• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies feel expressions on their face?

Werefang

I ask this because I was just asked by my evaluator and I guess I don’t really pay that much attention to my face to know so I said no but then the more I think about it (slow processor here) the more I think maybe it’s possible I do…? Any thoughts?

For NT’s, facial expressions seem to be unconscious and automatic. With practice, Aspies can consciously display the appropriate facial expressions. But ANYTHING done even consciously becomes automated and something you might not notice or even feel.

I realized a couple of years ago that I have practiced my facial expressions to the point that I’m like a piano player, not even looking at the keys but playing the tune perfectly.

I ask this because I was just asked by my evaluator and I guess I don’t really pay that much attention to my face to know so I said no but then the more I think about it (slow processor here) the more I think maybe it’s possible I do…? Any thoughts?
I know this one.

Hannah Gadsby speaks of people around here being confused because her face does not match her words.
She replies that she has not told her face what she feels so how can the face be in synch

Poorly formulated question.

I don't think I make a conscious effort to make facial expressions. But I've been told many times my facial expression doesn't quite match what I want to convey.

I basically agree with @AspieChris' post. I feel them, myself, but almost all of them are conscious. My feelings are intense, but my affect is not. I do have spontaneous, natural affect, but that can differ from NTs. My smiles tend to be half-smiles, for example.

I think I am probably more expressive around Autistic people.

It's kind of like I feel a thing, often overly strongly, but I won't show it unless I remember to tell my face to signal the feeling.

I wear a standard half smile face habitually so people won't keep asking me "What's wrong?" (I so hate that question), but don't actually feel half smiley, normally.

I probably end up half smiley in the wrong situations a lot as a result.

It's often that I get questions and comments about my mood, what I am thinking, etc. Evidently, my facial expressions and what I am actually feeling or thinking aren't matching up, or maybe they are, I don't know sometimes due to my alexithymia. On one hand, I guess I should be happy that others have some concern for me enough to say something, on the other hand, I am often confused by what they assume I am feeling or thinking based upon my facial expressions, as they are almost always wrong.

Short of a mirror, I Do not look at my face, been called smiley in the past just thought it was weird. women have told me reading me is difficult look serious a lot of the time. Usually joke this is not the case.

It varies. But I would say there is a tendency for autists to show less expression in their face then typical or show expressions not typically linked to the emotion they are experiencing. For example looking depressed when they are in fact content. But it's not universal. It's not uncommon for autists do show a natural range or close to it and others do it by masking/mimicry.

I don't feel the expression on my face usually because I'm not doing many facial expressions to begin with. Despite that, I feel conscious about what expressions I do try to make. I feel like I don't smile enough, and try to make an effort to do so in conversation. Sometimes it does come naturally, so I'd say it's a bit of both for me

I am neurodivergent and have no problems with facial expressions. I can usually read them and express myself the way I need.
I am actually pretty good at telling what a person is feeling even subtle feelings at times maybe not always correct
And that is why i question if I am really autistic or just have adhd.

This weekend I got a new computer desk and chair as a sort of late Christmas present, because my mom said we should until the snow and ice was gone before lugging it upstairs to my apartment. I had to really make sure I looked and acted very pleased and grateful for the gifts, because I knew my mom went through a bit of trouble to get them. And also my uncle and cousin, who assembled the desk, and my other uncle who took out the old desk and chair.
But I still can't help feeling it wasn't enough.

New Threads

Top Bottom