• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where do I Begin?

Do you think I am on the spectrum and should be tested?

• Total voters
Hi there,
My name is Christopher, I’m happy to be in this forum :) I joined because I am unsure if I am on the spectrum or not. Some reasons that lead me to believe I am include; I have a strong aversion to certain textures as far as foods go as well as touch, I hate the feeling of rubbing paper between my fingers or rubbing my hands on denim.

I have no impulse control organically and have to put mental restraints on myself even though I often feel a strong urge to do or say said thing. I’m also not a touchy person. I’m only physically intimate with my partner. Any other sort of affection is very weird for me and makes me feel awkward. I also find that I have trouble making friends because I can’t seem to make a connection on an emotional level.

I find myself having little rituals for certain things and it has to be that way or I just don’t feel right, almost everything I do or the way I do it is opposite of what I believe to be normal. Like doing math in my head or even the way I clean. It has to be specific and precise. I'm never really comfortable in noisy or fast environments, it raises my anxiety levels really high, and I’m not really one to be at any sort of social gathering.

Another big reason I’m thinking I’m on the spectrum is because I’m really sensitive to stimuli, like if there’s too much going on I start to freak out and my head starts spinning. For instance a loud tv playing and someone is talking and the lights are bright etc.

Working is a whole problem for me. I have never been able to keep a job I always quit because it becomes too much for me. I can’t handle very much stress at all.

I am applying for disability right now and could use all the help I could get. How do I go about getting a diagnosis? Where do I start? Do I need to be diagnosed or am I a normal person with other mental conditions? I don’t feel like my current pcp would be an ally when it comes to this sort of thing. So my question is Does anyone out there think I should be tested? I’ll leave a poll.

Thank you guys so much for reading this and helping me out. You could have been doing so many other things. I hope I have introduced myself well enough I know this probably isn’t the right part of the forum for all this but hey, it’s a good place to start right?

upload_2020-10-19_21-24-4.png

Welcome christopher!!
I’d get tested, if you’d value the affirmation of a diagnosis. It’s what I did. What you describe is familiar to me so it’s worth looking into.

Ah. I see. You want disability assistance. It’s a process, I’ve heard. There are folks here who have gone through it maybe they will chime in. Personally what I did is looked for psychiatrists in my area that specialized in diagnosing adults on the spectrum. Read the reviews always for your doctors. Especially for diagnosis. A bad experience can waste money and cause strife. My diagnosis was affirming and smooth though.

That’s the goal, for everyone to feel safe. I’ve made an investment sticking around for about a year and a half here and it’s more than paid off in terms of friendships and personal growth.

From your clear description, indeed it is worth going forward for a test. It is helping me very much, since I have a formal diagnosis. I am covered for many years, medically; it is on my medical information, so if I have to go to hospital etc, it is there for them to read and work with me.

NT's love a formal diagnosis and since our lives are revolved around NT's, then it is a good step to take and especially if it is interefering in your day to day life.

Anyway, very much welcome here. You will find peace of mind.

Welcome to Autism Forums! :)

Regarding the likelihood of being on the spectrum, in the UK we have the Tests Archive at the Autism Research Centre, so maybe download and give the most appropriate tests for you a go, and they may help clarify things.

Also if you decide to go for an ASD assessment, the tests could save the diagnostician and yourself a bit of effort ~ in terms of streamlining or at very least preparing you for the process, just possibly.

Many people in the UK use the AQ50 Test (otherwise known as the Autistic Spectrum Quotient Test) as a preliminary ~ with a score above 32 indicating a likelihood of meeting the diagnostic criteria for ASD.

The lowest score on the AQ50 Test was for me 41 out of 50, and the highest 44, although the first time I did it ~ I got 32, as some of the statements were a bit tricky to comprehend and needed to be contextually explained.

Another test many people also do in the UK is the EQ60 Test (otherwise known as the Empathy Quotient Test) ~ which I know nothing more about as I did not know about it at the time of my diagnostic journey, and I have never felt inclined to take that test since ~ but none the less it may prove useful for you or otherwise as others have. :)

Hi and welcome, I hope you find it supportive and informative here, good luck with your research.

:sunflower::ant::blossom::bee::hibiscus::beetle::tulip:

New Threads

Top Bottom