• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Universal horror

Lemon Zing

thesaunderschild
Are Bela Lugosi and John Carradine meant to be the same Count Dracula?

It was a very fun universe, but what is funny was that some actors alternated the monster roles.

Bela Lugosi was actually Frankenstein's monster at one point, as was Lon Chaney, Jr. as well. Yet he always appeared as the Wolf Man.

Even Boris Karloff returned, but as a villain. He sank in a swamp, I recall.

It's a reference to the scene from Monty Python & the Holy Grail, referring to a castle that was rebuilt a slightly excessive number of times. A very funny movie.
If I hear/read a phrase that is uncommon in everyday speech, and I have heard that phrase at any time previously in my life, that past reference is instantaneously brought to mind and I have to verbalize/write it.
It's one of the reasons I often got accused of being weird.

Then consider that Bela Lugosi, Glenn Strange and Boris Karloff all played the role of the Frankenstein monster under the Universal banner. I loved how they tried to make them all consistent in appearance.

Reminding me of the Hammer films that seemed indifferent to as to how they portrayed Frankenstein's monster. Though they did make Oliver Reed appear as one nasty werewolf!

Last edited:
The most universally horrific movie I have seen has to be A Serbian Film.

The most universally horrific movie I have seen has to be A Serbian Film.

Sounds like you missed "Flesh For Frankenstein". About a Serbian Dr. Frankenstein played by Udo Kier. Often referred as "Andy Warhol's Frankenstein", though I never saw where Warhol actually had much to do with the production. Definitely not from Universal.

It was so bad it was funny. And of course they also produced "Blood for Dracula" which was even better (unintentionally funnier). But not in the range of "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

Yes, Udo Kier is in both of those. They were also issued as a double bill, per Variety. 😃
That's how I saw them in the theater....double billing. Very campy, fun horror films.

Udo Kier was so funny as Dracula, leaning over a bathtub to puke up all the blood of a girl who wasn't a virgin. Where the camera angle was from the drain of the tub. Made for a very anemic vampire, often having to be moved around in a wheelchair.

And Joe Dallesandro was so out of place with his Brooklyn accent, while everyone else sounded Italian, British and Eastern European. Hysterical, overall.

Had Bela Lugosi seen that film he probably would have bitten Kier himself. :p

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom