• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your relationship status?

What's your relationship status?

• Dating and content with my relationship

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Dating and quite content with my relationship

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • Dating and not very content with my relationship

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Engaged and content with my relationship

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Engaged and quite content with my relationship

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Engaged and not very content with my relationship

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Married and content with my marriage

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Married and quite content with my marriage

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • Married and not very content with my marriage

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Recently divorced and looking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recently divorced and not looking

• Recently separated and looking

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Recently separated and not looking

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Recently widowed and looking

• Recently widowed and not looking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single and looking

Votes: 82 31.5%
  • Single and not looking

Votes: 70 26.9%

• Total voters
Recently separated and looking.

I am not looking for anything serious though the possibility remains. Moving on will help me to heal and learn what dating is about. I married before I was 20 and had children. So much about society and the way people communicate has changed since then. The only way I'll discover what I need and what I'm looking for is to date. I am finding it a little annoying because most men either talk AT me until my eyes glaze over or they don't say anything and seem to be waiting for me to entertain them. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life alone but I feel sometimes that it's impossible to find anyone who really understands me. I think I go through a period of wanting to give up at least once a week.

Single, not looking.

I only ever tried going out with anyone to get my friend off my back, who was convinced that I'd "enjoy" dating and wouldn't stop harassing me about it. I hated the entire experience, which I think he finally understands, and have no interest in repeating it.

Single but not looking. I am still close friends with my ex and right now we only really have each other so if I found someone else I'd feel guilty. Even if he's just a friend.

Single and not looking - but that doesn't mean I don't want a girlfriend, just too shy/nervous to tackle the whole "dating game".

The same with me.

It's like... I don't like whats there... Im more comfortable as is... I have pressure from a few places to start datingh at least (Mother and peers) but im just not concerned...

Last edited:
Single and not looking. I'm still trying to figure out who I am, I don't need to add another person into the mix just yet.

Pssst eh? Is this private? I'm single. Me female friend is me ex-girlfriend. I'm confused by it all but she's a super woman. She's me best Pirate's mate... ;)

Last edited:
I was married for 24 years to a NT, and left as soon as my children flew the nest. It was hell for me because I can't handle being around anyone for any length of time. I am, and will happily remain, single.

:smug:

Divorced but I really did enjoy being married it was mostly good. My ex was abusive in many ways but I forgive her because of how her parents treated her
(ashamed of her disabilities). I don't feel the need to marry again just have a truly committed relationship:)

I'm in a WONDERFUL relationship with a beautiful girl. :) I've liked her since like 7th grade, we are now in 9th. She has liked me since around then as well but we didn't talk to each other due to a friend of her's not liking me at all and never allowing me near her. She is really bashful and shy and never spoke up so we never talked to each other and tried to cover up our feelings for each other when we did talk and basically thought the one hated the other. We started talking and got into a deep friendship back in like July, and its just been going from there. We've been acting like we were dating basically for like 2 months, our official one month anniversary is in a week from today though. :)

Mine has recently changed back to taken, with the same guy I had before. After a year of being best friends, we just couldn't handle that anymore and wanted things back to normal.

I was married for 24 years to a NT, and left as soon as my children flew the nest. It was hell for me because I can't handle being around anyone for any length of time. I am, and will happily remain, single.

:smug:

I can sort of sympathize MoCoffe, sort of..
I was married for about 3 or 4 years, and even though I tried my best to love my kids, they just constantly got on my nerves, I ended up spending ALL my time on my computer in my room, Things got so bad that in the end my ex and I decided it would be best for us to split up.

Still - single and looking, but i'm not in too much of a hurry for a girlfriend

Single and not looking. I don't need another furry control freak high on catnip in me life...well...not yet! ;)

I'm currently in a relationship. We've had some struggles due to personality and perspective differences, but I think we'll grow from it in the long run. He's incredibly tolerant and I'm lucky to have him.

I think it helps that he's also unusual and we can both understand a little bit about why we are the way we are. Neither of us fit in during our schooling years and neither of us really blend into society, though we both enjoy having a small circle of friends. He reads a lot of statistics and politics, supposedly hasn't missed the airing of a new episode of The Simpsons in over 10 years, and knows a ridiculous amount of trivia on that along with other subjects.

Last edited:
Single and never married!!!!! I really don't get it - I'm funny, smart, good job, varied interests. Of course, I've analyzed it several times. Maybe it's because I work nights and I don't want to go out with someone I work with, it could be that I don't want to meet anyone in a bar, and the only other place I go right now is college and the supermarket. Who knows, maybe it's because I'm an aspie. I believe that the perfect marriage would be that we each have our own place and get together say three to four times a week for "dates" and maybe a couple of "all nighters" cause I want to keep my own bed! (Sleep is my #1 hobby)

Who knows, maybe it's because I'm an aspie. I believe that the perfect marriage would be that we each have our own place and get together say three to four times a week for "dates" and maybe a couple of "all nighters" cause I want to keep my own bed!

I'm an Aspie. You're an Aspie. And chances are most folks reading this are all Aspies too. We get you! ;)

But Neurotypicals? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not on this level. You fall in love with them and they expect it to happen full tilt on a 24/7 basis. Anything less and it alienates them to the point of fracturing the relationship. Which pretty much describes all my (failed) relationships. Of course at the time I had no idea I was an Aspie, but then neither did they.

In hindsight I see it as an absolute necessity for two people to honestly come to grips with their different neurological profiles for any relationship to work. Unless you go searching for other Aspies...which has only recently occurred to me after having given up decades ago.

But Neurotypicals? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not on this level. You fall in love with them and they expect it to happen full tilt on a 24/7 basis. Anything less and it alienates them to the point of fracturing the relationship. Which pretty much describes all my (failed) relationships. Of course at the time I had no idea I was an Aspie, but then neither did they.

I've mentioned before how generalizing isn't really my thing, but I don't imagine neurotypicals want more or less sex than anybody else. To even begin to make any real conclusions about that, there'd have to be actual scientific studies done

I've mentioned before how generalizing isn't really my thing, but I don't imagine neurotypicals want more or less sex than anybody else. To even begin to make any real conclusions about that, there'd have to be actual scientific studies done

I'm just relating my own experience. I can't speak for all Neurotypicals. Only the ones I've known intimately who all related to me on certain levels in a very similar manner. But then I'm not simply talking about sex, but complex relationships.

If you didn't have that experience, good for you. If otherwise, you have my understanding.

But I do often wonder what it would be like had we both known about that neurological gap, and been able to negotiate it in a cooperative manner, rather than be confused by something we couldn't really understand. Most of you seem armed with such knowledge. I never had it when I most needed it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom