• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Behavioral Improvement in my son

This is a link to a study

What is not talked about in the study...is what dairy, wheat and soy have in common...they are all big sources of MSG....everyone that participated in this study got some benefit...some more then others...

Comprehensive Nutritional and Dietary Intervention for Autism Spectrum Disorder

Abstract
This study involved a randomized, controlled, single-blind 12-month treatment study of a comprehensive nutritional and dietary intervention. Participants were 67 children and adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) ages 3-58 years from Arizona and 50 non-sibling neurotypical controls of similar age and gender. Treatment began with a special vitamin/mineral supplement, and additional treatments were added sequentially, including essential fatty acids, Epsom salt baths, carnitine, digestive enzymes, and a healthy gluten-free, casein-free, soy-free (HGCSF) diet. There was a significant improvement in nonverbal intellectual ability in the treatment group compared to the non-treatment group (+6.7 ± 11 IQ points vs. -0.6 ± 11 IQ points, p = 0.009) based on a blinded clinical assessment. Based on semi-blinded assessment, the treatment group, compared to the non-treatment group, had significantly greater improvement in autism symptoms and developmental age. The treatment group had significantly greater increases in EPA, DHA, carnitine, and vitamins A, B2, B5, B6, B12, folic acid, and Coenzyme Q10. The positive results of this study suggest that a comprehensive nutritional and dietary intervention is effective at improving nutritional status, non-verbal IQ, autism symptoms, and other symptoms in most individuals with ASD. Parents reported that the vitamin/mineral supplements, essential fatty acids, and HGCSF diet were the most beneficial.

Attachments

• 12 Month Study Comprehensive Nutritional and Dietary Intervention.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My daughters asthma has vanished....in the past she had been admitted to hospital emergency rooms on 2 occasions with week long visits...she could not enter homes with cats...etc...

if she goes off diet...symptoms begin to return....

Here is a study linking MSG to asthma in some people

Attachments

• Monosodium L-glutamate-induced asthma.pdf
    710.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is another case....suggesting a few things...

That food and autism symptoms can be linked in some situations...
and that diet can treat some people and resolve their autism symptoms.....

Celiac disease presenting as autism.

Gluten-restricted diets have become increasingly popular among parents seeking treatment for children diagnosed with autism. Some of the reported response to celiac diets in children with autism may be related to amelioration of nutritional deficiency resulting from undiagnosed gluten sensitivity and consequent malabsorption. A case is presented of a 5-year-old boy diagnosed with severe autism at a specialty clinic for autistic spectrum disorders. After initial investigation suggested underlying celiac disease and varied nutrient deficiencies, a gluten-free diet was instituted along with dietary and supplemental measures to secure nutritional sufficiency. The patient's gastrointestinal symptoms rapidly resolved, and signs and symptoms suggestive of autism progressively abated. This case is an example of a common malabsorption syndrome associated with central nervous system dysfunction and suggests that in some contexts, nutritional deficiency may be a determinant of developmental delay. It is recommended that all children with neurodevelopmental problems be assessed for nutritional deficiency and malabsorption syndromes.

Attachments

• Celiac Disease Presenting as Autism-Full Study.pdf
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
I have to say that the material presented by the OP is becoming more and more bizarre, and less attached to any reality that I'm familiar with.

Here is another case....suggesting a few things...

That food and autism symptoms can be linked in some situations...
and that diet can treat some people and resolve their autism symptoms.....

Celiac disease presenting as autism.

Gluten-restricted diets have become increasingly popular among parents seeking treatment for children diagnosed with autism. Some of the reported response to celiac diets in children with autism may be related to amelioration of nutritional deficiency resulting from undiagnosed gluten sensitivity and consequent malabsorption. A case is presented of a 5-year-old boy diagnosed with severe autism at a specialty clinic for autistic spectrum disorders. After initial investigation suggested underlying celiac disease and varied nutrient deficiencies, a gluten-free diet was instituted along with dietary and supplemental measures to secure nutritional sufficiency. The patient's gastrointestinal symptoms rapidly resolved, and signs and symptoms suggestive of autism progressively abated. This case is an example of a common malabsorption syndrome associated with central nervous system dysfunction and suggests that in some contexts, nutritional deficiency may be a determinant of developmental delay. It is recommended that all children with neurodevelopmental problems be assessed for nutritional deficiency and malabsorption syndromes.

That article appears to be stating that some people have been misdiagnosed as being autistic when in fact they have been malnourished?
"nutritional deficiency may be a determinant of developmental delay"

If what people ate made no difference in how they feel and behave,
then I'd be able to use cow milk, tomatoes, potatoes, bananas, etc.

But it does make a difference.
While it doesn't "cure" me of anything, removing offending substances
reduces pain, emotional confusion...etc.

The 2010 report must unfortunately be discounted as way out of date and presented from a biased perspective. It's prevalence figure of 1 in 150 was out of date even as it was published and it's scare tactic description of autism and it's epidemic proportion is nothing short of irresponsible., as well as inaccurate.
The more recent report may be more valid if we can get some more detail of what "symptoms" they claim to have ameliorated, and if course discount the conflict of interest statement.
Diet and asthma - yes a link is possible, even likely, as is where you live. The diet may well have helped a lot.
It's the symptoms they are labelling as autism we need to know about. Autism is genetic. We are born with it. Of that there is no reasonable doubt, so knowing what they claim to have eased us essential to make judgement.

I don't think it meant it the way you say it. If genetic polymorphisms are not silenced by high quality nutrition, they will express. And if they are being expressed they can be silenced though diet. It is called epigenetics.

Oh yes, and while MSG has been a perennial bogeyman for many years - there's no evidence it's harmful. It's widely used in Asian cookery with zero observed consequences. As I said, your body absolutely will make its own glutamate anyhow.

you want to tell me how harmless vitamin "MSG" is.....

I don't think you know what you're typing...

this is what you're endorsing...

-That a chemical be added to children's food....thats so hated by parents companies have to hide it under over 50 different names(flavors, spices,yeast extract, hydrolyzed proteins...etc)

-that has no nutritional or therapeutic value...(then its only value is potential harm)

-with no limits to the amount...

-this chemical is one of the bodies most important neurotransmitters...

-other posters(who I don't know and have no communication with) in this thread have said they have issues with this chemical also...(taken as a whole, there are many people who don't do well with neurotransmitters sprinkled on their food like salt and pepper)

-and you want to feed it to children?....just because.....

-and expect there to be no problems and a free lunch...uh-huh...

I could go on...like the study I posted about MSG/asthma and my daughter...

If you want to eat vitamin "G" all day....go ahead...bon appetite....me not so much...I avoid it like the plague...

If its so safe...why do they have to hide it from parents...

Last edited:
My daughters asthma has vanished....in the past she had been admitted to hospital emergency rooms on 2 occasions with week long visits...she could not enter homes with cats...etc...

Congrats, you've finally discovered that people can at some point grow out of things such as Asthma (the same can be said for Allergies in most people)

Also, we need our vitamins as they're essential to our bodies to function (aside from water and food obviously), and no matter how much you try to avoid them (in your case, Vitamin G (more commonly known as Riboflavin which helps with various bodily functions such as oxygen absorption, helps break down carbohydrates, fat, and proteins into needed energy and is also used for the development and function of the skin, lining of the digestive tract, blood cells and other vital organs), it's in all our food and drinks whether you like it or not.

So, good luck with trying to avoid it :)

@Isadoorian

It is a mis-statement to say that allergies can, for most people, be outgrown.
Some do; some don't.

And, teens and adults....of all ages....can develop allergies.

"Early results from a large national survey reveal that gaining a food allergy in adulthood is more common than previously known. The research, led by pediatrician Dr. Ruchi Gupta, shows that slightly more than half of American adults report developing at least one food allergy after the age of 18."
Half of American Adults Growing into Food Allergies, Finds Study

Outgrowing Allergies
https://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/adult-onset-allergies#1
Food allergy: Can it develop later in life?

you want to tell me how harmless vitamin "G" is.....

I don't think you know what you're typing...

this is what you're endorsing...

-That a chemical be added to children's food....thats so hated by parents companies have to hide it under over 50 different names(flavors, spices,yeast extract, hydrolyzed proteins...etc)

-that has no nutritional or therapeutic value...(then its only value is potential harm)

-with no limits to the amount...

-this chemical is one of the bodies most important neurotransmitters...

-other posters(who I don't know and have no communication with) in this thread have said they have issues with this chemical also...(taken as a whole, there are many people who don't do well with neurotransmitters sprinkled on their food like salt and pepper)

-and you want to feed it to children?....just because.....

-and expect there to be no problems and a free lunch...uh-huh...

I could go on...like the study I posted about MSG/asthma and my daughter...

If you want to eat vitamin "G" all day....go ahead...bon appetite....me not so much...I avoid it like the plague...

If its so safe...why do they have to hide it from parents...

Sorry, you have lost any respect I may have had for you up to now, this rant sounds like the language conspiracy theorists use.

ac75 civil.png

What is vitamin G?
Back in the early 1980s my 1st Husband would take me out to a nice Japanese restaurant. This is before MSG was talked about, or if it was I hadn’t heard about it.
On the drive home, every time, I would get a tingling/weird crawling feeling up the back of my neck. Then my scalp would feel tight and I would get a terrible headache.
I’m sure this was MSG. I’m not a person that is sensitive to substances and I have a slight allergy to high pollen levels. But MSG really affects me, although Ive been eating it all the time but didn’t know it. If a labels says MSG, I don’t buy it but never realized it’s listed under all these other names.
It’s funny to think that MSG would make me detail-oriented and a poor liar.

Sneaky Names For MSG (Check Your Labels!)

Hidden Names For MSG And Free Glutamic Acid:

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid.

• Glutamic Acid (E 620)2
  • Glutamate (E 620)
  • Monosodium Glutamate (E 621)
  • Monopotassium Glutamate (E 622)
  • Calcium Glutamate (E 623)
  • Monoammonium Glutamate (E 624)
  • Magnesium Glutamate (E 625)
  • Natrium Glutamate
  • Yeast Extract
  • Anything hydrolyzed
  • Any hydrolyzed protein
  • Calcium Caseinate
  • Sodium Caseinate
  • Yeast Food
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • Autolyzed Yeast
  • Gelatin
  • Textured Protein
  • Soy Protein Isolate
  • Whey Protein Isolate
  • Anything :protein
  • Vetsin
  • Ajinomoto

Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid

• Carrageenan (E 407)
  • Bouillon and broth
  • Stock
  • Any flavors or flavoring
  • Maltodextrin
  • Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
  • Anything ultra-pasteurized
  • Barley malt
  • Pectin (E 440)
  • Protease
  • Anything enzyme modified
  • Anything containing enzymes
  • Malt extract
  • Soy sauce
  • Soy sauce extract
  • Anything protein fortified
  • Seasonings

@BraidedPony "What is vitamin G?"

An older designation for one of the B vitamins.

"Vitamin G isn’t a term you’ll hear very much anymore. It’s actually an outdated name for riboflavin (also known as lactoflavin and vitamin B2), a micronutrient named for its intense gold color. The word riboflavin comes from “ribos” (a kind of sugar) and the Latin word “flavus” (which means yellow)"
Vitamin G Deficiency Symptoms - The Pain Diet

Vitamin G dictionary definition | vitamin G defined
vitamin G - Memidex dictionary/thesaurus
Vitamin G definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
vitamin G - Dictionary Definition

=======================
Post #69 appears to use the words "vitamin 'G'" as some
kind of slang reference to MSG, however.

What is vitamin G?
Back in the early 1980s my 1st Husband would take me out to a nice Japanese restaurant. This is before MSG was talked about, or if it was I hadn’t heard about it.
On the drive home, every time, I would get a tingling/weird crawling feeling up the back of my neck. Then my scalp would feel tight and I would get a terrible headache.
I’m sure this was MSG. I’m not a person that is sensitive to substances and I have a slight allergy to high pollen levels. But MSG really affects me, although Ive been eating it all the time but didn’t know it. If a labels says MSG, I don’t buy it but never realized it’s listed under all these other names.
It’s funny to think that MSG would make me detail-oriented and a poor liar.

My error...I meant to type....... vitamin "MSG"... I was trying to be funny

Thank you for sharing that story.....

I was admitted to hospital 10 years back for what I thought was a heart attack...I had a racing heart that I thought was going to burst out of my chest....they tested me and I had no hormones to indicate I was having a heart attack....the heart rate slowly returned to normal...and doctors were at a lose to explain the elevated heart rate...

but earlier that day I had a Angus burger from a major fast food chain .....I had not eaten at this particular restaurant chain in along time.....as it turns out MSG/glutamate also is your bodies own natural heart rate pacemaker and another common side effect of MSG is elevated heart rate...I never noticed it till then...but every time I eat at a fast food restaurant I get the sweats and my heart rate elevates...

this is just a small list of hidden MSG...whats worse is now they have additives(senomyx) to magnify the effects of MSG ...these secretive additives will never be listed on any label...just hidden behind (spices...flavors ...ect...)

Always Contains MSG
  • monosodium glutamate
  • potassium glutamate
  • autolyzed yeast
  • yeast extract
  • yeast food
  • yeast nutrient
  • hydrolyzed vegetable protein
  • hydrolyzed protein
  • hydrolyzed plant protein
  • hydrolyzed oat flour
  • plant protein extract