• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

just did a self blood test!

Dalton

so i received the "Eldoncard Blood Type Testing Kit, Blood Typing Test Kit w/ Instructions (Single)" in the mail today, and after pricking my finger and looking at the result my blood type is o negative! For anyone who doesn't know, o negative is the rarest, which makes the supply of type o more scarce than other types. Pro: Type O negative is known as the "universal donor" type. This type of blood can be donated to anyone. Blood group O indivuduals do not have either A or B surface antigens on their red blood cells. It is only present in 1 out of 15 individuals. This means approximately 6.6% of the population has O negative blood. The reason i've done this test is because i'm studying human anatomy over the summer!
I'm hoping to perhaps become a nurse one day, as literally my entire family are or have been in the nursing field(except my dad he does IT.)

Everything you said is true for the bit about O- being the rarest. Here's the breakdown of blood types by population:
39%: O+
36%: A+
7.6%: B+
7.0%: O-
6.0%: A-
2.5%: AB+
1.4%: B-
0.5%: AB-

You're absolutely right about O- being the universal red blood cell donor, and that anyone can receive your blood if you donate. AB+ would be a universal recipient, able to receive red blood cells from anyone.

Interestingly, though, the situation is completely reversed when it comes to Plasma, another component in blood. Because Plasma contains antibodies to the surface antigens not found in the donor's blood, the recipient of plasma must, in fact, have less surface antigens than the donor. So, for plasma, AB+ would be a universal donor, and O- would be a universal recipient.

This means that, for red blood cells, you are a universal donor, but for plasma, you're a universal recipient!

Good luck in your pursuit of Nursing.
:)

I am ashamed to say that after three surgeries, and being in my 60s, I have never found out what my blood type is! Thanks for reminding me to find out!

Didn’t know that!
Anyway, thanks for the interesting fact, and also for wishing me luck!

Everything you said is true for the bit about O- being the rarest. Here's the breakdown of blood types by population:
39%: O+
36%: A+
7.6%: B+
7.0%: O-
6.0%: A-
2.5%: AB+
1.4%: B-
0.5%: AB-

You're absolutely right about O- being the universal red blood cell donor, and that anyone can receive your blood if you donate. AB+ would be a universal recipient, able to receive red blood cells from anyone.

Interestingly, though, the situation is completely reversed when it comes to Plasma, another component in blood. Because Plasma contains antibodies to the surface antigens not found in the donor's blood, the recipient of plasma must, in fact, have less surface antigens than the donor. So, for plasma, AB+ would be a universal donor, and O- would be a universal recipient.

This means that, for red blood cells, you are a universal donor, but for plasma, you're a universal recipient!

Good luck in your pursuit of Nursing.
:)

New Threads

Top Bottom