• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Clothing Quirks?

Amy Stone

V.I.P Member
I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's clothing quirks were!

Here are mine:
-I hate socks. I will wear them in winter to keep my feet from freezing but I hate them!
-I hate bulky clothes on my arms and legs.
-I have to have a warm torso and love vests (which keep my arms from being bulky)
-I love cotton and lycra and hate anything silky or slippery
-I always go form and comfort over fashion (5" heels?! who can run in those if you are attacked by a bear?! :D)

I am sure I have more but can't think of them all.

What are yours?

I always have everything covered (almost anyway. To my wrists to my ankles and just to my collarbone or over. Even if I wear skirts I will wear leggings under.

I only wear soft things meaning that the only pants I wear are soft leggings.

If I go somewhere with a coat I keep it on. I can go places without a coat but if I do I won't take it off till I get home no matter how hot I end up getting. So I just don't put on a coat most of the time unless it's super cold or if I find it comforting.

I only wear heels. They can be low heels but there needs to be a heel of some sort. I have hypermobile joints in some parts on my body including my ankles and they help stabilize them in a way I also thing it simulates toe walking without absolutely killing my ligaments and tendons.

No rings or necklaces. I am ok with bracelets as long as they are not too loose of made of metal or hard plastic and I don't deal well with the change so if I have bracelets on they stay on for awhile. I like earrings but mostly studs.

Me too on the rings and necklaces! But For me it is bracelets also. I can only wear tiny earrings. I forgot about that one

- I always need to wear socks for some reason. Even in the summers. I think because I always have cold feet. Plus it saves me a pedicure.
- hate wearing skirts and dresses and shorts and heels and will only wear if necessary.
-not really into jewelry either
-never wear make up, only on special occasions which thankfully haven't been any recently.
-dont like anything satin or silky either.
-im a sucker for sweaters and sweater weather which is ironic because I live in one of the hottest areas in the country.
-sweatpants are life.

pants, a t shirt covered by a mens shirt (have big shoulders/long arms). Not much womens clothing fits me, so I'm pretty limited.

I dress for comfort, too and like practical clothing. I really don't get how people can wear high heels and don't get the purpose of ties. Just because something is traditional, is not a reason why it has to be worn, in my opinion. So I'm so glad I don't work in an office, where there seems to be an expectation to wear this kind of formal clothing. I like baggy clothes and don't like clothes that are really short. I'm female, but tend to go for unisex or male clothing. Women's clothing is: too short, too tight, too uncomfortable, too pretty/flowery/fancy and I always hated the way girls' clothing nearly always has to be pink or flowery - as a child I hated dresses and refused to wear one. Generally speaking, women's clothing is designed for fashion or impact, men's for comfort.

I also don't have accessories - no handbags, only pockets - another thing about women's clothing is that it often doesn't have pockets - or the pockets are really small and more ornamental than anything else - it is assumed that a woman will have a handbag and not need pockets.

Last edited:

Here are mine:
-I hate socks. I will wear them in winter to keep my feet from freezing but I hate them!
-I have to have a warm torso and love vests (which keep my arms from being bulky)
-I always go form and comfort over fashion (5" heels?! who can run in those if you are attacked by a bear?! :D)

What are yours?

i have a few!
- i hate tags // have to cut ALL of them out inc jeans and stuff
- won’t wear any tight constricting clothes like skinny jeans
- won’t wear anything with cuffs on
- i like silky material i guess opposite to you loll
- i don’t like long sleeved pajamas
- i hate wearing any type of top underwear (bras, binders etc)
- i don’t like 3/4 length trousers
- i hate wolly itchy jumpers
that’s about it! i’m very particular about my clothing choices lol

I dress for comfort, too and like practical clothing. I really don't get how people can wear high heels and don't get the purpose of ties. Just because something is traditional, is not a reason why it has to be worn, in my opinion. So I'm so glad I don't work in an office, where there seems to be an expectation to wear this kind of formal clothing. I like baggy clothes and don't like clothes that are really short. I'm female, but tend to go for unisex or male clothing. Women's clothing is: too short, too tight, too uncomfortable, too pretty/flowery/fancy and I always hated the way girls' clothing nearly always has to be pink or flowery - as a child I hated dresses and refused to wear one. Generally speaking, women's clothing is designed for fashion or impact, men's for comfort.

I also don't have accessories - no handbags, only pockets - another thing about women's clothing is that it often doesn't have pockets - or the pockets are really small and more ornamental than anything else - it is assumed that a woman will have a handbag and not need pockets.

I agree with many points here: The fact that women's clothing doesn't seem to be about comfort, but more about attracting a mate or getting other women to envy you, lol. I wear men's T-shirts under a comfy cotton jumper during warm months, and instead of traditional underpants, I have found something made like a divided half slip which doesn't pinch or compress anywhere; one of my pet peeves is tight or constricting garments. I don't wear high heels, have never understood why people wear them when you can really injure your spine over time.I have a couple of men's flannel shirts which I layer over a short sleeved shirt in cooler weather, and which I wear with jeans or cotton pants.

Can't wear silk or satiny textures, mostly can tolerate cotton or other natural fabrics. I like batiste fabric for sleep wear. I go barefoot mostly, when at home. I have one pair of sandals, one pair of walking shoes, a pair of boots for snowy weather, and one pair of sneakers.

Jewelry is for special occasions, but I will wear an ankle chain with sandals sometimes. Only tiny earrings, and make-up is minimal, for special occasions as well. I do love a comfortable hooded sweatshirt, though!

I live in "yoga pants" (but only a certain style -- super picky on this!), and only black or very dark blue/charcoal gray. And, i've settled on either soft green or blue t-shirts (mens), because I hate having to decide on clothing each day -- i find it very stressful, and then there is fabric texture, and if something doesn't fit right or is too tight or binding in the wrong places. so, last year I simplified all of this and chose a "cheap" minimalist wardrobe -- soft fabrics, a couple basic colors, my preferred socks, two pairs of shoes (soft, stretchy fabrics, no leather, no laces), and house slippers. That's it. Family used to buy me clothing, but I think gradually drifted off because I never wear it, something is always wrong with it (doesn't fit, is scratchy, itchy, doesn't "smell" right, etc.). The problem is in the winter when it is very cold and I have to be less choosy, but even then, I have a few hoodies that I am devoted to and I tend to live in .... then I steal my partner's clothing :D My immediate family is mostly tolerant of me (when they're not annoyed with me), but they know how I am about clothing, so either they watch what items of theirs that I swipe (and get a duplicate), or they figure I'll get my own stuff.

I am uncomfortable in anything other than jeans, a T-shirt, undergarments, and sometimes a hoodie. I even sleep in jeans.

I cannot stand the cold, slick lining of many coat sleeves, I must have a hoodie or something covering my arms underneath a coat.

I hate wearing socks without shoes, but I also hate wearing shoes without socks.

I can’t stand walking barefoot anywhere other than in a house.

I believe flip-flops were created as some sort of torture device (okay, not literally, but I even find it obnoxious when someone else is wearing them, because of the noise).

I am far less comfortable without any clothing, both because I’m extremely self-conscious even when it’s guaranteed that no one else is or will be present, and because I much prefer the constant feel of comfortable clothes over feeling the air and different textures of no clothing.

Cotton for everything touching my skin, but not necessarily for outerwear.
Warm weather: shorts & light, button-front, short-sleeve shirts.
Cool weather: jeans & T-shirts.
Boxers have all the support I would expect from a skirt, :mad:
but briefs' elastic leg holes were giving me contact dermatitis. :(

My clothes are alll about fit and texture.

I don't like clothes that bind or twist and bunch weird. No tight clothes!
No "nipped" waists or skin hugging anything! No lycra ever! No silky feeling fabrics, no itchy fabrics, no tags!

Loose and boxy is the best fit.

I like cotton almost exclusively but 100% cotton anything is getting harder to find.

I hate shoes and wear clogs if it is cold so I can remove them easily, flip flops or barefeet if its warm.

No skirts below knee length. I can never walk in longer skirts, they get between my legs or trip up my feet.

@Amy Stone - ditto on everything (especially the vest!) but the socks, I'm with @LadyS on that one! Barefoot only (but then as much as I can) when temps exceed 25deg c.

@Progster - womens clothes and pockets - right? sometimes they will even have a pretend pocket which is no use at all. Very chuffed to have found a really good fit womens outdoor workwear line with plenty of pockets

@Crossbreed - yes on the exclusive cotton skin layer!

Jewellery is very uncomfortable, even my wedding ring I only wear on special occasions. I have tattoos as body decoration.

I'll happily do nude at home or way off the beaten track, esp swimming - not having any clothes on my body is the most comfortable of all! Coming from a germanic culture this is nothing unusual.

• No labels or tags. I've always either cut them out or if they're stitched in, taken a stitch ripper and removed them that way.
  • I wear my underwear inside out. The waistbands are less "diggy" that way.
  • I can not and will not tuck in shirts. I've hated the feeling ever since I was a child. The pressing, clinging feeling around my abdomen and waist.
  • I like the texture of organic hemp T-shirts so I usually wear a black hemp T-shirt but when I go out in public I always wear a button down shirt over it.
  • I can't stand being hot, but I also can't stand being cold so I wear long sleeve wool Pendleton Board Shirts exclusively in the cool/cold months with my black short sleeve T-Shirts underneath. Nothing feels more naturally warm to me than wool. Is the wool scratchy on my arms? I've desensitized to it and don't even think about it so no, it doesn't bother me at all.

Soft, sturdy, no extra material to get in the way or get caught on stuff - is the general rule.

I always remove labels as otherwise they drive me crazy.
Cannot wear loud material (like certain raincoats, erc.)

I Always go commando, & before you gasp, on the rare occurence of me wearing a skirt or dress I’ll wear soft leggings underneath.

Hats are cotton or polypropylene as wool is too scratchy
I can’t wear bracelets but rings are okay, & small earrings only.
Watches go haywire if worn on my person, so they have to be somewhere else. The old watch & clock repair guy said some people are like that.

If I could go barefoot all year I would. I don’t own “high heels” because I am already tall & what exactly is the use of those I’ve no idea except to pander to some stupid stereotype. Anyway I own 5 or 6 pairs of various kinds running shoes & boots.

I love soft scarves but only of cotton or Merino wool.

I always remove labels as otherwise they drive me crazy.
Cannot wear loud material (like certain raincoats, erc.)
Ditto. And I had a windbreaker and a raincoat that I had to get rid of because of the whooshing noises they made when worn. I felt like I had to be alert to my surroundings and they were making too many extra sounds.
Watches go haywire if worn on my person, so they have to be somewhere else. The old watch & clock repair guy said some people are like that.
This happens to me as well! I also drain batteries faster than normal unless I do certain "shielding" precautions. Look up SLders and see what I mean!

Here are mine:

What are yours?
I can't wear Jeans.
I like tops that are long.
I don't like being too hot or too cold, so dress in layers if unsure about weather.

I felt like I had to be alert to my surroundings and they were making too many extra sounds.

Exactly. That is precisely how I’d describe the stress from the noise they make. Same stress as other noisy places but coming from clothing. I donated all of it.

I haven’t heard of SLders but I will look that up.

I only wear clothing in a few colors: black, white, pink, gray, and very occasionally red or dark blue or extremely rarely purple. I don't usually wear shorts either and would rather wear jeans, leggings or sweatpants. But I have an obsession with sneakers and will wear any color sneakers :frowning: I love jackets and hoodies too. I like clothes that are tight-fitting but I'm fairly large so I know people are often thinking negative things about how I look in my clothes :disappointed: I tend to swing between wearing things that are fashionable and things that are just comfortable. I like men's clothes more than women's clothes but I generally wear things that are ambiguous.

New Threads

Top Bottom