• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Clothing Quirks?

Actually there ARE a lot of taller men in my area. I had a psychologist that was about 6’5 and I know loads of guys at least 6 feet tall. Another is about 6’6 and definitely needs to buy big and tall clothing and yet he has never shopped at that store and has never seen anyone going in or out of there.
Maybe their merchandise isn't good? Lots of tall people that I know shop online.

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's clothing quirks were!

Here are mine:
-I hate socks. I will wear them in winter to keep my feet from freezing but I hate them!
-I hate bulky clothes on my arms and legs.
-I have to have a warm torso and love vests (which keep my arms from being bulky)
-I love cotton and lycra and hate anything silky or slippery
-I always go form and comfort over fashion (5" heels?! who can run in those if you are attacked by a bear?! :D)

I am sure I have more but can't think of them all.

What are yours?
No tags.
No woolen anything.
No cheap plastic thongs.
nothing restrictive.
nothing thats to warm or hot for the climate
shoes that fit just right
hat and glasses. helps me "hide"
backpack on when i venture out by myself. helps me feel secure.
NEVER venture out without my cellphone and wallet.
ankle high socks only
and no "crude" t shirts.
dont care for "brand" logos and names. unless its for a specific purpose, like a date (lol) or for my mum.

My clothing quirks are that I constantly must wear a bathrobe and slippers.

When wearing two layers of long sleeves, the over-layer cannot in any way whatsoever be on my skin while the under-layer is pushed up. It drives me insane.

I loathe the winter, when getting bulked up with many layers means immediately overheating when going into the shops or other places. I prefer the fall, where I must only wear one layer of clothing. Also I cannot wear turtle-necks or ties, as I dislike the feeling of my neck being tightened.

I cannot wear polo shirts. I haven't worn one in nearly 10 years but I had to wear them all throughout elementary school and middle school as part of my school's uniform/dress code and they're just so uncomfortable. It was the collar that was the big thing that bothered me about, the collars on polos always feel hella uncomfortable and I get the same feeling like if someone were touching my neck when I wear them.

I don't have this issue with other collared shirts, just polos. Maybe it's the texture/materials or something?

I actually can't really think of any other clothing quirks I have right now because I'm closeted and trans and don't really put any thought into what I wear. Literally 99% of my outfits are just jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers. I have not really ventured outside of that area so I can't say if there's any other quirks I may or may not have when it comes to clothing. (And that also extends to jewelry and makeup too)

Oh wait actually I forgot: I prefer wearing diapers over wearing regular underwear. That definitely counts as a clothing quirk lol. (Of course, my living situation means I'm usually just wearing regular underwear and not diapers but my preference is the latter)

From earliest childhood I have never liked wearing anything unless it's cold. My parents weren't ok raising me as a nudist, so I was frustrated as a child. To make things worse, my parents wanted me wearing a suit for a number of occaisions. As soon as I started living on my own, I have only worn clothing to go out in public. I can only be relaxed and comfortable if I am naked.

I used to wear or try to wear whatever clothes my current "Friends" had, then when I got older I tend to wear colourful clothes, a bit hippyish. I buy second hand mainly, good quality for a fraction of the price.

I wear short sleeves or go sleeveless all the time, even in winter, although I still wear winter coats or jackets with long sleeves over them.

When I was really young I wore my hair long and wore dresses and liked it. But by the time I was in my pre-teens I had my hair cut short (my mom was sick of my hair being a mess whenever we went camping in the summer) and wouldn't wear dresses or skirts if I could help it. I wonder what happened? Did my Asperger's become more "severe" and made me prefer more casual or practical clothing due to sensitivities, or was it because I thought dresses were sexist, or because of hormonal imbalances or what?

Why is an article of clothing such a big deal?

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's clothing quirks were!

Here are mine:
-I hate socks. I will wear them in winter to keep my feet from freezing but I hate them!
-I hate bulky clothes on my arms and legs.
-I have to have a warm torso and love vests (which keep my arms from being bulky)
-I love cotton and lycra and hate anything silky or slippery
-I always go form and comfort over fashion (5" heels?! who can run in those if you are attacked by a bear?! :D)

I am sure I have more but can't think of them all.

What are yours?

I love heels even though I am not I'm sure if I can wear them
I do not have sensory issues to many different types of material and will wear most types
I love socks especially cute socks.
I love hats like beanies, berets, sunhats, quirky hats, pageboy hats.
I also like headbands but after a while my head hurts.
I like jewellery but a few hours often pull necklaces and bracelets and rings off.
I love slippers and robes
I like dressing up in costumes and onesies.
I like casual clothes too in terms of like I like beautiful clothes but am equally comfortable in sweats, long sleeved shirts, sweaters, bed socks, t-shirts and beanies especially in winter.
I love tutus and fairy and angel wings
I love coats and jackets in all materials in winter but have a weakness for a pink coat.
I love spankled boots eg floral boots, I am a boot person.
I love floral dresses

I only wear clothing in a few colors: black, white, pink, gray, and very occasionally red or dark blue or extremely rarely purple. I don't usually wear shorts either and would rather wear jeans, leggings or sweatpants. But I have an obsession with sneakers and will wear any color sneakers :frowning: I love jackets and hoodies too. I like clothes that are tight-fitting but I'm fairly large so I know people are often thinking negative things about how I look in my clothes :disappointed: I tend to swing between wearing things that are fashionable and things that are just comfortable. I like men's clothes more than women's clothes but I generally wear things that are ambiguous.
Me too, I swing between the both

The only pants I like to wear are blue jeans.
I hate boxer shorts; both loose and tight fitting.
At home, I only wear enough clothes necessary to stay warm.
If I have a long sleeve shirt on, I must roll up the sleeves!
I sleep nude, even in the winter.
Cotton is my favorite. I can't stand wool on my skin.
I only wear synthetics when I exercise. They help wick the sweat away.

My favorite thing to wear is Army surplus clothing because it's easy to get a good fit, they're super soft, they incredibly durable, they're amazingly comfortable.

But I'm afraid people will judge me or get the wrong impression of me for wearing a lot of military and camouflage clothing.

I live my life in tracksuits and regular t-shirts.

- Regular t-shirts must have large writing or graphics across the t-shirt, this can't be badged on with a small logo
- No pockets, no buttons, no collar on my regular t-shirt
- I wear designer brand tracksuit pants like Adidas, Nike, Champion
- I love wearing hoodies (Same rules with writing\graphics on my t-shirt) and Adidas Tracksuit jackets
- I even still wear tracksuit pants in the course of Summer, I only wear shorts at work
- I wear thongs or AirMax 90s
- I wear my baseball cap on backwards
- I like NBA clothes, I only wear "Chicago Bulls" and "Boston Celtics" but don't follow much basketball
- I do not wear legit swimwear like boardshorts or speedos
- I swim fully clothed, I go in with my grey tracksuit pants and my white or grey t-shirt on
- A full matching polyester tracksuit (Adidas, Under Armour, Puma) are my number one choice for swimwear

View attachment 71966
Here's a picture of me swimming at the pool with my tracksuit on, polyester tracksuits is what I love to do for swimwear instead of the legit stuff, I like to bring a change of clothes instead of getting out of my tracksuit before I swim and swimming with tracksuit on feels relaxing and calms all my sensory challenges I have from my autism.

Here's a video what I like to wear casually from 12 months ago.

This is what I wear to make my YouTube channel identifiable.
One of my deepest, darkest clothing secrets (no lie): I desperately want to wear hockey jerseys, but I hate watching sports and don't want to be a poseur.

I'm not joking.

I dislike tags in sweaters or t-shirts (in pants I can tolerate them more). I hate clothing companies for putting them in, as I have to take the time to cut them out before wearing, which can make the seam become itchy. I also hate tags sticking out of people's clothes, including mine. It looks ugly, especially when they're huge and glowing white. Luckily my (NT) husband feels the same way about tags.

I think that all clothes should just have text printed on the inside showing the clothing brand logo and washing instructions. Simple. Why do some clothes have lots of large tags with loads of text on?

I can't bear tags! They make me feel sick.

I absolutely hate clothes that are itchy, are thicker than needed,
have tags that are so annoying, I cannot spend any time thinking of styles
and fashion, etc, so I wear whatever makes me feel comfortable nowadays.
Sticking to one color, soft cotton fabrics, thin socks, never nylon.
In case I am unsure, I prefer to get cold rather than hot.

New Threads

Top Bottom