enjoying Survival V.I.P Member

Weird interview question. Not a question that can be answered quickly, more like something someone would need to ponder over for a few days...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. china autie

china autie friend to dogs and frogs and cats

Off the wall question, yeah.

Say something related to work-- like "I gave up a lot in order to go to school."

Definitely a portfolio.

4. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

My first thought was, "Time," and since you just have to keep going in an interview, I guess I would go on a long, strange rant about how every time we do anything, we're sacrificing our greatest gift, time, and so just being here at this interview contributes to my ever-growing greatest sacrifice. Thank you, and see you at work Monday, Boss. Then I leave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. inkfingers

inkfingers 19 year old Aspie artist and Jesus follower

Are you into graphic design? I'm shooting for a fine art degree. I want to be a freelance artist.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Loren

Loren Well-Known Member

Indeed, as you mentioned, begin building a portfolio of your work, as soon as possible. If there are design firms in the area, I would, casually, walk in and inquire about possible, part time work, or a paid internship. That is how I acquired one of my current jobs. Otherwise, scan online job boards, for design work and internships. May I ask what type of design you are studying? I wish you much success with your current job-search, and a successful career, ahead!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Mr Allen

Mr Allen Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

If you are Aspie and/or otherwise disabled, do NOT declare it unless you absolutely HAVE to, it WILL cost you the job.

Meh, that's been my experience, as soon as I declare, they bin my application.

8. AloneNotLonely

AloneNotLonely Well-Known Member

"What has been your greatest sacrifice in life so far".
    The correct answer:
    "Applying for an unpaid internship where some HR ditz is asking me incorrectly phrased philosophical questions not connected to the actual work."

I think you dodged a bullet there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Neurotypically in question

I wish I'd come up with that, instead I decided to share some vague anecdotes about donating to charity and this one time I had to work late on a project. That response would've been so much better! :( It can be hard when you're on the spot.

Web and graphic design. Logos, campaigns, promotional videos, making websites and other branding activities. :)

Thank you. :)

Illustration, photography, some video editing skills, 3D modelling, web development and design.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. tducey

tducey Well-Known Member

To not give up. To apply to places even if they aren't advertising for someone. The hidden job market is so key. Do your research into the company you're applying to as well.

• Informative Informative x 1