• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Hum

Angular Chap

V.I.P Member
I figured a group of people with potentially very sensitive hearing may have also experienced this phenomenon.

Have you ever been plagued by a constant low frequency humming noise that only you seem to be able to hear? Like a car engine idling down the street. Maybe this will shed some light on what it is, or isn't. Or maybe you will just find it interesting. Maybe you will experience it in future.

I first heard of "Largs Hum" way back around 2002 at high school when I copied a newspaper story for a homework assignment about a mystery noise in the town of Largs, Scotland.

It appears that many countries have a name for it, all named after a town or city. Largs Hum in Scotland, Bristol Hum in England, Omagh Hum in Northern Ireland, Taos Hum in America, Windsor Hum in Canada, Auckland Hum in New Zealand and probably plenty others.

Many years later, I heard it for myself one evening, then it went away and I never heard it again.

Well 3 months ago I started hearing it again. I can hear it as I'm typing this. I wonder what it could be this time. It happens most of the day. It has all the same characteristics as everything I've read about.

It is louder at night, during winter. Which makes sense, as noise travels further at night due to the general quietness and the less dense air.

I can't hear it outdoors.

Fixed frequency and low frequency, less than 100Hz, approaching the lower limit of human hearing (20Hz)

Sometimes I only notice when it stops, usually when it is active, but I never seem to notice it starting. It only every stops abruptly.

So far I have narrowed it down to something vibrating through the pipework. I can only hear it in certain parts of the house, where there are copper pipes and not PVC pipes. There are no real solid patterns as of yet, just generally disappears late at night/early morning. At least I get a reprieve from my hum, some people are stuck hearing The Hum for decades. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just intrigued about the source and The Hum phenomenon a whole.

In all my time on the internet, I never actually stumbled upon any reference to it until I went looking.

Reading about the many, many reports of The Hum, not everyone can hear it. Only around 2% of people can hear it, even in areas with an identifiable source, such as a steelworks. Which got me thinking, I wonder if there is any kind of link with autism, after all, hyperacusis is a common trait. Also, an attitude of "your imagining it" "it's all in your head" and "paying too much attention to little things" from some people, sometimes even from medical professionals, sadly a common dismissal that many of us hear about some of our traits and struggles.

Now I don't know if the is actually any such thing as "THE Hum" More like A Hum. Or a series of hums with the same or similar characteristics. I've noticed 3 main theories/sources:

1. Coming from within the person, similar to tinnitus. I'm more sceptical of this, it just feels too dismissive.
2. Large industrial noise that many people in an area can hear and can be traced and corrected.
3. Smaller, local sources that very few people can hear.

There is an interesting project about The Hum, with some science involved, including information on how to pinpoint the exact frequency you can hear and common frequencies so you can eliminate common sources such as computer hard drives. There is also a world hum map and people can submit their own detailed experiences and situations:

So, has anyone else experienced "The Hum" in some form or another?

Just read up on this in the local press. I have The Hum. Very low, pulsating. I am utterly convinced that for myself at least it's a result of hearing damage from headphones/ear-buds. It strikes me that it's a phenomenon that has appeared exactly as the first generation of people who used headphones regularly reached middle age.

It is louder at night, during winter. Which makes sense, as noise travels further at night due to the general quietness and the less dense air.
Actually, cold air is  more dense than warm air. The higher density carries sound further (think putting an ear to a railroad track to hear a distant train approaching)

I was camping this past weekend and heard A Hum the whole time. I could tell it was stronger to the southwest, but couldn't identify it.

On a related note, I was puzzled to hear a definite "pulsation" to the wind sound in the trees on another camping trip, and started theorizing about standing wave patterns in the wind. When I got home, I noticed the same pulsing in the sound of the AC vent. When I timed it, I realized it was indeed pulsing. I was hearing my own pulse modulating the rushing air sound.:rolleyes:

I'm quite hard of hearing, which can make my ears sensitive to certain sounds but does not make me hear sounds others cannot.

I haven't heard a strange hum for some time, but I have heard such things. It tended to be at night. I haven't heard it for a few years now. It was very perplexing. And a bit annoying. It wasn't internal I'm sure of it. It sounded a bit far away and maybe, underground.

Just read up on this in the local press. I have The Hum. Very low, pulsating. I am utterly convinced that for myself at least it's a result of hearing damage from headphones/ear-buds. It strikes me that it's a phenomenon that has appeared exactly as the first generation of people who used headphones regularly reached middle age.
Ok, I turned down the volume on my headphones as soon as I read that... (when I'm outside, I usually have earplugs and then nc-headphones)

I've always been sensitive to both low frequency sounds below 60Hz and high frequency sounds above 13kHz. Though with tinnitus in my right ear, I'm always hearing some kind of undulating higher frequency sound 24/7.

In another audio era I used to be especially annoyed at times with "turntable rumble". Another aspect of unwanted sounds from the result of playing analog vinyl records. Something I was later able to subdue with a better receiver that could filter it out.

Last edited:
Mine is not constant.

But when I do notice it, it is extremely faint and the pitch is sort of like of crinkling cellophane or dozens of tiny sleighbells.

I also get visual snow.

I am more sensitive to high-frequency sounds, upwards of 25,000 Hz. I can often hear all the electrical equipment in the area, especially at work at the hospital. It's constant and the intensity goes up and down as I move around the building, in and out of rooms, etc. I also have 3 frequencies of tinnitus. Lucky me. ;)

A scientific article comparing autistic hearing vs. non-autistic individuals. Yes, it would appear we actually do hear things others do not.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010027717300963

There have been several research articles on sensitivity to sound in autistics as compared to neurotypical peers, in other words, at what level of decibels do we begin to be "bothered" by the intensity of the sound, or consider the sound as "loud" or "uncomfortable". The overall results would suggest that we tend to be more sensitive than our neurotypical peers. I would also fall into that category. I watch my television at a volume of "10-14" and my wife prefers it at "18-22".

I haven't found much on low-frequency sensitivity, per se. However, what data that is out there suggests that we have an enhanced high-frequency bias.

Last edited:
Back in the nineteen seventies and eighties, Ultrasonic burglar alarms were common in businesses usually directed at the entrance doors. Not only could I hear them, They were intensely painful. Fortunately, Earplugs knocked the sound out pretty well. Eventually, they were replaced with microwave or passive IR sensors.
Whew!:kissing:

I figured a group of people with potentially very sensitive hearing may have also experienced this phenomenon.

Have you ever been plagued by a constant low frequency humming noise that only you seem to be able to hear? Like a car engine idling down the street. Maybe this will shed some light on what it is, or isn't. Or maybe you will just find it interesting. Maybe you will experience it in future.

I first heard of "Largs Hum" way back around 2002 at high school when I copied a newspaper story for a homework assignment about a mystery noise in the town of Largs, Scotland.

It appears that many countries have a name for it, all named after a town or city. Largs Hum in Scotland, Bristol Hum in England, Omagh Hum in Northern Ireland, Taos Hum in America, Windsor Hum in Canada, Auckland Hum in New Zealand and probably plenty others.

Many years later, I heard it for myself one evening, then it went away and I never heard it again.

Well 3 months ago I started hearing it again. I can hear it as I'm typing this. I wonder what it could be this time. It happens most of the day. It has all the same characteristics as everything I've read about.

I can't hear it outdoors.

Fixed frequency and low frequency, less than 100Hz, approaching the lower limit of human hearing (20Hz)

Sometimes I only notice when it stops, usually when it is active, but I never seem to notice it starting. It only every stops abruptly.

So far I have narrowed it down to something vibrating through the pipework. I can only hear it in certain parts of the house, where there are copper pipes and not PVC pipes. There are no real solid patterns as of yet, just generally disappears late at night/early morning. At least I get a reprieve from my hum, some people are stuck hearing The Hum for decades. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just intrigued about the source and The Hum phenomenon a whole.

In all my time on the internet, I never actually stumbled upon any reference to it until I went looking.

Reading about the many, many reports of The Hum, not everyone can hear it. Only around 2% of people can hear it, even in areas with an identifiable source, such as a steelworks. Which got me thinking, I wonder if there is any kind of link with autism, after all, hyperacusis is a common trait. Also, an attitude of "your imagining it" "it's all in your head" and "paying too much attention to little things" from some people, sometimes even from medical professionals, sadly a common dismissal that many of us hear about some of our traits and struggles.

Now I don't know if the is actually any such thing as "THE Hum" More like A Hum. Or a series of hums with the same or similar characteristics. I've noticed 3 main theories/sources:

1. Coming from within the person, similar to tinnitus. I'm more sceptical of this, it just feels too dismissive.
2. Large industrial noise that many people in an area can hear and can be traced and corrected.
3. Smaller, local sources that very few people can hear.

There is an interesting project about The Hum, with some science involved, including information on how to pinpoint the exact frequency you can hear and common frequencies so you can eliminate common sources such as computer hard drives. There is also a world hum map and people can submit their own detailed experiences and situations:

So, has anyone else experienced "The Hum" in some form or another?
Years ago, on a specific spot in the living room my mother and I heard a strange hum/ vibration. As it turned out they were laying pipes down the street (impact moling).

Another hum I heard happened during sleep paralysis, I started seeing weird translucent patterns, accompanied by a sound similar to a washing machine. Concentrating on a triangle in the middle of my vision, I got a headache. This was one of the strangest experiences in my life. I think this is called hypnopompic hallucination.

What people describe as the hum might be different phenomena

Another hum I heard happened during sleep paralysis, I started seeing weird translucent patterns, accompanied by a sound similar to a washing machine.
From my early teens to my late 20s, my sleep paralysis  always began with a roaring in my ears. It was the same "freight train" roar you hear with a nearby tornado.
Hynopompic hallucinations occur during wakening, while hypnogogic hallucinations occur at sleep onset.

Back in the nineteen seventies and eighties, Ultrasonic burglar alarms were common in businesses usually directed at the entrance doors. Not only could I hear them, They were intensely painful. Fortunately, Earplugs knocked the sound out pretty well. Eventually, they were replaced with microwave or passive IR sensors.
Whew!:kissing:
Had a similar problem with ultrasonic pest repellents, someone a few streets away had one years ago and I was the only one who could hear it. I think it was a powerful farm grade one they were using in a residential area to deter cats. I had to avoid the area, it was nausea inducing. Thankfully I couldn't hear it where I lived. Ouch!

Another hum I heard happened during sleep paralysis, I started seeing weird translucent patterns, accompanied by a sound similar to a washing machine.
From my early teens to my late 20s, my sleep paralysis  always began with a roaring in my ears. It was the same "freight train" roar you hear with a nearby tornado.
Now that you mention it, I remember a roaring/whooshing in my ears during my first and so far only night terror.

One of those mysterious "hums" tends to be HVAC noises, particularly the furnace in winter relative to my downstairs neighbor. Not only a sound resonance, but also one I can hear at times in certain parts of my apartment. Not pleasant...

Off topic, maybe. I have poor hearing, not so much as things are too quiet to hear, but because hearing more than one sound at a time muddies up my whole range of hearing. Yet, I hear certain noises others cannot, or don’t notice. A young man working radio, I often used 55kc as a test tone. Now, my ears will still isolate that frequency from others, for instance in the shower where many frequencies exist. For many years, this also happened with other sounds, like a telephone ringing. I’m not imagining those sounds, my ears isolated them from other sounds. Nowadays it rarely happens, and only with 55 kilo cycles.

As a non-hum-hearer I kind of wonder if people hear the hum even when they're away from home.

Something tells me things like this are probably easily explained by common noise sources or hearing problems, although TBH I don't live in an area that's even quiet enough (thanks to the nearby highway, wildlife, etc) to hear something as subtle as a hum. My brain will fabricate noises from brown and white noise though, so I wouldn't doubt that dead-silence might also have a strange effect on me. For all I know, that's when 'the hum' awakens.

You know what scares me more than the hum? All of those 'sky trumpet' sounds people have been hearing in cities for years and years now. Those aren't subtle at all, and everyone can hear them when they happen.

I hear a low, soft roaring sound similar to what I would hear at oceanside. Thing is that I live about 520 meters above sea leavel, and 40km from the nearest ocean

New Threads

Top Bottom