• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your religion?

I consider myself an "eclectic" pagan who finds comfort in nature. A lot of my beliefs are very new aged. I believe in God but I also believe in beings like faeries, unicorns, mermaids, etc. but not on a physical level. To me they're transdimensional. :blush:

I was raised and educated as a Roman Catholic, but as I grew and explored other religions and belief systems, I formed the opinion that Religion, like politics, is controlling and somewhat divisive. Otherwise why are there so many schisms and sects scattered throughout history.

I apologize to those who believe, I respect you and I do not mean to imply anything with my words. They are just words, after all and hold no weight unless you invest them with it.

So devout and a believer in my youth (I wanted to be a nun when I was in 7th grade), but in old age I would have to revise that and say that I have become a confirmed skeptic and quite possibly an atheist.

I've faced a lot of disillusionment over the past year or so, and now I'm kind of going through a religious depression. And I don't know what I believe.

I was raised atheist/pagan in family that has some Jewish ancestry. I came to Christ as an adult after a very tumultuous time, and He really helped me through a lot of it.

But I'm tired of religious zealots. They're so fake to me. I just want people to be real and show their sense of humor, their personality, and their flaws.

I blend my Jewish ancestry with my Christian faith, but I find a lot of Messianic Judaism to be very rigid and unpleasant. I find a lot of traditional Christianity to be too ritualistic and judgmental.

And if a church is too new agey it's just people being retarded. I enjoy Rabbinical Judaism very much, and fit well with everything about it, but the fact is, I believe in Jesus Christ. Also I have a very close connection to the earth, and a lot of Christianity tends to separate us and sort of sterilize us away from the natural world.

I guess I'm just being a cranky contrarian.

I just want people to be real. Tired of fake religious folk. Tired of values only worn on the outside for others to see.

Right now, I do believe in Jesus, and I do pray, but I don't know what to cling to or if anyone actually cares. I'm just floating here, trying to figure out where I fit in everything.
Would you consider it cheesy or the like for my to say that I myself am horrible sinner, and wouldn’t be where I am without the Lord’s Grace?

I've faced a lot of disillusionment over the past year or so, and now I'm kind of going through a religious depression. And I don't know what I believe.

I was raised atheist/pagan in family that has some Jewish ancestry. I came to Christ as an adult after a very tumultuous time, and He really helped me through a lot of it.

But I'm tired of religious zealots. They're so fake to me. I just want people to be real and show their sense of humor, their personality, and their flaws.

I blend my Jewish ancestry with my Christian faith, but I find a lot of Messianic Judaism to be very rigid and unpleasant. I find a lot of traditional Christianity to be too ritualistic and judgmental.

And if a church is too new agey it's just people being retarded. I enjoy Rabbinical Judaism very much, and fit well with everything about it, but the fact is, I believe in Jesus Christ. Also I have a very close connection to the earth, and a lot of Christianity tends to separate us and sort of sterilize us away from the natural world.

I guess I'm just being a contrarian.

I just want people to be real. Tired of fake religious folk. Tired of values only worn on the outside for others to see.

Right now, I do believe in Jesus, and I do pray, but I don't know what to cling to or if anyone actually cares. I'm just floating here, trying to figure out where I fit in everything.

'Good doctrine' comes to play in the search for him, what people believe and what they do is going to affect how much closer to God we can get. And people should want to be closer to him, God can interact with us and bless us a lot.

'Things nobody saw, or even thought, are what he prepared for us that believe'.

I am not religious, but I can appreciate them. Anything that encourages people to do good can't be bad. I think that it is pretty random that life, everything just exists. There are so many different religions to choose from, but I haven't found one that I relate to.

A sense of humour is really good - and dont tell me God does not like a good joke. God is a verbal trickster

I find a lot of traditional Christianity to be too ritualistic and judgmental.
if there is no heart in it yes it is empty

I guess I'm just being a cranky contrarian
Hey I resemble that remark

Being real - that is dangerous. Be careful you might meet the real person and that would scare you out of your skin. But perhaps the real you, meeting the real God, would be a wonderful meeting. But I am scared of meeting real people in church - it is so much nicer when I wear my mask and you wear yours. it is so proper that way

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago I would have given an answer towards something like mildly christian because, well was forced by parents and those around me at the time.
Now I go with Science & Mathematics. I have a deep dislike for any form of it. Not in a sense that if someone else is that I would go out of my way to belittle that person or tease.
Just don't try and shove it down my throat. Unfortunately this is something I've experienced quite a lot and this has ony fuelled my dislike of it.
To me it makes no logical sense at all.
In general on forums like these where others are understanding and helpful I'd generally just avoid those full on philosophical debates.
Different story on a nother formI used to frequent where bullying and just general nastiness is the norm.
Enjoy it if you have one, just leave me out of it.

In hindsight typing this I realise that I'm being a bit counter productive considering what I've typed above..

You guys know how it goes, start reading start typing a reply, get to the end, sit and think if what one has typed was actually worth it or really necessary to type..... :nomouth:

Many years ago I would have given an answer towards something like mildly christian because, well was forced by parents and those around me at the time.
Now I go with Science & Mathematics. I have a deep dislike for any form of it. Not in a sense that if someone else is that I would go out of my way to belittle that person or tease.
Just don't try and shove it down my throat. Unfortunately this is something I've experienced quite a lot and this has ony fuelled my dislike of it.
To me it makes no logical sense at all.
In general on forums like these where others are understanding and helpful I'd generally just avoid those full on philosophical debates.
Different story on a nother formI used to frequent where bullying and just general nastiness is the norm.
Enjoy it if you have one, just leave me out of it.

In hindsight typing this I realise that I'm being a bit counter productive considering what I've typed above..

You guys know how it goes, start reading start typing a reply, get to the end, sit and think if what one has typed was actually worth it or really necessary to type..... :nomouth:

I respect everything you said! I don't think I could have summed it up better!

I was raised and educated as a Roman Catholic, but as I grew and explored other religions and belief systems, I formed the opinion that Religion, like politics, is controlling and somewhat divisive. Otherwise why are there so many schisms and sects scattered throughout history.

I apologize to those who believe, I respect you and I do not mean to imply anything with my words. They are just words, after all and hold no weight unless you invest them with it.

So devout and a believer in my youth (I wanted to be a nun when I was in 7th grade), but in old age I would have to revise that and say that I have become a confirmed skeptic and quite possibly an atheist.

I once devoted! Until I lapsed in 06, but every catholic I ran into outside of my family was so. Phony, they would shake your hand and bash your brains out minutes later, and I had some issues with the doctrine and biblical contradictions like I think it's silly to make me a sex addict and say you're going to hell for lust I'm like was, I not made in his image? Genesis 8:13 and Genesis 8:14 contradict one another. There's so much of that in the old testament. There are so many contradictions like this in the old testament. I'm not trying to be rude or disrespect anyone's beliefs, but I'm agnostic. I color myself a recovering catholic if anyone is still catholic more power to you. It is nice to see your experience was better than mine and what a relative of mine went through. Recently broke the camel back he was 6, and some kid lied on him, and the Catholic school was trying to lock him up a 6-year-old, people who would do that? Cops called the house, telling him to turn himself in. I was shocked they didn't kick the door down. We got it tossed out and, I had a sibling who is allergic to bees, and this Sunday school teacher wished a swarm would sting her because she didn't want to get married in the church. I was right there. I was, shocked a grown person would talk like that. My experience has been negative.

I mentioned before on here that I had a really bad experience on Christian Forums. One of the persons whom I had a real bad experience with on there, was a woman in Scotland who started out Eastern Catholic but then left to become an Eastern Orthodox, I have my suspicions for why she left, which has to do with her poor personality but, I won’t state them here; what I will say though is yes, her personality was not good, she was repeatedly assuming negative things about me and saying and doing other things that were unpleasant. She was not a helpful woman, but her treating me badly is not the reason why I reject the Orthodox Churches and remain Catholic; the reason I’m Catholic and not Eastern Orthodox is because I reject the actual teachings of the Orthodox Church, and accept the Catholic Church’s teachings. (Albeit, these teaching of the Orthodox Churches are actually not official, hence why the Orthodox Churches are considered schismatic and not heretical; but that’s obviously a whole other topic for another time.)

Was raised Christian (by more progressive Christian parents) so I consider myself as such... more like Unitarian Universalist, I guess. I believe in God and Jesus but disagree with the more discriminatory stuff. I wear a cross necklace that I never take off.

I am Messianic Jewish. How about you?

iu

can you read Hebrew? Look up illuminated manuscripts on Wikipedia

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm a born-again catholic! It wasn't fear that brought me back. I had some people come in and fix something, and I had left my laptop in another area. So the one off-limits room had a bible. So I said I got to pass the time, somehow I started reading it and felt a sensation in my heart. So I went to church this past Sunday. I had difficulty sleeping for months. Last night I had the best night's sleep in forever! I'm turning my life around!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm a born-again catholic! It wasn't fear that brought me back. I had some people come in and fix something, and I had left my laptop in another area. So the one off-limits room had a bible. So I said I got to pass the time, somehow I started reading it and felt a sensation in my heart. So I went to church this past Sunday. I had difficulty sleeping for months. Last night I had the best night's sleep in forever! I'm turning my life around!

Congratulations on your reversion. That's very cool that you've had such a positive change in your life. I'm no holy man or saint by any means, but be sure to become familiar or re-familiar with the New Testament parable about the wheat and where it falls. One example Christ gave is of what falling on the ground, sprouting/springing forth rapidly and vigorously but then withering and dying because it didn't have the proper roots. From what I recall that was a cautionary tale about what can sometimes happen where religious fervor can be strong, but unless one really focuses and persists through difficult times in their faith, that initial fervor can wane or die. I'm not writing this to discourage you at all; quite the opposite.

The feeling in your heart was the ruach ha kodesh (the holy spirit),next you pray to receive a prayer language, it helps you talk to JHVH (that's the caring side of God) when you don't have words to express yourself.

Congratulations on your reversion. That's very cool that you've had such a positive change in your life. I'm no holy man or saint by any means, but be sure to become familiar or re-familiar with the New Testament parable about the wheat and where it falls. One example Christ gave is of what falling on the ground, sprouting/springing forth rapidly and vigorously but then withering and dying because it didn't have the proper roots. From what I recall that was a cautionary tale about what can sometimes happen where religious fervor can be strong, but unless one really focuses and persists through difficult times in their faith, that initial fervor can wane or die. I'm not writing this to discourage you at all; quite the opposite.

Thank you! I will catch up on the new testament! I appreciate your reply!

The feeling in your heart was the ruach ha kodesh (the holy spirit),next you pray to receive a prayer language, it helps you talk to JHVH (that's the caring side of God) when you don't have words to express yourself.

Oh my gosh, that's cool! I appreciate you explaining that to me!

New Threads

Top Bottom