• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Behavioral Improvement in my son

And, look at that. A ton of your money has gone down the drain!

Your child hasn't been cured of Autism even in the slightest. Any behavior improvements are most likely due to his therapies. The only thing that the gluten-free diet could help with is the constipation issues that're common in Autistic people. However, I suggest just going to the store and getting Miralax or even the Wal-Mart off-brand of Miralax. It's just as effective as a gluten-free diet, but a whole lot cheaper.

Last edited:
I sense that in to day's society, that it is easy for some to get traits of autism through eating things that are bad for the system etc and even to the point of excessive device usage and this, I feel can be turned around, as you are suggesting, but there is another form of autism that is related to even before being born and that is where we stand and especially those of us, who were born in an era where were devices were not even around then.

So, there is a form of autism that is gentic and a form that derives from modern living and probably that is your son.

However, with the right parenting skills, any one of us, could learn to adapt.
However, might I add, I was born in the 21st century. Technology was beginning to boom and develop rapidly. Computers were getting faster, NvIdia released the first dedicated gaming graphics card, Intel's dual-core and quad-core series of processors were right around the corner, and AMD was actually competitive during the years 2000-2010.

However, devices and foods aren't actually anything that can cause autism at all. A child can only develop autism in it's prenatal development phases. There are no possible post-natal factors that can cause Autism Spectrum Disorder. A child is simply just born with it, but the symptoms are shown gradually overtime.

Hmm..
(I post this with the understanding that every case is different and what worked for us may not for others.....etc.....i`m no doctor so please consult one before doing anything)
Actually, sorry, but most (if not all) of us know that our Autism can't be cured, not do we want it to be cured. I believe that, if somebody were to cure my Autism (or, from my perspective, STEEL my Autism), I won't be myself anymore. Just a fragmented shell of who I was before my Autism got stolen.
Glad for you. I would have to see repeated results as documented on a peer reviewed study to accept it as a confirmed treatment.
And, yep. We're still waiting for that article . . .

. . . Still waiting . . .

. . . Anytime now . . .

. . . That's right, the article doesn't exist!

I'm not entirely sure what you're typing, but feel free to direct me to an actual scientific study that managed to prove MSG has any effect at all on anything. The entire population of Asia is doing fairly okay, from what I hear. "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" is a culture-bound myth.

Your "heart attack" by the way sounds like a standard panic attack. It's happened the same to me thanks to good old anxiety. The doctors couldn't release me until my heart rate came down, which was many hours later.

It sounds like maybe you have a sensitivity to MSG and your child inherited it?

MSG (Monosodium Glutamate): Good or Bad?

"THE BOTTOM LINE

Depending on who you ask, MSG is either perfectly safe or a dangerous neurotoxin.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

Evidence indicates that MSG is safe in moderate amounts. However, megadoses may cause harm.

If you react adversely to MSG, you shouldn’t eat it. That said, if you don’t experience side effects, there’s no compelling reason to avoid it.

Keep in mind that MSG is generally found in processed, low-quality foods — which you should avoid or limit anyway.

If you already eat a balanced diet with plenty of whole foods, you shouldn’t have to worry about high MSG intake."

Depending on who you ask, MSG is either perfectly safe or a dangerous neurotoxin.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

Evidence indicates that MSG is safe in moderate amounts. However, megadoses may cause harm.
A sensible way of putting it. @Fino

There are a lot of chemicals in foods, air, and water I wish weren't going into my body.
How they react varies from person to person.

Why do doctors say to watch your salt intake?
Salt is needed for life. Salt doesn't cause high blood pressure, but, fluid retention which is a reaction
that is hard on those with high blood pressure.

Iodine is poison, yet needed for a healthy thyroid, thus iodized salt was created.

My favourite bad ingredient is Aspartame.
Originally created as a medicine that didn't hold up to it's original purpose.
But, found as a sweetener it was fine.
Big pharma was able to make big profits from it for that purpose.
Yet it doesn't help with weight lose just because it is calorie free.
The body doesn't recognise what it is and stuffs it into the fat cells as an unknown substance.
May as well use sugar, unless you're diabetic.
Sucralose aka Splenda causes loose stools in many people. Cramping.
But, there it is.

There are many additives in what we consume today that probably aren't good for our bodies.

The main word in the original post seems to be "cured".
I didn't feel any offense to the OP. Just something someone wanted to share if there
were improvements in developmental areas. No, ASD can't be cured, but can some traits be
aggravated by chemicals? Probably.
Just as anyone can be aggravated or allergic to chemicals and other agents.

How many like how antidepressants make you feel?
Good, better or worse?
I haven't heard many say they feel better taking them. A few do.

I agree that a subject like this should be kept civil.
I've read all the posts. Neutral to elsewise.
If someone feels better without MSG, great.
For what ever reason, even the placebo effect can be helpful in medicine.

Actually, sorry, but most (if not all) of us know that our Autism can't be cured, not do we want it to be cured. I believe that, if somebody were to cure my Autism (or, from my perspective, STEEL my Autism), I won't be myself anymore. Just a fragmented shell of who I was before my Autism got stolen.

I wasn't aware someone had learned how to turn autism into a metal made or iron and carbon.
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Kind of like this thread. A mix or ideas and feelings.
I wish I had not been born with it. Could have done without it myself.
But, everyone is entitled to how they feel about that.
Someone Steal my autism, please. :rolleyes:

When I was a child, my dad was getting sick and they didn't know what was causing it. Turns out it was a reaction to MSG, so we had to cut it out of our diet. As a result, we rarely had takeaways or processed food, but fresh, home cooked food. It didn't cure my then undiagnosed autism - I still had social difficulties, sesnitivities and emotional difficulties, but it did make my dad feel a whole lot better.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT THE WORD CURE HAS BEEN REMOVED AND DROP THE COMMENTS ABOUT IT.

When I was a child, my dad was getting sick and they didn't know what was causing it. Turns out it was a reaction to MSG, so we had to cut it out of our diet. As a result, we rarely had takeaways or processed food, but fresh, home cooked food. It didn't cure my then undiagnosed autism - I still had social difficulties, sesnitivities and emotional difficulties, but it did make my dad feel a whole lot better.

You're totally right that anyone can have a specific intolerance or adverse reaction to MSG. MSG is not a common allergenic agent like peanut or shellfish, but you can be allergic to anything. It's usually best to get your doctor to confirm what is definitely the problem agent.

I'm also not discounting the possibility of binging on MSG leading to a sudden spike in glutamate levels, akin to a sugar rush. I'm not aware of how well the body compensates for a sudden dose of glutamate, so it's an interesting hypothesis.

(To give some examples - the body very efficiently excretes any extra Vitamin C, and an increase in Vit C won't be observable. Vitamin A is the precise opposite. It accumulates in the body rather than being excreted, and will eventually cause Vitamin A poisoning. I haven't the faintest idea about glutamate dosages, however.)

A big leap in glutamate would presumably exacerbate any anxiety problems, make panic attacks more likely, etc. But that's guesswork. MSG isn't dangerous in and of itself.

You're totally right that anyone can have a specific intolerance or adverse reaction to MSG. MSG is not a common allergenic agent like peanut or shellfish, but you can be allergic to anything. It's usually best to get your doctor to confirm what is definitely the problem agent.

My doc said it is not an allergy but a chemical sensitivity. Maybe that was just in my case, but I think he was speaking pretty generally.
It certainly does not make me anxious:) I have a great time until I crash (am suddenly exhausted and fall asleep.)
Lots of good posts, foods affect people in different ways. Everyone has possible nutritional deficits, a person might take vitamin D in the winter and feel a lot better. Does not mean everyone needs D. Does not mean a person should be scared out of taking a reasonable amount of a vitamin by scare-mongering blog-writing "experts".
Very kindly I'd like to say to the OP "Just because you have found a nutritional problem in your family do not assume it is the same with everyone else." Lots of fad diets out right now (in fact they have always been around. The internet just gives everyone a chance to "share the truth the food companies don't want you to know.") and a lot of people using them to make money or be important. So if people look askance at you don't take it personally. We see the ads for the magic cure on every news article we read.
I do a lot of research on food allergies and sensitivities and it is so frustrating to find conflicting information on everything.o_O
OP it is so awesome that you have discovered this about your family. So glad you guys are doing better, I know what it is like to be struggling to discover what is causing a reaction. Hidden ingredients are many times the culprit. Good luck :)

New Threads

Top Bottom