• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Clothing Quirks?

I love jackets and hoodies too. I like clothes that are tight-fitting but I'm fairly large so I know people are often thinking negative things about how I look in my clothes :disappointed:
I love jackets and hoodies, too. And as for people having opinions about your choice of attire, they haven't the right to an opinion, unless they are paying for your clothes! ;)

i really hate wearing socks and underwear, i wear a choker 24/7 i even sleep with on, i also always wear a chewy except in the shower because i wash it buy hand after i shower, i love wearing makeup but it’s uncomfortable sensory wise

Shorts and anything sleeveless if I can get away with it. Everything has to be good quality--no holes, stains, or rips in the fabric. Shorts have to hit above the kneecap, and I'll only wear long pants outdoors if it's cold, or to formal/semiformal occasions, and no long sleeves (short-sleeve T's or polos only.) I'll put up with a jacket outdoors, but only if it's cold out. Also, no baggy or loose clothing at all.

I live my life in tracksuits and regular t-shirts.

- Regular t-shirts must have large writing or graphics across the t-shirt, this can't be badged on with a small logo
- No pockets, no buttons, no collar on my regular t-shirt
- I wear designer brand tracksuit pants like Adidas, Nike, Champion
- I love wearing hoodies (Same rules with writing\graphics on my t-shirt) and Adidas Tracksuit jackets
- I even still wear tracksuit pants in the course of Summer, I only wear shorts at work
- I wear thongs or AirMax 90s
- I wear my baseball cap on backwards
- I like NBA clothes, I only wear "Chicago Bulls" and "Boston Celtics" but don't follow much basketball
- I do not wear legit swimwear like boardshorts or speedos
- I swim fully clothed, I go in with my grey tracksuit pants and my white or grey t-shirt on
- A full matching polyester tracksuit (Adidas, Under Armour, Puma) are my number one choice for swimwear

New Project (61).jpg

Here's a picture of me swimming at the pool with my tracksuit on, polyester tracksuits is what I love to do for swimwear instead of the legit stuff, I like to bring a change of clothes instead of getting out of my tracksuit before I swim and swimming with tracksuit on feels relaxing and calms all my sensory challenges I have from my autism.

Here's a video what I like to wear casually from 12 months ago.

This is what I wear to make my YouTube channel identifiable.

Last edited:
Update I now dress in accordance to Jewish modesty guidelines. Elbows covered, knees covered, collarbone covered (most of the time lol), skirts and dresses. Not for religious reasons totally just comfortable.

I'm 55, I am ok going grey, grey hair can be dyed fun colours.
As for clothes, I dress a lot younger than my age, I am very individual, I love colourful clothes.
I probably look like a teenager who has just been to Glastonbury :D
I'll probably end up dressing like this till late old age, as I am comfy with it, even though it is a bit "off the wall"
For example, I had a long hippy skirt and no scarf.
It was too cold to go out without a scarf, so I managed to do something with the skirt so it acts as a scarf. I love the rich purple colour of the skirt, and the fabric, but not so much the shape and length.

I always have everything covered (almost anyway. To my wrists to my ankles and just to my collarbone or over. Even if I wear skirts I will wear leggings under.

I only wear soft things meaning that the only pants I wear are soft leggings.

If I go somewhere with a coat I keep it on. I can go places without a coat but if I do I won't take it off till I get home no matter how hot I end up getting. So I just don't put on a coat most of the time unless it's super cold or if I find it comforting.

I only wear heels. They can be low heels but there needs to be a heel of some sort. I have hypermobile joints in some parts on my body including my ankles and they help stabilize them in a way I also thing it simulates toe walking without absolutely killing my ligaments and tendons.

No rings or necklaces. I am ok with bracelets as long as they are not too loose of made of metal or hard plastic and I don't deal well with the change so if I have bracelets on they stay on for awhile. I like earrings but mostly studs.
I like mini skirts but have to wear leggings.
I cannot wear leggings with out a skirt over.
In summer I like long flowing skirts, no leggings.
In winter I like long flowing skirts with leggings and boots.
Winter stuff is too bulky, but necessary, I carry extra woollens when meeting friends for coffee and find that I do end up putting all the woollens on as the day gets colder.

- I take the tags and labels off all clothes, including underwear as it feels scratchy.
-I don’t like certain material fibers so I will touch clothes in the shop to see if we’re compatible in comfort. I’m sure it looks weird but I’ve learned that it’s better that way.
- I feel like I am being choked when I wear turtlenecks so I avoid them.
- will always go a bigger size because I like the bagginess feel rather than having tight fit clothes.
- I have dresses and skirts but I prefer to not wear them.
- what are heels?

- I take the tags and labels off all clothes, including underwear as it feels scratchy.
-I don’t like certain material fibers so I will touch clothes in the shop to see if we’re compatible in comfort. I’m sure it looks weird but I’ve learned that it’s better that way.
- I feel like I am being choked when I wear turtlenecks so I avoid them.
- will always go a bigger size because I like the bagginess feel rather than having tight fit clothes.
- I have dresses and skirts but I prefer to not wear them.
- what are heels?
I touch things too, before buying. Since I do a lot of my clothes shopping online now, I have learned which fabrics are comfortable; stone washed denim, cotton acrylic blends, and plain cotton.

I don’t like plaid all that much and I really really hate plaid pants, shorts, and jackets. I think flannel is okay and skirts I don’t mind if they’re plaid as long as the colors compliment each other. If you have roots from the U.K. then I give you a bit of a pass but other than that I think a lot of things that are plaid are abominations of fashion.

I hate ankle socks but am forced to wear them because the longer socks are incredibly hard to find now.

I like wearing tee shirts because they are comfortable and I like them to be a bit bigger on me so that I have room to move and not feel so restricted.

I sort of like skirts and wish it was socially acceptable for people of all genders to wear them because of how comfy they can feel. Plus some have really cool design on them.

I sort wish there were as many interesting looking shoes for men that also have heels as there are for women. Women get all the cool looking and visually unique shoes while the closest thing men get are sneakers with a printed design on them.

I relate to so many of these!
-I always put function/comfort first
-I am very picky about textures (nothing scratchy, crisp, or starchy)
-I don't like clothes that exert uneven pressure over my body (jeans, tight waistbands, bras, underwear, etc). I don't like tight clothes at all really.
-No labels or tags
-Hoodies are heaven (and a nice place to hide if necessary)
-Beanies feel nice on my head. I wear them even in Summer months (and I previously lived in the Southeastern US).
-In terms of fashions/colors, I swing between vibrant, clashing colors and extremely muted palettes (gray, black, earthy greens and browns). There really is no in-between for me.

I usually wear t-shirts and shorts (or sweatpants if I have to go outside and it's too cold) that are often a specific texture. I also mainly wear a few colours, like black/grey, blue, and green.

Im 6'5" with a long torso so finding clothes had been the most difficult thing for me since a kid. Also having a size 15 shoe doesnt help.

Growing up poor I had to take what I could get and always felt uncomfortable.

These days I wear the exact same thing every day because its comfortable. I wear an XLT white tshirt. It cant be too heavy of a shirt either or else I feel like im suffocating. My shorts are always the same too. I buy 30 of the white shirts at once and 6 shorts and Im good for a year or so.

I always wear flip flops. Used to be only Reef sandals then I developed a foot issue and wear orth sandals.

If I go out its same white tshirt with some Lucky brand jeans I like and pair of timberlands.

This is my entire wardrobe.

I hate people looking at me so I dont wear anything that could draw attention.

Im 6'5" with a long torso so finding clothes had been the most difficult thing for me since a kid. Also having a size 15 shoe doesnt help.

Growing up poor I had to take what I could get and always felt uncomfortable.

These days I wear the exact same thing every day because its comfortable. I wear an XLT white tshirt. It cant be too heavy of a shirt either or else I feel like im suffocating. My shorts are always the same to. I buy 30 of the white shirts at once and 6 shorts and Im good for a year or so.

I always wear flip flops. Used to be only Reef sandals then I developed a foot issue and wear orth sandals.

If I go out its same white tshirt with some Lucky brand jeans I like and pair of timberlands.

This is my entire wardrobe.

I hate people looking at me so I dont wear anything that could draw attention.
Speaking of big and tall men’s clothing, there’s this store in my area that’s been open for about 18 years that supposedly sells those clothes. But the strange thing is no one really ever goes in or out of that place and it always has sales where everything if between 50-70% off. I’ve only seen maybe six people going in or out of that place since it opened and that’s not counting the woman that seems to work there. Not even delivery trucks stop there. So how is this store still in business? We all think it’s a front for something.

Speaking of big and tall men’s clothing, there’s this store in my area that’s been open for about 18 years that supposedly sells those clothes. But the strange thing is no one really ever goes in or out of that place and it always has sales where everything if between 50-70% off. I’ve only seen maybe six people going in or out of that place since it opened and that’s not counting the woman that seems to work there. Not even delivery trucks stop there. So how is this store still in business? We all think it’s a front for something.

Yeah, we have a Big & Tall store near me too. Those stores tend to have more big (5XL) than tall stuff. Its always been a bust for me when going to those stores.

My wife thinks Im picky but I see it as just the opposite. I know exactly what works and what doesnt. Its like putting diesel in a gas car and then saying the car is picky when it has issues.

Texture can make or break clothing for me.

I cant wear any clothes with print on it either because it draws unwanted attention. I feel if Im wearing a shirt with a statement or advertising it will cause people to look at me, which thing I dont want.

So how is this store still in business? We all think it’s a front for something.
Most of those stores sell things more for heavy people than tall. My husband is 6'2, and has a hard time finding shirts and sweaters that are long enough, even when marketed as "tall." Also, maybe there are not a lot of tall people in the area of that store.

I have 2-3 soft stretchy fabric tee-shirts that feel good which I wear all of the time. It irritates my wife that I wear the same shirts all of the time, when I have a closet full of other shirts.

Most of those stores sell things more for heavy people than tall. My husband is 6'2, and has a hard time finding shirts and sweaters that are long enough, even when marketed as "tall." Also, maybe there are not a lot of tall people in the area of that store.
Actually there ARE a lot of taller men in my area. I had a psychologist that was about 6’5 and I know loads of guys at least 6 feet tall. Another is about 6’6 and definitely needs to buy big and tall clothing and yet he has never shopped at that store and has never seen anyone going in or out of there.

New Threads

Top Bottom