• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there any good pills out there that help with PMS?

Amethystgirl

I'm a 40 year old autistic woman and I hate my PMS mood swings. I don't want to take birth control pills. Are there any non-prescription pills that help with the mood swings of PMS?

There is a very old remedy that is still available on Amazon- Lydia Pinkham pills.
They really helped me until I started taking birth control pills.
They are a natural herbal and vitamin supplement.

I'm really surprised they are still available, because my mom knew about them and started me on them when I was 13 for mood and cramps in 1970.
Look them up on Amazon and you can read the ingredients.

There are a lot of votamin supplements that can be effective including:
- B vitamins
- calcium and/or vitamin D
- magnesium (with B6)
- omega-3 fatty acids
- herbal supplements such as vitex and ashwaganda, eveining primrose oil, anything for hormone balance, there are a few more
- calming herbal teas such as lemon balm, hop cones, there are quite a few

My sister swears by starflower supplements. She's got menstrual pain to treat as well, though.

Look for an over-the-counter product called Estroven. It's made with plant phytoestrogens such as soy, black cohosh and other plants. It worked for me.

Look for an over-the-counter product called Estroven. It's made with plant phytoestrogens such as soy, black cohosh and other plants. It worked for me.

Isn't soy really unhealthy for women or estrogen-dominant bodies, increasing the risk of breast cancer? Have always heard that to be the case.

No. That is an old wives' tale, totally debunked by science.

Ah, ok, thank you for the correction, I appreciate it. If anyone has peer-reviewed sources, that would be brilliant.

What is true is that soy is horrible for soil integrity. It's a really destructive, life-draining crop.

Vitex (chasteberry) is lovely. I also enjoy motherwort and red clover.

Rubbing castor oil on the tummy every night does wonders for the female reproductive system.

But the big secret to balancing hormones is Bioidentical Progesterone Cream. You rub it on daily in a spot where it won't wash or rub off, like the tummy or thighs.

Severe PMS symptoms occur because of an imbalance of female hormones. If one is estrogen dominant, due to stress, excessive soy, lack of sleep, poor diet, etc, It will cause androgens and estrogen to rise, while progesterone the feel good, feminizing hormone plummets.

Rubbing on bioidentical progesterone helped me immensely when I had fibroids and PCOS. I've since healed. It also helps with controlling tearyness during that time of the month. And perimenopausal women will find that it helps reduce night sweats.

Emerita is a brand that makes a fabulous Wild Yam derived Progesterone cream. It's really the gold standard.

I hope you get a lot of relief.

Isn't soy really unhealthy for women or estrogen-dominant bodies, increasing the risk of breast cancer? Have always heard that to be the case.
Yes it is. You are absolutely correct. Naturopathic doctors are now very opposed to the consumption of soy products. The excessive consumption of soy lowers TSH and FT4 thyroid hormones, leading to hormonal imbalances.

This includes, hirtruism, heavy bleeding, cramping, bloating, emotional problems, even hairloss.

Soy affects the endocrine system so radically, that studies have even shown that if a thyroid patient takes their meds with soy milk, that there is lower absorption.

I do enjoy a little tofu every now and again. I do make a mean tofu quiche. But I only consume soy maybe three or less times a year, to tell the truth.

Yes it is. You are absolutely correct. Naturopathic doctors are now very opposed to the consumption of soy products. The excessive consumption of soy lowers TSH and FT4 thyroid hormones, leading to hormonal imbalances.

This includes, hirtruism, heavy bleeding, cramping, bloating, emotional problems, even hairloss.

Soy affects the endocrine system so radically, that studies have even shown that if a thyroid patient takes their meds with soy milk, that there is lower absorption.
three or less times a year, to tell the truth.

Research indicates that consumption of soy by Asian women likely has a prophylactic effect against breast cancer. If soy did contribute to breast cancer, then we'd see high rates of breast cancer in the Asian population. Yet, no such spike in rates occurs or is documented. Asian populations have historically lower rates of cardiovascular disease, menopause symptoms, breast cancers and other hormone dependent cancers, diabetes and obesity than western populations.

While soy may act as a moderate endocrine disruptor, its health benefits outweigh that concern and research is now focused on the greater dangers of synthetic endocrine disruptors such as PCBs, pesticides such as DDT, and plasticizers such as phthalates.

One thing we do know for sure is that eating red meat increases the risk of breast cancer and many other cancers.

One thing we do know for sure is that eating red meat increases the risk of breast cancer and many other cancers.

Ah noooooo! Because I crave flesh & blood on my period, even when I take extra iron and stock up on greens. It’s like I go full Ginger Snaps for a few days😭

Ah noooooo! Because I crave flesh & blood on my period, even when I take extra iron and stock up on greens. It’s like I go full Ginger Snaps for a few days😭

If we avoided eating everything that has a health risk, we'd all starve! Eat meat, in moderation, as part of an overall balanced diet. I love a good steak cooked on the charcoal grill. My favorite is to make beef tenderloin skewers with chunks of onion, bell peppers and mushrooms to go with it.

But the big secret to balancing hormones is Bioidentical Progesterone Cream. You rub it on daily in a spot where it won't wash or rub off, like the tummy or thighs.
Daily? Is it recommended for people who menstruate (not menopausal) as well? What I've seen so far was recommendation to use the progesterone cream (or other bioidentical progesterone forms) in the second half of the cycle.

the big secret to balancing hormones is Bioidentical Progesterone Cream. You rub it on daily in a spot where it won't wash or rub off, like the tummy or thighs.

Severe PMS symptoms occur because of an imbalance of female hormones. If one is estrogen dominant, due to stress, excessive soy, lack of sleep, poor diet, etc, It will cause androgens and estrogen to rise, while progesterone the feel good, feminizing hormone plummets.

Is it mandatory to get hormone tests before and during use of progesterone? Or can you self-dx? Because I wonder whether my hormones or something are out of whack (could also be adrenals/cortisol tbf), but I cannot get tests for anything out of my doctors (NHS).

New Threads

Top Bottom