• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone on the spectrum suffer through this too?

Jena

Hey so serious question but is there any other messy eater aspie/autistic person out there that isn't child age? Cause I am 20 years old with asperger's and still a very messy eater. I ate a ice cream bar and got chocolate all over my shirt, I drip crumbs and every thing on the floor, I have difficulty with twirling pasta on a fork and eating it like that, I tend to use my sleeves alot to wipe food from my mouth. Alot of times i can't even tell food is on my mouth to begin with. My mom often has to tell me I got stuff on my mouth. I also tend to eat with my fingers to sweep up grains of rice or butter and cheese off of the bowl. I also have a extreme difficult with closing my mouth when eating and I can't control my smacking it's hard for me, meanwhile my brother gives me a hard time for this. I want to know if this is commonly seen in people with asperger's/autism? Cause I have seen few posts (not on this site but like on google) about this so was wondering if its common trait in people with autism/aspergers and if so why is it common for people on the spectrum?

I'm more careless than most with regards to dropping food on my top when eating and then having to have it wiped. It became a bit of a joke when I visit my parents and before I left home, also I've sometimes had people moan about how noisy I am when eating, but I'm not that bad if I'm careful and as far as I know I can pass most of the time in society with respect to this alone (most people can tell I'm different in other ways however).

Since a higher percentage of people on the autistic spectrum have poor motor skills / coordination this might have something to do with issues eating and my coordination with sporting activities Etc. was absolutely dreadful when I was forced to do it at school, but the odd thing is I passed my driving test at 17 years old which is the youngest age in the UK to legally drive on the public road and I drove for over 20 years nearly every day without having a single accident while everyone felt very safe with my driving. In fact I've driven all over the country and it became so natural it was like walking, E.g. I'd drive subconsciously and still safely, plus I know that masses of autistic people drive, unfortunately I can't drive any more due to other health reasons.

Last edited:
Not a messy eater at all, but so clumsy at times its embarrassing. I'm usually the one who knocks something over... or drops something.

I cant image being Asian and autistic using chop sticks eating rice... My guess is my meals would be very long messy events, where I might not get to eat much. Mostly left handed, chop sticks, and ASD... wow that would be interesting. I may have to try it just for fun. : )

Not too messy of an eater, but I cannot wear white clothes, I get dirty every time! Food too. Seems I always am leaning or propping on something.

I tend to be clumsy as well when I eat, accidently knocking over a drink with my elbow and spilling food off a spoon or fork when it’s about to enter my mouth. Sometimes when I eat I would think about something else while having a drop or some food or drink on My shirt or pants; I guess my food is not that important lol.

Also I sometimes don’t remember that a soad bottle or can had been shaken up but I open it anyway when I know I’m suppose to wait until it stops creating pressure inside.
For example a few months ago I was at the library and had a dr.pepper to drink. I knew it had been shaken up since it had been in my backpack. I got real thirsty so I thought why not. Five minutes later I opened it up and the liquid exploded and fizzed onto the floor and got my pants and shirt wet. Luckily I had a spare set of clothes in my backpack I don’t know why but at least I had clean clothes that day. At least I wasn’t by any computers cause that would have not been good.

Yes!!! I can't eat without getting some of it on my shirt. I always joke when I'm wearing a character shirt that "Pikachu was hungry," for example XD I get food on the table, need to use a zillion napkins, and am always wiping my mouth. Not too long ago, my friend and I were out to eat, and she pointed out that I was chewing with my mouth open. I hadn't even realized, and felt bad! It helped me to be conscious of it :)

Messy. Maple syrup in hair, onions everywhere, tea on my knee, crouton down my shirt, knock my water glass over. And I am just about to get salad all over everything. Thing is my supposedly "NT" husband is far messier. Once, while making bread, somehow he ended up with a dough ball on his butt.

Messy. Maple syrup in hair, onions everywhere, tea on my knee, crouton down my shirt, knock my water glass over. And I am just about to get salad all over everything. Thing is my supposedly "NT" husband is far messier. Once, while making bread, somehow he ended up with a dough ball on his butt.

Does messy cooking count? I didn't know how to use a pressure cooker. I didn't put enough water in it and well it sort of blew all the food out the little spot where a plug use to be... I had to repaint the ceiling. It was bad. I still fear pressure cookers! They are bombs not cooking vessels... : )

I’m not a messy eater at all. I’m very clean. Also, I’d never use my sleeve to wipe my mouth, I use a napkin for that. I am a messy cook, though.

Since a higher percentage of people on the autistic spectrum have poor motor skills / coordination this might have something to do with issues eating
This seems to be the case with me. Poor coordination with utensils I notice when eating.
I also remember being embarassed as a kid once when someone said I was eating with my mouth open
therefore it was noisy. :confused: Oh, well.
Even to this day, if I go out to eat with someone, they'll tell me I have a piece of food on my mouth or
don't eat with my mouth closed. I notice some people eating with their hands over their mouths.
I think that looks weird. Again, Oh, well. :p

I'd say yes. Every weekday morning I put on a smart dress, board a commuter train and pour coffee all down my front. Every single morning. I know exactly where my mouth is, I have no idea why I keep missing it, but I do.

I'd say yes. Every weekday morning I put on a smart dress, board a commuter train and pour coffee all down my front. Every single morning. I know exactly where my mouth is, I have no idea why I keep missing it, but I do.
I do that a lot, too! I'll go to drink, and then tip the cup too far, or something.

Lots of people on the spectrum have coordination problems and also poor self awareness of how they appear to others that leads to having poor table manners.

Well, my T-shirts usually get something dribbled down them by the end of the day, so I'd say yes, I'm messy. Coffee is my favourite, because I spill it while carrying it, but also anything with sauce. I tend to get food all round my mouth, too, but I use a napkin to wipe, not my sleeve. I did that as a kid, though.

Yes I have similar issues , in general when I am eating in a setting I dont realy feel comfortable in I just eat less and choose things "safer".

The worst for me is at the theater I always end up having many many pop corns on me at the end of the film and I'm realy the only one having THIS MUCH of pop corn on me.

Yeah Im clumsy when it comes to food,I tend to get stuff on my clothes so I avoid wearing white shirts because I know they won’t stay white for long.

nice lmao xD. Why ketchup specifically?

I'm not sure. I'll eat/drink lots of things that have the potential to stain a white shirt, but every single time I eat something with ketchup while wearing a white shirt, I know I'll be Spray n' Washing that thing after my meal.

Oh this is definitely a problem with me!! I had a lot of car accidents too earlier on--I guess when it becomes important enough to focus on something so that you can avoid clumsy accidents, that's when you get better at it. Eating doesn't usually cause flesh wounds and I assume that is why I'm still a messy eater.

New Threads

Top Bottom