• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Myrtonos

Beauty isn't a special interest of the stereotypical Aspie. But there are women on the spectrum who do obsess with things like make-up, perfume and even things like vampires, and cartoons.

I myself have become interested in beauty recently. Mostly I'm interested in eliminating my acne and wearing lip gloss. I've also been buying and reselling beauty products for a profit, mostly eyeshadow. I find eyeshadow to be a bit uncomfortable so I'm not big on wearing it but I enjoy reselling it.

i used to live with a profoundly autistic lady called alex who loved make up and fashion, though for her i think it was because her mum had projected her own love for those things onto her and alex carried it on as one of her rigid routines.

im autie not aspie,and biologically female but ftm trans,but not once in my life had i ever wore makeup,i was a masculine boy since i could fight my mum to take dresses off me,ie young toddler.
to me,makeup is like trying to hide yourself,i dont mean to upset anyone who wears makeup but it feels to me like people are trying to put a physical mask on and disguise themselves,my sister who is aspie does not wear any make up at all but shes quite fashionable and i used to think she was dressing for other peoples sake but she said she likes the stuff she wears.

i obsess over cartoons,thats one thing i can relate to,i also like aftershave but dont obsess over it beyond repetitively mentioning the one i use to everyone, i use carolina hererra's 212 aftershave,its not overpowering and has a great smell,i feel physically sick if i go near perfume and some aftershaves and get major headaches and my visual processing gets to the point of losing sight.

i used to live with a profoundly autistic lady called alex who loved make up and fashion, though for her i think it was because her mum had projected her own love for those things onto her and alex carried it on as one of her rigid routines.

im autie not aspie,and biologically female but ftm trans,but not once in my life had i ever wore makeup,i was a masculine boy since i could fight my mum to take dresses off me,ie young toddler.
to me,makeup is like trying to hide yourself,i dont mean to upset anyone who wears makeup but it feels to me like people are trying to put a physical mask on and disguise themselves,my sister who is aspie does not wear any make up at all but shes quite fashionable and i used to think she was dressing for other peoples sake but she said she likes the stuff she wears.

i obsess over cartoons,thats one thing i can relate to,i also like aftershave but dont obsess over it beyond repetitively mentioning the one i use to everyone, i use carolina hererra's 212 aftershave,its not overpowering and has a great smell,i feel physically sick if i go near perfume and some aftershaves and get major headaches and my visual processing gets to the point of losing sight.

I agree to a degree on the "mask" thing.

I wear heavy eye liner because it makes me appear unapproachable (along with the rest of my attire)... People are less likely to talk to me if I look a bit mean.

But I also wear it because I like how it looks.

I wear foundation to cover my skin because it has lots of holes in from acne.

Otherwise I couldn't care less about make-up... I don't understand the point of twenty million different eyeshadows/lipsticks/nail polishes, how much money people are willing to part with for it nor why women do that stupid contouring thing or like to look like they've slapped it on with a trowel or need massive pointy drawn on eyebrows...

But then again, I've never been one to follow trends regarding makeup and fashion.

I wear make up when I am going out to specific places, but if it is just shopping with my husband and at home, I do not wear makeup. I wear only the very minimum as well. Cannot wear lipstick and do not need blusher.

I guess I do obsess about my looks, but more to the point, hating what I look like and so, fear scrutiny. I am told that I am attractive looking ( a bit more too, but do not wish to come across as arrogant) and I am appreciative of that, but have a hard time believing it.

I have never been into cartoons; in fact, not a tv person at all; have always perferred books.

Perfume has never been an interest; do not find the smells to be particularly nice and get overwhelmed by them.

As for the accult; well I am a christian and so, hate anything like that.

Guess I am not a stereotype female aspie lol

I agree to a degree on the "mask" thing.

I wear heavy eye liner because it makes me appear unapproachable (along with the rest of my attire)... People are less likely to talk to me if I look a bit mean.

But I also wear it because I like how it looks.

I wear foundation to cover my skin because it has lots of holes in from acne.

Otherwise I couldn't care less about make-up... I don't understand the point of twenty million different eyeshadows/lipsticks/nail polishes, how much money people are willing to part with for it nor why women do that stupid contouring thing or like to look like they've slapped it on with a trowel or need massive pointy drawn on eyebrows...

But then again, I've never been one to follow trends regarding makeup and fashion.

The only thing I have a lot of is nail polish and that is probably because I am obsessed with colour and am very particular that my nail polish matches what I wear.

I laughed at your description of the average female today and how accurate is that. I also thought make up was to enhance or make better a female; at least that is why I wear my little bit; but it seems to me, that it is a mask for most girls today, for honestly, they look like clowns!

Me also, ever been one to follow trends; if I just happen to like a fad, then ok I might wear it, but generally, I seem to get into things when they have come out of fads and this is because I hate following the crowd.

It's not an obsession, but I also wear makeup to look unapproachable and mean after being harassed at work repeatedly. I wear thick black eyeliner, do my eyebrows thick and dark, and wear dark red lipstick. Also use some blush on the side. I recently bought mascara and an eyelash curler but haven't gotten into it yet. It's a little unnerving to have a clamp and spiky brush so close to my eyeballs. But I'll practice.

My church is down on make up but I sort of like it...I don't see what the big deal on it is...picky! picky!

There are more important things in the world to worry about in my opinion.

I believe there are also men on the
spectrum who obsess with things like make-up,
perfume and even things like vampires, and cartoons.

Interests vary as do the degree/depth of the interests,
and it's not gender related.

No, it is very gender related. It is well known that make-up is a feminine thing. Similar with vampires and cartoons.

No, it is very gender related. It is well known that make-up is a feminine thing. Similar with vampires and cartoons.

Men have worn makeup all throughout history. dont mistake narrow and fickle societal gender exectations as absolute.

As a young male I was very preoccupied with my appearance.

You ladies out there can wear all the make-up you want. But there is no way you can compete with Photoshop.

I think everyone is different and depends on your natal chart. I am into astrology and it has been proven to be accurate all the time. Just cuz ur an 'aspie' doesn't mean we are all the same. But we all do think a certain way because of how our brain was wired. I see the world through images, so I see every little detail thats possible to the naked eye and this is exhausting on my brain. Because of all the mental processing that is needed to process what we are seeing and why.

You ladies out there can wear all the make-up you want. But there is no way you can compete with Photoshop.

Who wants to compete with photoshop? I certainly wouldn't. There is more character in a person with flaws; than a person who looks perfect ie no blemishes etc.

I know this one guy, who is really a lovely character, but his hair does fascinate me, because it is so slick that it really does look as though it has been painted on; not a hair out of place and really shiny. I admit that sometimes I get an urge to fussy it up a bit lol

I can buy that the first two are slanted feminine, but not so with cartoons. :confused:

Also, I don't have a moral objection to make-up, but I think most women look better without it.

New Threads

Top Bottom