• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your relationship status?

What's your relationship status?

• Dating and content with my relationship

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Dating and quite content with my relationship

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • Dating and not very content with my relationship

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Engaged and content with my relationship

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Engaged and quite content with my relationship

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Engaged and not very content with my relationship

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Married and content with my marriage

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Married and quite content with my marriage

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • Married and not very content with my marriage

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Recently divorced and looking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recently divorced and not looking

• Recently separated and looking

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Recently separated and not looking

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Recently widowed and looking

• Recently widowed and not looking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single and looking

Votes: 82 31.5%
  • Single and not looking

Votes: 70 26.9%

• Total voters
Aaaand single.

I found out he's been lying to me all these months and harboring a secret fear and resentment of my sexual orientation, which he knew about before we started dating. It's bisexuality itself that upsets him because he admittedly wouldn't feel anxious and jealous if I talked about my romantic and sexual history with men, but he can't stand to even hear the stereotypes I was afraid of in high school when I'm writing a short story about female-female relationships.

I guess my character judgment is worse than I thought. I didn't even try to save the relationship. Was I supposed to magically transform into a heterosexual through ignoring that fact about myself so that he could have a normal, heterosexual girlfriend instead of a filthy bisexual?

Aaaand single.

I found out he's been lying to me all these months and harboring a secret fear and resentment of my sexual orientation, which he knew about before we started dating. It's bisexuality itself that upsets him because he admittedly wouldn't feel anxious and jealous if I talked about my romantic and sexual history with men, but he can't stand to even hear the stereotypes I was afraid of in high school when I'm writing a short story about female-female relationships.

I guess my character judgment is worse than I thought. I didn't even try to save the relationship. Was I supposed to magically transform into a heterosexual through ignoring that fact about myself so that he could have a normal, heterosexual girlfriend instead of a filthy bisexual?

Sorry to hear that Licorice. I can only say that not every guy thinks in such a manner. I had a girlfriend who I knew was bisexual as well. It was never an issue beyond her telling me. It just didn't matter to me.

Aaaand single.

You couldn't have saved that relationship if you tried. As far as I'm concerned, it's his fault for dating you when he knows he's uncomfortable with bisexuality. What, did he automatically think you were carrying on with a woman behind his back? And if he has that much of a problem with jealousy . . . well, I think you probably dodged a bullet. Jealous, controlling partners are never good.

Aaaand single.

Sorry to hear about that. At least you can go knowing that absolutely nothing about this is your fault. It is entirely his bigotry that broke the relationship/

Single and Looking- made worse that I can't a decent girl in my place and I wish to move out of Fairfield and find a good place to find love, like Sacramento or San Francisco (since there two are near Fairfield by an hour).

I'm single and not looking
Being in a relationship don't bother me, last time I was in one I felt more down in the dumps, and when I would hug me I freaked out :/
This normal for people with Aspergers?

I'm single and not looking
Being in a relationship don't bother me, last time I was in one I felt more down in the dumps, and when I would hug me I freaked out :/
This normal for people with Aspergers?

I think for many, it stops being weird or unpleasant the more you're used to the relationship and the other person. I've been okay hugging people I know fairly well, but kissing even on the cheek and even as a greeting freaks me right out if the person isn't my partner.

I'm currently in a relationship and happy, we've been together for a year and several months now. I've never had anyone put up with me and understand me as well as my boyfriend does, and I know I'm very lucky :)

I'm now mid-divorce from someone who pretty much turned out to be a con artist, and am dating someone new. I kinda got my wish that I'd find someone more like me, not an aspie per se but definitely my kind of different. It's been nice being with someone who understands a lot of what makes relationships hard for me, and who I can talk to about my real problems without judgment or needing to fix me.

Single and never been in a relationship longer than one week. I too have no idea why. I am considered good looking, charming, clever and enthusiastic yet i think i may be a bit too full on for most women. I am also very specific and have high standards. People also are scared by my lack of empathy and if they get to know me i tend to get bored- i get my fix and then i am done. It occurred to me a few years back that i can't feel love. I can feel excitement and so on but to be honest i am glad because it seems as though it can rationalise some very irrational ideas and i think due to my interests i get a poor deal from relationships because after a woman stops having sex, happens to nearly all, i would find it frustrating and just get bored. I don't mean to offend women as i can appreciate lots of qualities but intellectually not romantically.

The thing about sex in a relationship is that it should never be used as a bargaining chip----nor should it be expected all the time. Sometimes people just don't feel like having sex. It can be frustrating for the partner that's in the mood, but this is one reason why communication is so vitally important. By talking things out, a couple can determine how to address whatever issues are present.

And honestly, Tridian, if you feel frustrated and bored merely because a woman doesn't want to have sex as often as you'd like, perhaps that's something you should talk to somebody about.

I know that which is why I am avoiding relationships altogether now and i am just as happy, as i was before at least. I am just not wired for a good honest loving relationship and thats something i cant change. I will try to stop myself but i am better off alone.

What i mean is even if i try to change, i will most likely do it subconciously.

Last edited:
I know that romantic relationships aren't for everyone, but don't rule them out entirely. You may yet meet someone who's right for you.

I'm single and I like the idea of having a partner. I'm a total over thinker. People tell me that I'm sweet and pretty etc but deep down I think they say these things because the pitty me. I like me but I cant imagine that anyone else could truly like me.

You know, I once thought the same thing about myself, but then I found somebody who cares about me. So don't worry---you'll find someone who sees how special you are and vice versa. :)

Im still married after 24 yrs, with an NT. It kinda feels like a co dependant relationship, where im weak, she is strong and where she is weak I am strong. If I had my time again, im not sure I'd do it again. Its taken a heavy toll on both of us, and although things are better between us, it still feels like an alien landscape.

Single and looking. But it's very complicated, I either have standards ridiculously high or I'm looking in the wrong places.

I think what the kind of person I'd like to date doesn't look in the places I do, nor would they be interested anyway - I'm gay and dating in the gay world is notoriously superficial so finding anyone which you remotely find attractive and has a personality to mach is pretty hard.

Maybe I'm generalising but that's how I feel.

New Threads

Top Bottom