• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Behavioral Improvement in my son

How come when I changed my diet, I got more energy, better sleep, and improved mood, generally, but nothing like Autism or ADHD was affected? What's the deal?? I'm still a weirdo, and I've eaten so much kale! So much!! :mad:

Oh look, another genius trying to make us feel rubbish by treating autism like a disease and offering a cure with as much factual basis as the theory that reptilians secretly run the world. Keep your arrogant and quite frankly insulting rubbish to yourself. I eat healthily and I avoid meat, yet I'm still the same old aspie I always have been and I wouldn't change it. Just because YOU have a problem with autism doesn't mean the rest of us do.

How come when I changed my diet, I got more energy, better sleep, and improved mood, generally, but nothing like Autism or ADHD was affected? What's the deal?? I'm still a weirdo, and I've eaten so much kale! So much!! :mad:
Didn't you know, autism loves kale! All that kale has in fact been feeding your autism, and now it's all strong like Popeye when he eats spinach. Cut down on the kale, and be sure to let your autism out for a walk daily to tire it out, and soon you'll be cured.

On a serious note, I'd like to hear the answers to the various question asked in this thread, especially the ones regards what exactly the OP means by "cured".

Regardless, unless it is replicated and peer reviewed, I'm going to look upon this "cure" with my doubtful face :unamused:

On a serious note, I'd like to hear the answers to the various question asked in this thread, especially the ones regards what exactly the OP means by "cured".

Regardless, unless it is replicated and peer reviewed, I'm going to look upon this "cure" with my doubtful face :unamused:

Autism isn't a disease, hence it can't be cured. There are ways to manage certain aspects of it granted but that's it.

Didn't you know, autism loves kale! All that kale has in fact been feeding your autism, and now it's all strong like Popeye when he eats spinach. Cut down on the kale, and be sure to let your autism out for a walk daily to tire it out, and soon you'll be cured.

IMG_20190328_203805.png

To the OP if you're still around: while I'm glad that your son is showing improvement, bringing up a cure or any unproven medical treatment for autism is frowned upon here. Though not against forum rules, it's been done many times before and the responses have usually been the same.

Also, welcome to the forums! Please feel free to stick around if you wish while keeping the above in mind.

Last edited:
sorry to ruin everybodys day around here ....but all I have to post is more good news......I`m not selling anything...just encouraging people to read food labels....

Do you even know what a neurotransmitter is? Here's a definition for you: "a chemical substance that is released at the end of a nerve fiber by the arrival of a nerve impulse and, by diffusing across the synapse or junction, causes the transfer of the impulse to another nerve fiber, a muscle fiber, or some other structure." They're in the brain, not in food.

I think it's most likely that you've been sold a very expensive bill of goods by someone who's pretending scientific knowledge that they don't have.

Or possibly you're trying to sell us an expensive bill of goods.

Since not many around here know what a neurotransmitter is ill post something and you can debate this with the medical industry and the Glutamate association...I didn't write this they did...

Everyone here seems to be a big fan of MSG....me not so much...(mono sodium GLUTAMATE) thats glutamate with one sodium atom attached...the synthetic version of the most important neurotransmitter in your body....

lifted from WIKIPEDIA...enjoy

In neuroscience, glutamate refers to the anion of glutamic acid in its role as a neurotransmitter: a chemical that nerve cells use to send signals to other cells. It is by a wide margin the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter in the vertebrate nervous system.[1] It is used by every major excitatory function in the vertebrate brain, accounting in total for well over 90% of the synaptic connections in the human brain. It also serves as the primary neurotransmitter for some localized brain regions

Because of its role in synaptic plasticity, glutamate is involved in cognitive functions such as learning and memory in the brain.[2] The form of plasticity known as long-term potentiation takes place at glutamatergic synapses in the hippocampus, neocortex, and other parts of the brain. Glutamate works not only as a point-to-point transmitter, but also through spill-over synaptic crosstalk between synapses in which summation of glutamate released from a neighboring synapse creates extrasynaptic signaling/volume transmission.[3] In addition, glutamate plays important roles in the regulation of growth cones and synaptogenesis during brain development.

To all those that have an open mind....I witnessed great things with my children...

I`m sorry I`m not allowed to communicate on an autism forum about my sons autism....

your forum is broken....this is why we still have juries....and always will...cause sometimes when justice is broken like it is on here.... 12 legal idiots who never went to law school are preferable to corrupt judges...

Last edited:
sorry to ruin everybodys day around here ....but all I have to post is more good news......I`m not selling anything...just encouraging people to read food labels....

Since not many around here knows what a neurotransmitter is ill post something and you can debate this with the medical industry and the Glutamate association...I didn't write this they did...

lifted from WIKIPEDIA...enjoy

In neuroscience, glutamate refers to the anion of glutamic acid in its role as a neurotransmitter: a chemical that nerve cells use to send signals to other cells. It is by a wide margin the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter in the vertebrate nervous system.[1] It is used by every major excitatory function in the vertebrate brain, accounting in total for well over 90% of the synaptic connections in the human brain. It also serves as the primary neurotransmitter for some localized brain regions

Because of its role in synaptic plasticity, glutamate is involved in cognitive functions such as learning and memory in the brain.[2] The form of plasticity known as long-term potentiation takes place at glutamatergic synapses in the hippocampus, neocortex, and other parts of the brain. Glutamate works not only as a point-to-point transmitter, but also through spill-over synaptic crosstalk between synapses in which summation of glutamate released from a neighboring synapse creates extrasynaptic signaling/volume transmission.[3] In addition, glutamate plays important roles in the regulation of growth cones and synaptogenesis during brain development.

To all those that have an open mind....I witnessed great things with my children...

I`m sorry I`m not allowed to communicate on an autism forum about my sons autism....

your forum is broken....this is why we still have juries....and always will...cause sometimes when justice is broken like it is on here.... 12 legal idiots who never went to law school are preferable to corrupt judges...
You have just obtained the "Ken's ignore list award."

OP, you can cut and paste. But what we are looking for are some specific examples of the results you have seen with this diet.
I know, there aren’t any. OK.
“Unwatch Thread” time...

Since not many around here know what a neurotransmitter is

Being condescending and assuming your audience is ignorant is not a good way to make friends. Even this jaded autistic knows that.
If you have a point to make, don't go throwing insults about, state your case in a cogent way, with evidence. If this diet has helped - how? What was the before and after state like? What metric was used to rate the perceived improvement? How does the subject of your experiment with diet feel about the experience?
Most Autistics have no interest in being "cured" but if a diet can help reduce co-occurring conditions that are common amongst us we'd be interested to know.

Last edited:

I do not appreciate this tone and the fact that we're being compared to the Courts of Law which is hilarious.

If it hasn't gotten through that thick skull of yours yet OP, we DO NOT tolerate "Autism Cure" posts here. You're more than welcome to ask one of our esteemed Moderators or Admins about it. Though I can't guarantee they'll agree with this crap you're spewing about this so called diet "curing" your son of his autism

This will be my last and final reply to this as well

REMINDER:

This is a support forum.

Arguing and insulting each other is not productive.

If you come across something you find offensive or believe breaks the rules, report it to a member of staff using the Report button. Do not reply to the thread. If you are having a problem with another member of the forums, you may contact a member of staff via Private Message about it.

OP, what you experianced with your kids, after the change of your diet is either a complete coincidence, or, the lack of MSG happened to change something that is completely unrelated to autism.

Aww, none of the specific questions were answered. :(

Is capitalization of a word indication of its importance? Usually Wikipedia is used as an example of a bad source, not a trusted source.
Not that the quoted material is necessarily inaccurate.

But I don't think that even explains what a neurotransmitter is so if most of us didn't know one was then we still don't! :eek: Perhaps one day I shall be less ignorant, but today is not that day.

I wish someone had the same claims but was also articulate and thorough.
Maybe you could list the foods he eats?
Then anyone who'd like to try can just copy.
That seems like what someone would do if they intended to help.

That's so random that now it's been said you don't like the current legal system. :D

Some of you really need to take a step back and consider what you are posting as well.

We all are entitled to our own opinions, but to rip into another just because you don't agree with them is something I don't feel is appropriate or should even be tolerated on a support forum.

Right or wrong, we are entitled to our personal thoughts on a subject.
Where the line needs to be drawn is where taking the posts to a personal level has gone, and I for one wouldn't feel welcomed if any of you did it to me.

If you don't agree with another member, debating them is fine, but when the name calling begins, that is when I will have to step in to put a halt to it.

Personally, I feel a lot of you were being very unkind to a new member who just might not be as understanding of what it means to be autistic, but they don't deserve a beatdown over it. All they have learned so far is how cruel a few of you can be.

This thread is definitely going to get back on track, or I will see to it that it is closed to further replies.

"Neurotransmitters are often referred to as the body’s chemical messengers. They are the molecules used by the nervous system to transmit messages between neurons, or from neurons to muscles."

"Most neurotransmitters are either small amine molecules, amino acids, or neuropeptides. There are about a dozen known small-molecule neurotransmitters and more than 100 different neuropeptides, and neuroscientists are still discovering more about these chemical messengers. These chemicals and their interactions are involved in countless functions of the nervous system as well as controlling bodily functions."

Key neurotransmitters
The first neurotransmitter to be discovered was a small molecule called acetylcholine. It plays a major role in the peripheral nervous system, where it is released by motor neurons and neurons of the autonomic nervous system. It also plays an important role in the central nervous system in maintaining cognitive function. Damage to the cholinergic neurons of the CNS is associated with Alzheimer disease.

Glutamate is the primary excitatory transmitter in the central nervous system. Conversely, a major inhibitory transmitter is its derivative γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA), while another inhibitory neurotransmitter is the amino acid called glycine, which is mainly found in the spinal cord.

Many neuromodulators, such as dopamine, are monoamines. There are several dopamine pathways in the brain, and this neurotransmitter is involved in many functions, including motor control, reward and reinforcement, and motivation.

Noradrenaline (or norepinephrine) is another monoamine, and is the primary neurotransmitter in the sympathetic nervous system where it works on the activity of various organs in the body to control blood pressure, heart rate, liver function and many other functions.

Neurons that use serotonin (another monoamine) project to various parts of the nervous system. As a result, serotonin is involved in functions such as sleep, memory, appetite, mood and others. It is also produced in the gastrointestinal tract in response to food.

Histamine, the last of the major monoamines, plays a role in metabolism, temperature control, regulating various hormones, and controlling the sleep-wake cycle, amongst other functions.

from a very short article describing neurotransmitters

What are neurotransmitters?

I`m attesting that I employed the Reid diet(unblind my mind) with my son and got spectacular results....today while my son and I were being trashed on here....

I was in a ceremony at his school watching him and his sister....except an a award for best behaved in their respective classrooms...out of 600 students........1 child from each class.....

My ex was beside herself...they've never had siblings awarded...together and for the same thing....randomly......great behavior....judged against all the students...

.....our eyes met today at that ceremony..and we exchanged the glance.....as we were emotional overwhelmed with our good fortune....the diet is not easy....but today is now typical for us......everyones hard work has paid off.....our children are surprising us by the day....my daughter who we thought was normal(hate to use that word)...has surprises of her own...all her grades have jumped since last year same time...and her asthma has vanished...

MSG is not what you think it is....its s powerful neurotransmitter.......MSG is so important you cant live without it..Your body manufactures glutamate in tiny amounts.....some people cant tolerate food doused with it as it overwhelms their own native MSG.....MSG is also the chemical the tongue uses to tell the brain things taste good....you can start to grasp the conflict with the food industry...for those who might not tolerate it.

there is too many miracles to write ....even with all the hate directed at me on here....my son has a wonderful life before him....kids of his own...etc.....

the diet cost nothing...ive done my job as messenger......my conscience is clear...

If anyone has intelligent questions to ask...i`m willing to answer those

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom