• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your religion?

@Yeshuasdaughter
Im just wondering about the image. I recognise the tzittzit of the corner tassel. I thought it was the males who were enjoined to wear this. However, I may well be mistaken, please enlighten me
Women can wear talliot as well. It just depends on cultural tradition. It's symbolic of being kept under the shadow of the wings of the Most High God. I am Messianic Jewish, which means I believe that Jesus is the Messiah under the framework of Traditional Judaism.

Last edited:
May I ask did I memorise correctly doesn't orthodox Judaism consider women to be higher than men and don't need the tallit to pray?
I am not Orthodox, so I'm not the best person to ask about their traditions. I was raised pretty much atheist/ hippie pagan, and only came to faith in my late twenties.

Last edited:
I don't consider myself to be religious, which anybody who is under the Christian label is, nearly as much as I am unashamed to proclaim that I am in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It's what gives me peace in this life and hope for the next, which is why I try to share with others through caring words and loving actions that spread this light.

221080056_2724055234384886_7351045036159907807_n.jpg
216488006_369106637937492_4210181635574442521_n.jpg
216402270_10227449859413515_2455522682885127726_n.jpg

I'm christian evangelical, but to say something else about what other people wrote here, there is protection and blessings in congregating with other believers, specially in the right church. This is important i learnt.
Like the bible says: 'Don't stop congregating, like some do'.

I am an active member of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.

I was raised Roman Catholic but joined the synod after my divorce from my first wife. I learned more about the Bible in my first year as a Missouri Synod Lutheran than I did in 41 years as a Catholic.

I tell my parents that LCMS is about as close to Catholicism as you'll get - LCMS and Catholics see eye-to-eye on most social issues, LCMS has the second largest parochial school system in the country after Catholic schools, we don't ordain women pastors, we believe in the Real Presence of Christ in and around the communion bread and wine (not transubstantion as Catholics do, but certainly not tokens as Reformed churches believe). Except for the bit about Luther.

I was kicked out of two churches (presbytarian & methodist) by the first grade and by 2nd-grade my life had been miraculously saved twice. I attended the LSD with a friend for a while in upper grade school but they were surprisingly uninterested in my religious affiliation after she moved away. However, I was called.

At some point, I arrived at the conclusion that all religions are man-made so why not make my own (like so many others responding to this thread :p).

I took a class from the Dalai Lama's brother at university and pursued that for a bit. But the Dalai Lama - when asked how he felt about so many Americans turning to Buddhism - replied that we each will find the knowledge we need in the culture in which we were born. So I took a deep dive into Christ. In my current practice, the Gospels are the Rosetta Stone for the Bible.

This has worked well, but it does not come with a spiritual community. I have found some authors I enjoy, however.

I was kicked out of two churches (presbytarian & methodist) by the first grade and by 2nd-grade my life had been miraculously saved twice. I attended the LSD with a friend for a while in upper grade school but they were surprisingly uninterested in my religious affiliation after she moved away. However, I was called.

At some point, I arrived at the conclusion that all religions are man-made so why not make my own (like so many others responding to this thread :p).

I took a class from the Dalai Lama's brother at university and pursued that for a bit. But the Dalai Lama - when asked how he felt about so many Americans turning to Buddhism - replied that we each will find the knowledge we need in the culture in which we were born. So I took a deep dive into Christ. In my current practice, the Gospels are the Rosetta Stone for the Bible.

This has worked well, but it does not come with a spiritual community. I have found some authors I enjoy, however.
Well then those two churches weren't very Christian were they? I'm sorry that happened.

Well then those two churches weren't very Christian were they? I'm sorry that happened.

I had to giggle at that
I have a strong bias against religion but I have craved Jesus since I was a toddler singing "Jesus Loves Me". I read the Gospels, I read the Bible, I read Christian literature for pleasure.

I then try to emulate Christ, but He asks for the hardest thing of all: Love. Sadly, I often fail at being Christian.

Those churches are forgiven
It was the 50s. Everyone was supposed to be the same and I was autistic. Everyone would have been blaming my mom for not raising me right (obviously a "refrigerator mom"). My poor mom... [BTW she was an amazing person. I am now convinced she was actually a time traveler]

As to what happened with the church incidents:
1. I was about 3, in the nursery, and they served saltines & Koolaid (it was all health food at home). I was a picky eater so it offended me and I deftly pinched opened that accordion gate and went someplace else. It might have been the rail yard.
2. At about 5, the Sunday school teacher asked us to describe Heaven. I waxed on about things like running through fields & down the hills with all of my dogs. She announced that dogs are not allowed in Heaven. I announced that I would have to go to Hell (not yet aware of the infinite paths back to our Source).

Mom switched churches but never took us again.

Last edited:
I don't consider myself to be religious, which anybody who is under the Christian label is, nearly as much as I am unashamed to proclaim that I am in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It's what gives me peace in this life and hope for the next, which is why I try to share with others through caring words and loving actions that spread this light.

I identify as a nonreligious Christian.

I reject the rigid, phallic hierarchies of greedy, power-hungry, oppressive religions.

Abrahamic religions are definitely well known on this list, but as far as I can tell, all are intolerant oppressors with dirty hands.

I opened my home to Buddhist nuns touring the USA in the 90s to raise money for their religious educations. Apparently, the Buddhism powers-that-be* believed nuns to be no more than servants and unworthy of education. Tenzin Gyatso then announced that he would return as a female and then got in trouble by specifying physical beauty. Apparently, the whole spiritual education concern taking a backseat to being attractive to men. I am sure he was trying to lighten things, but women need a break, real change, and less deflection.

(*religeon=remaking source into Man's image)

Religious(dead practices present in buddhism,islam,judaism,Hinduism NOT just christianity)people or is this bash Christianity because it's not threatening like islam

Religious(dead practices present in buddhism,islam,judaism,Hinduism NOT just christianity)people or is this bash Christianity because it's not threatening like islam
Religion is a virtue by which one gives God what He’s owed. Now Christians are called to move beyond that virtue to the virtue of Loving God, charity; but still Christians should try to fulfill the virtue of religion first, before taking a step beyond that to the ideal virtue of charity.

Last edited:
You know what would be really refreshing? If the responses to this thread would actually just stick with the topic: "What's your religion". Not "What are the religious movements you refuse to be a part of, what are your negative opinions of them, and why?". That should be a different thread, possibly named, "What religious traditions do you denigrate?". That is just my lowly opinion, though, as apparently I am a member of a church that is a dirty-handed phallus.o_O That's all from me, I will just unwatch this thread now.

You know what would be really refreshing? If the responses to this thread would actually just stick with the topic: "What's your religion". Not "What are the religious movements you refuse to be a part of, what are your negative opinions of them, and why?". That should be a different thread, possibly named, "What religious traditions do you denigrate?". That is just my lowly opinion, though, as apparently I am a member of a church that is a dirty-handed phallus.o_O That's all from me, I will just unwatch this thread now.

Please accept my apology. I tried to respond to someone telling me what I should believe with why I could not. So few people accept that one can be devoted to Christ without religion. I failed. I am sorry. I deleted my post.

Please accept my apology. I tried to respond to someone telling me what I should believe with why I could not. So few people accept that one can be devoted to Christ without religion. I failed. I am sorry. I deleted my post.

that is okay - I realize you probably didn’t mean for it to be personal to anyone here. I would be interested to hear more about what you do mean by your belief - it seemed you spent more time on what you don’t believe than what you do believe, but didn’t flesh out what you positively believe. :)

You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. Just be who you are.

If it was me that offended you, I'm sorry. I was just saying that those awful people that threw you out of church didn't seem like they were acting in a Christian fashion. They were hypocrites and vipers.

New Threads

Top Bottom