• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your job?

Senaluce

I've been through several jobs so far and am now stationary as a singer. Now before I go any further let me explain. I sing, but not like a proper singer say like Adele. I'm not famous. I'm popular in my village which is nice but nowhere near starlight fame...

In my village I get paid to sing. Last year I did a live performance in the park on Christmas Eve and I usually do birthday parties, weddings and retirement parties. I like singing for older people as they tend to prefer music done by people like Elvis Presley, which is great because he's one of my favourite singers and my voice is similar to his - which is hilarious because when I speak my voice is so soft and gentle, most people look so surprised when I start singing :p;)

My work brings in good money, and maybe one day if I can cope with big crowds and the pressure I might look at trying to become a bigger singer in the world. But for now I am happy where I am currently :)

Other jobs I've done.

* Worked for an opticians called A303 Optical Services.
* Mortician's assistant.
* Medical laboratory technician.
* Worked at Morrisons.
* Worked at Argos.

Sorry for the long read; have told this quite a few times in other places already

I no longer work (my income is primarily my Monthly Disability)

My only real job which I left over a year ago (I was there for a month) was a small locally owned Game Store and PC & Mobile Device Repair Store, the latter being the primary function of this store. I had been going there to play Magic the Gathering for over a year and a half or so at that point, along with Dungeons and Dragons. I was also there for work experience and was also paid for it via Wage Subsidy via a contract between the Store and the Local Employment Services who had a small department to help those with Disabilities find work.

Here's why I left:

Shortly before I started working there, a newer game store had opened and the owner of the store I was going to and worked at (an older gentleman, in his mid 50s) didn't like that. Flash Forward to me walking to work one day about 3 weeks or so in and a friend of mine who was walking the opposite direction stops me to talk and said that my boss/the owner was at the new place earlier that morning threatening the Owner of the New Place, in front of customers and the guys family. That really riled me up and so after I got home from work I got in contact with the Job Developer who helped me and told her what had happened. Thankfully she said she'd deal with all that and I no longer had to go back and work.

I only got paid once; wasn't really doing the hours I was supposed to be (was working an hour when it was supposed to be 2), and he apparently didn't like his Employee's using the washroom while working (which was hypocritical as hell since he more or less typically did the exact same thing himself)

He has also been making fake Facebook accounts and leaving false One Star Reviews on the New Store's FB Page and talking trash about him and their store in general ever since as well, even going as far as trying to deny it.

Also, this was mainly all because of the fact that the newer shop was also selling Magic the Gathering product. My analogy was that'd be like having the Managers of Walmart and Home Hardware have a fight in the middle of town all because they happened to sell the same products.

I get that trying to fill a niche role in a small community can be hard, but that doesn't give anyone the right to bash another for doing the same thing.

I also didn't really learn a whole lot like I was hoping, despite cleaning out a couple Desktop PCs, replace a Customers Laptop Hard Drive, replace a iPhone Camera, replace another iPhones Touch Screen and disassemble old Laptops the owner had for their CPU Coolers, Screws and Fans. (I was hoping to learn how to actually take the phone apart when doing those 2 jobs)

He was also saying if he caught anyone who bought MtG product from else where they'd be banned (like, how would you figure that out lol)

---

If you made it this far, kudos to you! Here's your Reward of Cookies and Chocolate: :cookie::cookie::cookie: :candybar::candybar::candybar:

Last edited:
That's really nice you're doing something you enjoy :) I hope it continues to go well for you!

I'm currently working part time in administration. The work is fine, but mostly it gives me the income I need and enough time that I can pursue writing in my spare time. Previously, I've worked in charity and retail - I've since vowed to never return to retail, because it's just not good for me at all.

I'm currently working as a medical doctor in a government job, doing assessments for medical benefits.
I previously worked as a medical doctor in internal medicine, cardiology, gastro-enterology, pulmonology and emergency medicine.
Before that I had a variety of jobs, such as dishwasher, call center agent, IT helpdesk service in a hospital, doctor's assistant, literary translator, literary corrector, bartender, DJ, housekeeper, and more.

I've had a number of jobs. I hate work because I can never figure out the unwritten rules and policies. I just want to go in to work, do my job, and go home but the world needs to make things unnecessarily complicated and contrived. I'm a security guard now and to say that I loathe it would be a vast understatement.

Sorry for the long read; have told this quite a few times in other places already

I no longer work (my income is primarily my Monthly Disability)

My only real job which I left over a year ago (I was there for a month) was a small locally owned Game Store and PC & Mobile Device Repair Store, the latter being the primary function of this store. I had been going there to play Magic the Gathering for over a year and a half or so at that point, along with Dungeons and Dragons. I was also there for work experience and was also paid for it via Wage Subsidy via a contract between the Store and the Local Employment Services who had a small department to help those with Disabilities find work.

Here's why I left:

Shortly before I started working there, a newer game store had opened and the owner of the store I was going to and worked at (an older gentleman, in his mid 50s) didn't like that. Flash Forward to me walking to work one day about 3 weeks or so in and a friend of mine who was walking the opposite direction stops me to talk and said that my boss/the owner was at the new place earlier that morning threatening the Owner of the New Place, in front of customers and the guys family. That really riled me up and so after I got home from work I got in contact with the Job Developer who helped me and told her what had happened. Thankfully she said she'd deal with all that and I no longer had to go back and work.

I only got paid once; wasn't really doing the hours I was supposed to be (was working an hour when it was supposed to be 2), and he apparently didn't like his Employee's using the washroom while working (which was hypocritical as hell since he more or less typically did the exact same thing himself)

He has also been making fake Facebook accounts and leaving false One Star Reviews on the New Store's FB Page and talking trash about him and their store in general ever since as well, even going as far as trying to deny it.

Also, this was mainly all because of the fact that the newer shop was also selling Magic the Gathering product. My analogy was that'd be like having the Managers of Walmart and Home Hardware have a fight in the middle of town all because they happened to sell the same products.

I get that trying to fill a niche role in a small community can be hard, but that doesn't give anyone the right to bash another for doing the same thing.

I also didn't really learn a whole lot like I was hoping, despite cleaning out a couple Desktop PCs, replace a Customers Laptop Hard Drive, replace a iPhone Camera, replace another iPhones Touch Screen and disassemble old Laptops the owner had for their CPU Coolers, Screws and Fans. (I was hoping to learn how to actually take the phone apart when doing those 2 jobs)

He was also saying if he caught anyone who bought MtG product from else where they'd be banned (like, how would you figure that out lol)

---

If you made it this far, kudos to you! Here's your Reward of Cookies and Chocolate: :cookie::cookie::cookie: :candybar::candybar::candybar:
Thanks for the cookies. :) I just can't get past your boss not liking employees using the washroom???? What are you supposed to do?

I'm retired now but when I was employed I always worked for the military/industrial complex here in the US. Specifically, I started out as a Millwright then moved into a second trade - CNC machinist. The place that forced me into early retirement was a defense plant. I made various componants to tank and aircraft munitions. They wanted and tried to get rid of me for years because I didn't "fit in". They finally succeeded by declaring me "subversive" to their policies. During my break times I would do research into corporate and government corruption as well as my hobby (photography) and information on autism. My supervisor knew I was on the spectrum. When they investigated my computer usage, they considered the websites I visited "subversive". Funny how an aspie could be viewed as a potential security risk. All this came out during the arbitration - and I won a settlement but the damage was already done.

I have spent the last 53 years as a field service tech, working on equipment. In that time I have worked for three equipment companies and am currently self employed. Needless to say, I really enjoy how I make a living. That is why I am still doing it at 72.

As of this week, I'm a Charity shop worker, but for personal reasons there's a possibility I might have to resign after Christmas.

Regarding the Charity shop thing though, I know some people think volunteer work doesn't constitute real work experience, but I've been doing it for years and have a 2 page CV/Resume detailing the majority of the stuff I've done over the last 20 odd years.

Thanks for the cookies. :) I just can't get past your boss not liking employees using the washroom???? What are you supposed to do?

I know! I just think he said it because he's a bit lazy and he literally often naps at his desk in his little office as well

I work at a daycare.
I used to work at a library, that was my favorite job ever.

I used to come home from work pretty relaxed. Now when I come home my head is crazycrazy, but I do love the kids (most of the time).

I started my first job in this family restaurant about four years ago. I was the dishwasher while I worked there. Unfortunately the owners of the restaurant fired me after a month and never told me why. It was two years before I could find another job. Now I work in pizza restaurant. I portion wings and wash all the dishes. I have been working this job for the last two years and have enjoyed it for the most part. I had just completed college and had earned a computer technician certificate when I started looking for other local jobs to start out with. I was hired at the pizza restaurant have been trying to earn some job experience to help me get a better job in computers some day. I like the job so much I want to keep working there. Last summer I tried to work in a store as a secondary job but having two jobs were too time consuming so I had to quit the job at the store after a couple of weeks.

'Sing for your village' sounds like you live in the mountains of Romania or something. But I know Morrisons is in England - not sure if it is in other countries. A deep woman's voice is interesting as it's rarer.

I worked odd jobs until settling for the military, which I did for 27 years. I retired early for medical reasons (my head was removed by a cannonball at Gettysburg) and now mostly annoy people on forums as a profession. Also have small online business buying & selling in my oldest hobby/special interest.

Happy to report that for me the answer is None of the Above, because I'm retired. When I was working, there were other people who built the computers and kept them running. I taught them to do tricks. :)

Creating bugs and fixing them.

Also known as programming.

I'd love to get more into Python; I have several eBooks on it, along w/ a thick Magazine about it as well, some of the other eBooks I have also explore some other Languages like Erlang, C#, R, Lisp, Haskell, along with one on Ruby

The one thing you need to be aware of if you want to make a career of programming is that every 10 years or so, most of what you know will become irrelevant, and you'll need to learn the next thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom