• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What pets live at your house?

Does anyone have a pet or pets?

• Yes, dog(s)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Yes, cat(s)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yes, exotic(s) (I include birds to this too)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Yes, dog(s) and cat(s)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Yes, dog(s) and exotic(s)

• Yes, cat(s) and exotic(s)

• Yes dog(s), cat(s) and exotic(s)

• Total voters
My kids Chloe and Zuri. Both rescues from a shelter I used to volunteer at.
IMG_20170311_113439[1].jpg

Well, currently I live somewhere where there is a strict no pets policy, so I have snuck in my 4 rats (Meadow, Hazel, Cheveyo and Junie) and my grumpy little hamster (Dorian). Usually though, I have 3 cats who I miss so much it hurts, and I'm usually fostering for a local rescue and have a bunny or two around as well. One day I will live in a pet friendly place again and get back to that. Also, I really want to adopt a dog one day when the time is right!

A German Shephard puppy named Rudolph.Had a German Shephard named Diesel before him,had to put him down earlier this year and it was not an easy decision to do

Currently one dog (Merlin, standard poodle, and my service dog) and one cat (Arthur, orange tabby with tuxedo-pattern white areas, obtained from a shelter). I have had but do not currently have a crested gecko and a leopard gecko, and my dad used to be very into keeping freshwater fish, so we’ve had lots of different types of those. I’m probably going to get a bearded dragon once I feel up to the responsibility of having one in addition to the dog (Merlin is mine, so mainly my responsibility, but Arthur is a family pet so we all chip in with his care. Also means Merlin will be coming with me if I reach a point where I can live in my own place (and so will the beardie if I get one before then) but Arthur will not (which is okay because we need to be firmer with him than I typically can manage because sometimes he really likes getting into trouble, and he wouldn’t necessarily realize from my reaction that he is in trouble).

I have three goldfish in one reef, 4 glowfish in another and one red-belly piranha in his own domain.

I used to call the piranha Bam-Bam when he lived in the one rig because he smashed himself off the tank walls trying to flee when I walked past him.
Since I put him in a raised tank where we are both on eye level, he actually approaches me when I walk up to the reef.

There is one more 55 gallon freshwater rig that is cycled and ready to go.

The glowfish are annoying because they stay up all night dancing under the blacklight while holding wild raves :p

Currently, I do not have any pets. BUT, throughout my life I have had four dogs, four cats, a guinea pig, and five goldfish. I love having pets, but I am not in a place in my life at the moment where having a pet is ideal. The cost of potential vet visits as well as the definite cost of food has also deterred me from getting another pet.

Two sister cats. Attached a pic. Neither is a lap cat, but they like being near us. The left one is very laid back. The right, my cat, I swear from her behavior, is ASD. she will come and roll around in front of me, but as soon as I bend down to give her a scritch she takes off like a shot under the bed. One evening when I was up late, she screamed at me until she was satisfied that I was coming to bed.
FB_IMG_1617407106353.jpg

Right now we just have a cranky cat (his name is Sir Sniffles), but up until recently we had a betta and a parakeet. I was too sick to care for the parakeet, and so we rehomed him to a couple that has an aviary. Our betta got old and died.

We've also had guinea pigs, hamsters, a bunny, a couple dogs, more cats than I can count, and other fish.

I would like more pets again though. My daughter is asking for a snake. I love snakes. They are some of my favorite animals. I just don't like the idea of little mousies getting swallowed alive though. I'd want to keep the mice as pets. I think I'd trash talk the snake to his face after he did the deed. lol.

I really want hermit crabs. They seem like they'd be fun. Also I used to love catching tarantulas when I was a little kid in the desert, and I'd like to keep one as a pet.

Last edited:
We lived really remotely on a ranch in the desert. Like so far out that we built the road there. And every now and again, there would be massive tortoises passing through. To protect the tortoise from going out into the road (where cars often drove over 50mph), for a couple days, my dad, uncle, or grandfather would put the tortoise (sometimes over 2 feet long) in a large enclosure, and I could pet it and spoil it, and fatten him up with lettuce. Then it would either escape that night by digging, or in a day or two, they would carry it somewhere safe at the property line, away from the road, where the hills started, and set him free.

Currently I have 4 corn snakes, a leopard gecko, and 2 cats, and often get visited by the families African grey parrot and dog too.

I used to have more snakes (and have raised many hatchlings), more geckos and in the past had three other cats, three rabbits, hamster gerbil, mouse and three budgies.

Currently I have 4 corn snakes, a leopard gecko, and 2 cats, and often get visited by the families African grey parrot and dog too.

I used to have more snakes (and have raised many hatchlings), more geckos and in the past had three other cats, three rabbits, hamster gerbil, mouse and three budgies.
My daughter has been begging for a snake for years. What do you feed your snakes? Do they require live prey? Is there an alternative that is still healthy for them?

My daughter has been begging for a snake for years. What do you feed your snakes? Do they require live prey? Is there an alternative that is still healthy for them?

The staple diet for mine are frozen/thawed mice (one every 10 days or so), but might occasionally add some variety with other feeder animals (such as chicks or other rodents - also frozen/thawed). I'd absolutely recommend against live feeding, it's not necessary. I also occasionally dust their meal with a little bit of Arkvits vitamin powder. Although its not common practice to dust snake food, I still like to give them a little nutritional boost. Sadly there isn't really a viable alternative to whole prey (I have a soft spot for rodents myself), so the next best alternative is to purchase frozen. I drummed up a bit of a care sheet some years ago that might be useful... Corn Snake Care Sheet

We live on a farm so... white great dane, black lab, black pug, black golden doodle, 3 rabbits, horse, three goats, 2 cats, small salt water tank.

New Threads

Top Bottom