• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wanting to do the same activity / thing.

Caelix3

Anyone else have this problem? That you want to do the same activity or thing over and over again. The mere thought of doing something different stresses you out. To the point that you usually don't try something new?

I've been having this problem forever. Especially with video games. Or t.v. shows.

I always play Sims 2 on my computer or Sims 4.

But today I decided to try something different, Sims 3. I feel stressed out playing it because it's something new. But at the same time, am forcing myself to try something new. Since I never try anything new. In terms of games in this case.

yes,i avoid trying anything new,even if for example something as simple as trying a different route to somewhere that is part of my routine,it would trigger my challenging behavior if anyone attempted that,there was one incident on the motorway,i was with my two support staff and my mum-back then i was only allowed to sit in the back,i was going to a specific aquatic shop and the staff driving,suddenly turned around and said,'im going to come off here and go another way; its to busy this way',i had massive anxiety, huge agitation and an explosion of agression attacking myself,the seat in front,the driving staff and my mum,i calmed down after a long while and managed to take a lorazepam,but from then on i never saw the staff who was driving again,she had no other experience with severe classic autism,and she even took it personal from what i had heard.

You're not the only one with this problem, I can testify to that. I get stuck in a rut and not stressed at first but rather uncomfortable when I do something else for a change. I don't think it's healthy over the long run either, change can be painful but good, but when you have a disadvantage there like myself it's tempting to just run on autopilot all day.

Preparation for the new thing can help me....so going over it in my mind and/or familiarizing myself with it beforehand.

Anyone else have this problem? That you want to do the same activity or thing over and over again. The mere thought of doing something different stresses you out. To the point that you usually don't try something new?

I've been having this problem forever. Especially with video games. Or t.v. shows.

But today I decided to try something different, Sims 3. I feel stressed out playing it because it's something new. But at the same time, am forcing myself to try something new. Since I never try anything new. In terms of games in this case.
Yes I can really relate. It's funny though that you mentioned The Sims, I was into 1 & 3 and was very reluctant to try 2 & 4. I still play #3, I think I'll stick with odd numbers,(lol). But yes, it frustrates me that I like doing the same few things repeatedly because it makes it more difficult to relate to others

Yes, always. It is very hard to try new things, even down to what is on my mobile devices. Change is frightening and feels like my warm cosy blanket, has been ripped from under me.

Very much so. I've been stuck on The Elder Scrolls games, much more so when I bought a PC and started modding. I've also been stuck on mental conditions like Asperger's and Tourette's for obvious reasons but also other ones that I don't have.

I've had other things in the past but those's are the the recent and current ones.

I don't like trying new things. I feel comfortable doing/watching/eating what I already know.

Me too. I would prefer to always do the same things, eat the same things, use the same routes, watch the same things etc.

I find preparation helps a bit, but doesn't stop the anxiety altogether.

Thanks for the responses guys. They really helped. :)

Especially the response about researching the thing beforehand.

Yes I can really relate. It's funny though that you mentioned The Sims, I was into 1 & 3 and was very reluctant to try 2 & 4. I still play #3, I think I'll stick with odd numbers,(lol). But yes, it frustrates me that I like doing the same few things repeatedly because it makes it more difficult to relate to others
2 and 4 are my favorites. But I'm slowly warming up to 3. Do you go on Tumblr at all? There is a whole community of simmers who post their gameplay photos. It is rather nice. I have two blogs on there. One for Sims 2 and 4. One for Sims 3.

2 and 4 are my favorites. But I'm slowly warming up to 3. Do you go on Tumblr at all? There is a whole community of simmers who post their gameplay photos. It is rather nice. I have two blogs on there. One for Sims 2 and 4. One for Sims 3.

I've played all of the Sims games. I can still remember the original game :sweatsmile:

When we eventually got the Sims 2, I loved it...but then our PC at the time really couldn't cope with all of the expansions too! I loved 3, and couldn't wait for 4 to come out. I got it on release as a present from my husband, but for me the Sims has always been one of those things that I'm either not playing for 6 months, or I'm playing it for like..6 hours a day for a fortnight :smile:

When I try new things I create (sometimes arbitrary) rules to limit what I'm doing and not get overwhelmed by all the new information. I haven't played any Sims games in a while but when I started playing GTA5 a while back I just would drive around the block over and over to start. Slowly I started to learn and feel more comfortable doing other things.

My routines are pretty much "set in stone" to be honest.

Taekwondo on Sundays and alternate Mondays, Food shopping at Tesco on a Monday, work Tuesday, then possibly Pictures if there's owt on. Pub on a Wednesday night, Digital Arts course all day Thursdays.

Then the weekends I do whatever, usually Meadowhall or Town on a Saturday, then on a Sunday I stay in and chill out watching recordings on Sky apart from brief trip to Tesco to check the week's Lottery tickets and get some milk if I'm short.

I've been trying really hard not to bake soda bread after soda bread after soda bread.

Routines in general are really soothing, I find. I think I'm currently at my most content because my days and weeks are fairly regular and I don't have many new/unexpected people popping into my life. It's nice to try new things though (like baking is new to me, and I love it now).

For me personally, its not that I'm unwilling to try new things or that I get anxiety from it its just I would rather not do them. For instance, I will watch TV shows that I have seen every episode to over and over rather than starting a new show. Part of this has to do with me not wanting to get attached to something that might be cancelled, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, I have trouble listening to music that I have not heard before. For instance, there is this album by one of my favorite artists that has been out since last march, but I have not, as of late, been able to psych myself up enough to listen to it.

I had the same experience with college orientation. I will say this though: When I do new things I become less reluctant to do them the more I put myself out there. I have anxiety at the first day of class every year since I started college in 2012, Now in a masters program I still have anxiety of whether I am in the right room, did I misread the classroom number, am I put together well enough, can I be articulate today or am I going to come off as crass today, and so on.

I don't see this as any kind of "problem". I mean, if it involves something you like doing, then whether or not it involves variety is your choice. Regardless of what others think.

I've always lived a life of having a very few select things to do for leisure. Besides, being able to concentrate on a few rather than many affords me a certain degree of proficiency in whatever I choose.

I'm not "stuck" in routines so much as I simply relish them. It's my life and I choose to live like this. That's all. :)

This is common and is probably a trait related to your autism. I have experienced the same thing. In school I didn't want to go to a different class every 45 minutes, instead it was easier to learn completely immersed in a topic for days at a time. Plus, when I took lunches to school, I ate the same exact thing every day for three years (a sandwich, raisins, carrots, and water). Then one day I decided there weren't enough green vegetables in my diet and took a salad for the next two years.

New Threads

Top Bottom