• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intense cravings for junk food currently.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I am dreaming of frozen pizza, Doritos, Mountain Dew, Popeye chicken, chips and queso, microwave burritos, spiced curly fries, jo jos, anything tasty that is horrible for my health, I am dreaming about it right now.

It is almost like I instinctually want to reverse the hard work I put into losing the weight I lost recently.

I suppose this is one step above craving beer and whiskey. But not that far of a step above that.

Old habits die hard, as they say.

I occasionally get old cravings, but I have found it easier to resist it in recent times. Though it's more with sweets and specific snacks. The more you distance yourself from it, the easier it'll get.

Though one thing I've found is if you have something that you crave, after not having for sometime. You'll find it's not what your brain works it up to be. Which is more of it, than anything. Our brains play tricks on us alot. But convincing our brains to think otherwise, is hard but worth it.

It's normal. Pretty much every recovering addict goes through a phase where the body tries to replace one addiction with another. When I was first breaking my refined sugar addiction I would go to the gourmet supermarket in Sacramento's Little Italy almost every day and buy stuff like custom made roast beef and gourmet goat cheese. The market was like a 25 mile round trip from my house so it was a fairly long out of the way journey. My mom was mad but she had to admit that authentic goat cheese from Willows, California, was better than Hershey bars. Eventually I got past that phase. I have a distant relative who is trying to get off fentanyl, and he gobbles fast food to the point where much of the garbage can is filled with various wrappers. The first neurologist to figure out why is gonna win a Nobel Prize.

I know something is very wrong when even Hot Pockets start looking good in my eyes. Nothing is more junky than Hot Pockets.

Why can't I be addicted to veggie sticks instead? Plain broccoli, celery, carrots, peppers. Why can't healthy food be so damn addictive instead of junk food?

Why can't plain water give me the same dopamine boost that Mountain Dew does?

Why can't apple slices satisfy me like a slice of Screamin' Sicilian pizza does?

It's hard. We know the food isn't healthy but satisfies some primal need of just that. I kicked sugar. I only allow candy a couple of times a year now. But l want to stay out of hospitals in my old age, so it falls upon me to feed myself and my partner exciting combos to keep us out of restaurants. Yesterday l pulled out my Korean cookbook. Today l bought red curry, Thai basil, Singapore fresh noodles, fresh ginger at my family Asian store. (And mochi). Sadly, the fresh daikon was to old.

What better alternatives do you have on hand?
Fasting.

Or keeping myself around 2200 calories a day instead.

Making my own burritos instead of microwaving the uber processed ones.

There is no proper replacement for Doritos, though.

Now they have Dorito taco shells too. I live off of salsa in the summer. Some avocados, salsa, mashed beans, salad, red onions, Sirracha-mayo in a burrito, and l hit Nirvana. Salsa has zero calories, my partner loves it on top of omelets.

There is no proper replacement for Doritos, though.

Popcorn?

It's not 'the same' but it's what I did when Doritos/corn chips
were out of the question, for more than one reason.

Can make a lot of popcorn for the price of a bag of....whatevers.

Popcorn?

It's not 'the same' but it's what I did when Doritos/corn chips
were out of the question, for more than one reason.

Can make a lot of popcorn for the price of a bag of....whatevers.
I find myself drawn to the Sweet Chili flavor of Doritos.

I suppose making a sweet chili stir fry could satisfy a lot of those same cravings with half the calories and fat.

I find myself drawn to the Sweet Chili flavor of Doritos.

I suppose making a sweet chili stir fry could satisfy a lot of those same cravings with half the calories and fat.

Things I add to popcorn besides salt:
cinnamon, clove powder, garlic powder, onion powder,
nutmeg, carob powder, nutritional yeast, curry powder,
5 spice, oregano...

Not all at once. Various combinations, though.

Cayenne or cumin would be ok on popcorn.
Not for me, because I'm allergic to those things,
but they work for other people.

Things I add to popcorn besides salt:
cinnamon, clove powder, garlic powder, onion powder,
nutmeg, carob powder, nutritional yeast, curry powder,
5 spice, oregano...

Not all at once. Various combinations, though.

Cayenne or cumin would be ok on popcorn.
Not for me, because I'm allergic to those things,
but they work for other people.
I just looked up recipes for sweet chili popcorn. Some of those recipes are healthier than others.

It is due to dopamine making us feel rewarded. Sugar essentially makes you happy, so your body feels like it needs it again and again. But it is apparently more addictive than illegal substances, such as heroin.

New Threads

Top Bottom