• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone on the spectrum suffer through this too?

When we were kids and teenagers, my brother had a real problem with my eating habits. He would sometimes say "stop smacking!" and smack *me*, and compared me to nearly every farm animal that exists. Of course, he wouldn't do this when our parents were eating with us, it was only when he and I ate alone that he would treat me badly.
I usually eat pretty much like a civilized human being, but I do spill things sometimes. And I can't seem to eat rice without getting it all around my plate, and that's with a fork. How to people with chopsticks manage not to get rice everywhere? Of course, with traditional Asian food it's more acceptable to eat certain things in a way that Westerns find rude, like slurping your noodles. :yum:

Yes! I've always been a very messy/clumsy eater, and have always been notorious for spilling coffee on myself.

A lot of people with autism have problems with coordination. Mine is severe so it includes dropping utensils and knocking things over.

I am like that too, considering doing a video blog about that. I have troubles wearing my white Duke blue devils hoodie since it's my number one favorite hoodie.

I always wear a chef's apron at my dinner table to avoid grott getting onto my favorite hoodies and t-shirts.

When eating a crumbling oat bar during summer I like dropping crumbs around an ant's nest when eating outside.

Greatly improved since my childhood, but I still get frustrated with messy foods like Ice cream, or condiments.

Ketchup bottles are "evil" that way:D

I'd say it boils down to motor functions being different from "normal".

No matter, I have found eating to be awkward and messy on many occasions.

Last edited:
Glad to see so many others have this problem! Our laundry is full of napkins, trousers (pants) and shirts where I regularly do this. Not to mention all the knives and forks dropped on the floor! I call these my silent-movie clown moments. This clumsiness affects so many things I try to say and do.

But underneath all this there is my brain's basic lack of ability to control and co-ordinate my body to say and do things. No matter how much I try, no matter how interested, attentive and careful I try to be it still doesn't work.

I believe this difficulty with co-ordinating what I say and do is fundamental to my being Aspergers. It's at the heart of what I'm struggling with. In struggling with these basic skills I show many of the behaviour neurotypicals call symptoms of being Aspergers, I disagree, many are the signs of how I am trying to overcome this problem not the weakness itself.

I am clumsy, especially when eating so have to choose my food very carefully. My golden rule is to avoid fidgety food such as chicken wings, ribs, etc.

I'm pretty good with table manners, although eating spaghetti with tomato sauce and meatballs is a challenge for me when I'm eating with other people or in public. It's one of my favourite dishes, too!

My white cotton t-shirts usually gets coffee stains on them, but that doesn't matter since they are undershirts.

New Threads

Top Bottom