• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Hum

I figured a group of people with potentially very sensitive hearing may have also experienced this phenomenon.

Have you ever been plagued by a constant low frequency humming noise that only you seem to be able to hear? Like a car engine idling down the street. Maybe this will shed some light on what it is, or isn't. Or maybe you will just find it interesting. Maybe you will experience it in future.

I first heard of "Largs Hum" way back around 2002 at high school when I copied a newspaper story for a homework assignment about a mystery noise in the town of Largs, Scotland.

It appears that many countries have a name for it, all named after a town or city. Largs Hum in Scotland, Bristol Hum in England, Omagh Hum in Northern Ireland, Taos Hum in America, Windsor Hum in Canada, Auckland Hum in New Zealand and probably plenty others.

Many years later, I heard it for myself one evening, then it went away and I never heard it again.

Well 3 months ago I started hearing it again. I can hear it as I'm typing this. I wonder what it could be this time. It happens most of the day. It has all the same characteristics as everything I've read about.

It is louder at night, during winter. Which makes sense, as noise travels further at night due to the general quietness and the less dense air.

I can't hear it outdoors.

Fixed frequency and low frequency, less than 100Hz, approaching the lower limit of human hearing (20Hz)

Sometimes I only notice when it stops, usually when it is active, but I never seem to notice it starting. It only every stops abruptly.

So far I have narrowed it down to something vibrating through the pipework. I can only hear it in certain parts of the house, where there are copper pipes and not PVC pipes. There are no real solid patterns as of yet, just generally disappears late at night/early morning. At least I get a reprieve from my hum, some people are stuck hearing The Hum for decades. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just intrigued about the source and The Hum phenomenon a whole.

In all my time on the internet, I never actually stumbled upon any reference to it until I went looking.

Reading about the many, many reports of The Hum, not everyone can hear it. Only around 2% of people can hear it, even in areas with an identifiable source, such as a steelworks. Which got me thinking, I wonder if there is any kind of link with autism, after all, hyperacusis is a common trait. Also, an attitude of "your imagining it" "it's all in your head" and "paying too much attention to little things" from some people, sometimes even from medical professionals, sadly a common dismissal that many of us hear about some of our traits and struggles.

Now I don't know if the is actually any such thing as "THE Hum" More like A Hum. Or a series of hums with the same or similar characteristics. I've noticed 3 main theories/sources:

1. Coming from within the person, similar to tinnitus. I'm more sceptical of this, it just feels too dismissive.
2. Large industrial noise that many people in an area can hear and can be traced and corrected.
3. Smaller, local sources that very few people can hear.

There is an interesting project about The Hum, with some science involved, including information on how to pinpoint the exact frequency you can hear and common frequencies so you can eliminate common sources such as computer hard drives. There is also a world hum map and people can submit their own detailed experiences and situations:

So, has anyone else experienced "The Hum" in some form or another?

I'll offer you two candidates as to what it is. If it's being transmitted along the pipes, it could be a pump used to push water through or past a low point in the plumbing, where it needs to travel uphill. One trick I learned working on engines is that you can take a hard object like a wrench, and you can press one end to another object and the other end to your ear, and it works like a stethoscope. Mechanics use that technique to figure out which of several pulleys is grinding.

The other possibility in that frequency range is AC/line hum. In the US that is 60Hz. Elsewhere it's 50Hz, but it's a low-frequency noise in the range you describe. Transformers (and power supplies) are a common source of line-current hum. Yes, I'm familiar with the tendency to notice minute and sometimes irritating details. This noise is the itchy tag in your shirt collar.

I'll offer you two candidates as to what it is. If it's being transmitted along the pipes, it could be a pump used to push water through or past a low point in the plumbing, where it needs to travel uphill. One trick I learned working on engines is that you can take a hard object like a wrench, and you can press one end to another object and the other end to your ear, and it works like a stethoscope.
Thanks for the tip. So I clamped a magic arm mount for camera hardware with the rubber pads removed to every pipe coming in and out of the boiler/water heater (it made an excellent improvised stethoscope) and I got an amplified hum from the main water pipe. Looks like it could indeed be a water pump. Could be a pump in a neighbour's house, maybe a nearby pump house.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for the tip. So I clamped a magic arm mount for camera hardware with the rubber pads removed to every pipe coming in and out of the boiler/water heater (it made an excellent improvised stethoscope) and I got an amplified hum from the main water pipe. Looks like it could indeed be a water pump. Could be a pump in a neighbour's house, maybe a nearby pump house.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum! :)

Neat. I hope it at least gets you some peace of mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom