• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

danielcollins

I'm curious to know what people's general outlook on life is, very high level - beit positive or negative.

I've come to realise over the last few years that I'm a very positive person, I rarely get angry and I'm more willing to just accept (most) things for what they are. But with this realization comes that I find most people are not this, in contrast they have quite a negative outlook on life.

Everything (to them) seems depressing, tax, work, friends etc. I'm finding it quite hard handling the negativity that currently surrounds me, as I'm sure others are I'm very influenced by others mood/thoughts etc and finding that I'm quite easily dragged down.

I am making a generalisation and I'm happy to be corrected - just my thoughts from my perspective.

Keep coming back to this, whenever this crops up and I just think "Is life so bad it's worth being that negative?" not that I'm underestimating the hardships people go through. Suppose from my perspective I've always thought that thinking negative leads to a negative demeanor.

I'm also a sufferer of depression, anxiety, OCD, echolalia.. the list is long. So I'm not always happy, but I suppose I'm never negative about it. I get sad, rather than angry.

Maybe I'm blinded by my own fixed perspective.

Anyway - I'd love to hear what people's general outlook is on life and kick off a discussion..

My outlook on life is generally positive. I have been around for a long time and have been lucky enough to had a pretty good life. I have a wonderful wife and family. That is what it is all about.

Interesting that you want and desire to be positive, I would rather be in a positive frame of mind than a negative one. Likely as a result of familiarity with depression, being in the clutches of depression is so painful and self-destructive that I would much rather perceive of the world in any other way than that. Existing in that 'black hole' is something I would avoid at all costs. It's one of the most painful places I've ever been. And I don't wish to ever go there again.

Tend to look at the world in a much more positive way as a result.

I am a very negative person and always have been.
Few things ever matter to me, and the realization I will probably be alone and on assistance forever makes me have no drive to do anything.
No point, friends move on and I often can't tag along due to having low funds or being single (none of them are anymore).
So I don't often actually see my friends.
My hobbies don't matter nor do they make me that happy.
I want to connect with others more then anything but can't, I am alone and it will always be this way.
It's a drudging existence until the end.

I am a very negative person and always have been.
Few things ever matter to me, and the realization I will probably be alone and on assistance forever makes me have no drive to do anything.
No point, friends move on and I often can't tag along due to having low funds or being single (none of them are anymore).
So I don't often actually see my friends.
My hobbies don't matter nor do they make me that happy.
I want to connect with others more then anything but can't, I am alone and it will always be this way.
It's a drudging existence until the end.
Thanks for sharing - without throwing labels around that does sound like depression, not that knowing that necessarily fixes anything.

I know the feeling of social exclusion, you feel you miss out on a lot of things just because "it's just you". Being an aspie comes with this to some degree..

Thanks for sharing - without throwing labels around that does sound like depression, not that knowing that necessarily fixes anything.

I know the feeling of social exclusion, you feel you miss out on a lot of things just because "it's just you". Being an aspie comes with this to some degree..

More then just some.
Yeah I imagine it is depression but I have no real desire to do anything because as I said, I am limited in life.
I don't want to just live my life doing stupid hobbies, I am tired of it all.
No point to it, as I get older, its just a waste of time.

My outlook on life is general somewhat positive. I do often am suspicious maybe even borderline cynical of others others and their intents. It's not that I everyone I encounter has intentions that do not line up with my own since most people do to at least to some extent. The flip side is it would be naive to think nothing will happen to me or that everyone I encounter will be nice friendly people. The way I view my outlook on life and the challenges it comes with is a balance of optimism and realism.

New Threads

Top Bottom