• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pets?

Roxy

We've always had a cat in our household. Cats are great because they don't require anything from me other than food and water and there are 4 adults in this house who can offer that (plus the occasional stroking). About 2 months ago we got a puppy (who is growing to be quite a big dog!). I love her to bits. I feel a connection to her that I've never felt with people. Maybe it's because everything is done on my terms, I don't know. Whatever it is, I'm so glad I was talked into getting her. (by the way, her name's Roxy ;))

Pets are a wonderful thing. My family has always had dogs. I've always felt connected to them. I think because they love you no matter what. They don't judge us. They don't require more than we can offer them. They know when they are needed in a greater quantity than other times. I hope you enjoy you're new puppy. What kind of puppy did you get?

Pets are a wonderful thing. My family has always had dogs. I've always felt connected to them. I think because they love you no matter what. They don't judge us. They don't require more than we can offer them. They know when they are needed in a greater quantity than other times. I hope you enjoy you're new puppy. What kind of puppy did you get?

She's a German Shephard cross Border Collie. She's a rescue dog brought over from Ireland :wub:

Well

I had a Blue Merle Sheltie, but I had to put her down. All we have is two Gerbels, and two Hamsters. My wife is allergic to dogs and extremely to cats. I love pets!

As well as Roxy, we have...
2 ferrets
a cat
2 bearded dragons
a lovebird

We also had a Jenday Conure but he had to go because he was tooooooo noisy!

I love my dog the most though.

I love pets, when I was really little(about 8ish) I had alot of hamsters and a budgie as I wasn't allowed anything bigger. then when I was about 12 I got a gerbil, then another 2, then 3 hamsters, 4 fish 2 finches and eventually a dog (and a rabbit for a few months but I had to give her up). Then I got another dog (I was 16 by then).

I still have that dog and when I first move din with my husband he had a cat so I had a cat for a couple of years before he died at the ripe old age of 25. We've since had lots of fish (an obsession I had for 4 years) and a couple of rabbits that we had for a few months before our daughter became bored with them so I found them a new home(and she's not allowed rabbits again).

We really want cats again but my dog does not like them, she tolerated the old cat because he was so fierce and put her in her place once and after that they were fine together. Once our dog dies we'll be getting some cats, I want to foster 3 or 4 old cats (aged 10+) because they are always the ones left for a long time in shelters so I want to give some old ones a home for their last few years but my daughter and husband want a pair of kittens. I also really really wnat fish again but we haven't the space for tanks anymore so I'll have to wait until we move house.

I love cats, but I can't take dogs. There's way too much sensory overload for me. They smell terrible, and they're so loud. No dogs. God, I hate them...

Dogs have always been in interest/obsession with me. Studying their behavior learning about the breeds and the tempermant. I currently have a 10 month old pitbull named Dixie and a 8 year old Italian Greyhound named Trinity. They are the world to me and I will do anything for them.

I have always preferred cats rather than dogs. They just seem to be more civilised and independent whereas dogs just seem to want attention most of the time.

We have 2 dogs & a cat. It's true that cats are significantly less work & are much more autonomous. The cat never needs to be walked, doesn't go nuts when the doorbell rings & isn't overly excitable. In terms of veterinary costs, the cat costs almost nothing. Dogs are much more social animals & require more attention. Some breeds are more aggressive, some more active, some more clingy & others are loud & hyper. You've got to be aware of behavioural tendencies & health needs when choosing a dog. If you want a dog you can bring with you when you're out & about, you need something small, calm, quiet & yet sociable. That's part of what compelled me to get a pug. She also sleeps a lot so I get some peace. My daughter's Great Dane is another story altogether! These dogs are prone to health issues & the vet bills can really add up. He also gallops through the house like a horse.

At the moment we have a golden cocker spaniel called Scooby aged 11 months. Before that we had a Bichon named Charlie, but had to give him away. bfore that we had another Bichon called Teddy we had him for 15 years

I've always had cats and feared dogs (bitten by a neighbor's dog several times as a child) but my husband's a huge dog person and thinks the right one would help with some of my anxiety. And being able to travel with it, like camping and stuff, would provide some sense of security for me. So I'm thinking about getting one.

Our family had a cat, but she died about 12 years ago(( I prefer cats, as my mother - they are really cute:) Now we have a pair of a giant african snails - really don't know could be these creatures called "pets" (in US these snails considered dangerous pests).

My family has 3 dogs and two cats. We use to have 14 birds. Noise bugs me a lot, so my dogs quickly learn appropriate behavior around me. They are small, sweet, and sleep a lot. Quiet lap dogs. Dogs are awesome - loyal and nonjudgmental.

download.jpg I'm soooo tempted to adopt another pug: this time a black one like the guy in this photo. I'm trying to use my common sense & logic to convince myself that I already have enough with the fawn coloured pug, the Great Dane & an old black cat, but I really really really want to add a guy like this to our family.

I have three cats and a dog (lost one a year ago) I've had up to seven tanks up at once. I'm down to two. Both saltwater. One still needs to be set up. I love my porcupine puffer.

For a while I was taking care of a dog and a cat that belong to my daughter and granddaughter. They were finally able to take them to their new house and I miss them, but I can at least visit them when I go to my daughter's house.

Since the dog and cat are no longer here two stray cats started hanging around and I feed them. Then a skunk and a small opossum started to come around at night to eat the cat food, so I started to feed them also. The skunk is really funny, he'll come right up to the door to beg for food. He scratches on the glass panes on the french doors and makes little grunting noises. Then I bring some food out for him, being really careful not to get too close or scare him. He's a really friendly little skunk, sometimes I see him hanging out in the yard with the black and white cat. The cat lays in the sun and the skunk hobbles around the yard and they just kind of ignore each other.

Probably thinks he's a cat too. Gets fed like the rest of them. Kind of looks like one of them. Name him Fluffy or a common cat name. Muffin.

Top Bottom