• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice on train interest in autistic kid

Tatimax

Hello! My son is 8, autistic boy with intense interest in trains, train crashes and all-trains related. I am looking for suggestions on what else I can offer to facilitate this interest. He nailed train simulators: on iPad and PC including railroads online, derail valley, trainz. I got him the book “Train wrecks” by Robert Reed (big hit BTW). He has access to YouTube videos according to his interests and access to transportation museum with trains on display. What else can be of interest besides toys? Thank you!

He might like OpenTTD. It's not super trainish, more about the tracks. If he likes that tracks aspect he might also like the conveyor belts and train systems of Factorio, though that is designed for slightly older players IMO and has a bit of a learning curve. Suggest you try them out before offering to him, it might be unappealing.

Sounds like you've already answered your own question. I'd think YouTube would be the ultimate source of information on trains in general. A whole lot of information on trains in every category.

Could keep him perpetually fascinated. I especially like so many videos of trains in Europe going through the Alps in winter. And of course, many critiques of the quality of train rides for passengers contemplating such trips. Very relaxing to me personally.

Warning though. Videos of trains in real time crashing through vehicles and animals on the tracks are common as well. Quite graphic, and sometimes horrifying. Not really suitable for kids. A subject I have known about for decades, as my dearest cousin's husband was an Amtrak engineer for many years running passenger trains between LA and San Diego. Making for a sad ending for those who deliberately chose suicide on the tracks, at the expense of helpless train employees.

Last edited:
Hello! My son is 8, autistic boy with intense interest in trains, train crashes and all-trains related. I am looking for suggestions on what else I can offer to facilitate this interest. He nailed train simulators: on iPad and PC including railroads online, derail valley, trainz. I got him the book “Train wrecks” by Robert Reed (big hit BTW). He has access to YouTube videos according to his interests and access to transportation museum with trains on display. What else can be of interest besides toys? Thank you!
If you are in the vicinity of Chama NM or Durango CO, there are some delightful steam train excursions.

Out of Chama is the Cumbres and Toltec. I like that they have an open car for us photographers. At a section yard before returning or going on, they treat you to a wonderful spread. If you get to Chama early you can wander the yard and talk to crew. The views of the Eastern San Juan foothills is especially beautiful in the fall.

Then from Durango is the Durango to Silverton line. This is on the West side of the San Juan mountains. It is an amazing track as it follows the Animas River climbing up to Silverton with time to explore that tourist town before returning.

On your way between Durango and Chama is Pagosa Springs where you may relax and soak in some thermal waters.

Near where I used to live is the largest railway museum in our country, near Union, Illinois.

I loved trains as a kid as well. I liked watching Thomas the tank engine. They’re are so many tv shows and movies. He might be interested in stuff like that. There are also Thomas the tank engine books.

My favorite train ride was when I would catch the train at Philadephia's Union Station and go south to Washington DC for the day, whenever my employer sent me to Philly.

Not always the most scenic view of the Chesapeake Bay area, but I so loved riding the train itself.

Locally in Northern Nevada we're very proud of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad that you can travel a short but pleasant jaunt through the High Desert from Carson City to Virginia City.

VT_004.jpg

Last edited:
I am amused that drawings of steam engines in children's books are more likely to get the proportions of boiler vs cylinder correct than a lot of modern steam-revival enthusiasts, unless the cylinders are missing entirely.
My main interest in trains is in regard to the evolution of technology. Trains are built to suit steam engines, and now, they are obsolete except for a few high-traffic situations such as mining. A modern passenger train would be electric, and as versatile as a road expressway, but it would assemble and re-arrange trains at each interchange, using computer control to take over the driving on cars, trucks, and small delivery robots, running them almost touching at high speed. The steel wheels would be deployed for extra efficiency, and power could be supplied by the guard rail. You'd be under automatic control from the start of the entrance ramp. You'd punch in an exit number and relax until arrival there.

I know it's technically a toy, but what about train sets/model railroads (depending on your local preference)

It could be something you could both enjoy doing together and you have to put a lot of thought and planning into the track layouts. It can get pretty expensive but these days there's so much you can do by hooking trainsets up to computers and building up the scenery etc. It might be something that takes up a fair bit of space but there are usually quite big model railway communities and clubs (at least here in the UK) so there could be a social aspect to it too. I know there's an annual competition in the city near where I live where local groups get together to build large railways. It's a pretty big event :)

In Portland, Oregon, we have a railway heritage museum. Maybe someday take a vacation.

We actually have been there many times. Love it. My kid got inside the 4449 engine when it was out for maintenance. I think it was the happiest moment in his life:).

You could always throw something foreign and exotic at him and see how he reacts. In Australia we have big trucks we call Road Trains servicing a lot of the country. In the north of Western Australia we have huge mines that run driverless trains, and they're now running driverless road trains as well. A quick search for "pilbara" and "driverless" should find you some new entertainment for him.

pm-news-driverless-roadtrains-pilbara-1221-1024x561.png

You could always throw something foreign and exotic at him and see how he reacts. In Australia we have big trucks we call Road Trains servicing a lot of the country. In the north of Western Australia we have huge mines that run driverless trains, and they're now running driverless road trains as well. A quick search for "pilbara" and "driverless" should find you some new entertainment for him.

View attachment 129356
Totally worked!! Great idea, thanks.

New Threads

Top Bottom