• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Uh Mom? Uh Dad? Did either of these show Asperger-type behavior?

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
My mom was definitely cold, l don't remember a huggy caring mother. l remember that l didn't feel accepted, almost a burden in some respects by the teenage years. What does your childhood bring up in your mind.

My parents paid little attention to me. They've said a few times that they trust me and don't see any need to worry about me. Then they got taken to court for not making us go to school. They had to take parenting classes LOL I don't think it helped.

Don't forget most parents are hugely narcissistic which could be why some are cold/unbearing to their kids

Most? Is that true? :eek:

My parents are great people, strong Christians, and very loving. My mom homeschooled me throughout my childhood, and helped me through a lot of mental-health problems. My dad, although he doesn't really understand mental-health issues, is very supportive and caring.

Childhood memories: Me bugging other kids, being weird, being socially inappropriate. I made mistakes, thinking in my autistic brain that I was doing the right thing, when in reality, I was doing the opposite.

Strong sense of justice/morality led me to take extreme measures when I though two teenage girls were lying to me. They said they were 10 (rough memory here), but they were clearly older than that. So the natural thing to do was to accuse them of lying, and threaten them if they didn't tell the truth. I picked up some slugs and said I'd throw the slugs on them if they didn't tell the truth. I didn't actually do it, but after that incident I heard that they hated me... So... yeah.

My parents are wonderful people and I was very fortunate to have a childhood that was probably as supportive as any child on the spectrum could hope for. I don't make the assumption that a parent on the spectrum would be a cold and unloving parent, after all I too am a parent and I am definitely not cold. I have read about something called Broad Autistic Phenotype which is having quite a lot of autistic traits without being autistic and both my parents could be BAP.

Pretty sure my Dad is on the spectrum. He's a great parent, very supportive and caring, as was my mum, although they'd showed it in different ways. I feel that I'm very fortunate in my parents. I would never assume that an autistic parent would be cold... or that a cold parent must be autistic.

My childhood brings to mind a variety of things, but in reference to my dad it makes me think of walks in the countryside, going climbing, shoulder rides, watching Laurel and Hardy together, crème eggs (which he would give me whenever I was feeling sad), and him helping me find a college course that was in line with my special interests after I dropped out of school because of depression.

Don't forget most parents are hugely narcissistic which could be why some are cold/unbearing to their kids
What? Do you have an evidence to support this statement? Because it sounds like a load of rubbish.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my father is on the spectrum, but with that said he is always very caring and eager to help out in any way he can. That said, he isn't the most affectionate person - rather, not in the sense that you see dads in movies. He LOVES my sister and I, but doesn't quite know how to show it conventionally, so he always made sure we are well provided for and all our needs were met.
I don't know about my mother, she died when I was 4. I was told that she was shy and found opening up to people difficult.

I lived mostly with my grandparents up until I was 10 and that part of my life was great. I loved them, even though life wasn't all that easy. When I moved to the UK with my dad and stepmum, that was so much more difficult. But that's off-topic.

My dad was one of those that when he got home we kind of hid. My mom did the best she knew how. I think she may have been on the spectrum. I know most of my adulthood I thought I must have been a horrible person if my own mom couldn't even touch me or love me - now I realize it was probably autism. She didn't care what kind of grades we got or what we did, as long as we weren't inside messing up the house. If we left wrinkles when making the bed, she pull everything off and make us re-do it. Mine was top bunk and not easy to make because I had to be on it to make it. I was the one who was always protective of her, though.

My dad was one of those that when he got home we kind of hid. My mom did the best she knew how. I think she may have been on the spectrum. I know most of my adulthood I thought I must have been a horrible person if my own mom couldn't even touch me or love me - now I realize it was probably autism. She didn't care what kind of grades we got or what we did, as long as we weren't inside messing up the house. If we left wrinkles when making the bed, she pull everything off and make us re-do it. Mine was top bunk and not easy to make because I had to be on it to make it. I was the one who was always protective of her, though.

l can so relate, l once had to clean the sink 10 times because it didn't meet some type of hotel standards, lol.

My granny; who was a little bit scarey but kind with it, was great. Patient, did interesting things.

My nana was the warm, loving, fuzzy little peach.
She was the best.

Dad liked reading, tropical fish, fixing cars and music, all kinds of music.
Mum kept a clean house and when she wasn’t cleaning or cooking she went to work.

S’about as much as I remember at the moment.

Both of my parents have traits that fit with being on the autism spectrum, although they are both very different from each other. They definitely weren't cold or distant, though. They didn't know what to do with me and made some mistakes, but they did their best and I turned out alright. We get along quite well now.

Truly interested in how many parents presented with this, how many parents even knew they had similar traits.

Wouldn't surprise me if my Dad is on the spectrum ,Mom quite Possibly ( NOT by being cold and all that both have been VERY good parents in their own ways Mommy have been a saint & my dad well he has been helping me in the background apparently when i thought he dident care (they separated when i was born due to that dad couldn't handle me as i was (ie in hospital with Lip palet & cleft, birth complications etc.... ) , Grandpa MOST defenetly + Post traumatic and pretty mush mentally ill while still alive. my aunt MOST probably , my oncel ditto. BUT in my case id say my diagnosis come from my MBD at birth tho (& yes if my parents and so on have this it will defenetly make things even worse fore me i admit that )

Last edited:
Nope. Mother, father and brother all clearly Neurotypical.

Though I have a first and second cousin who I'm certain are both on the spectrum as well.

OH forgot yeah as Autistamatic i agree my childhood NOT good (Problems prior to kindergarten and up and still going :() So best to leave that in the past were it belongs :(

I am quite certain that my mom is definitely not on the spectrum, but I think her dad (AKA my geeky grandpa) can possibly be on the spectrum. My dad has some behaviors that can quite possibly mean he is on the spectrum, although I don't know for certain, since he is one of the most extroverted people in my family.

My cousin, Kyra, could possibly have autism from what I can tell. She is 10. She is my aunt's (Mom's sister, RIP) kid. I have been told that my aunt shared my Geeky Grandpa's, Kyra's, and myself's wide, active imagination, so she could have been on the spectrum. It's hard to tell that she is on the spectrum for certain, though, since she passed away from cancer when I was in the 7th grade. Since I was very close to her, I would rather not talk about that for too much longer.

Both of my parents have been very kind and loving to me. My brother used to pretend that he didn't know any of us at all, but I know he loves and cares about me. Even though my sister has a low amount of patience and has snapped on me pretty easy whenever I've been an annoying brat to her, I know she cares about me a ton, as well. They give me hugs when I am feeling down, which I enjoy a ton, since I am the type of person who needs more affection when sad.

My parents are the ones who let me know that I don't have anything wrong with me, and (I know that not everybody here believes in god) that God made me the way I am for a reason. I still do not know what that reason is for certain or exactly what purpose God has for me in life, since that is still something I am trying to figure out. I took communion for the first time this week (Sunday, February 10, 2019, for those of you who are reading this sometime in the future), and my parents have been very supportive of my decision and are guiding me on what to do next and what I need to know and understand.

I live in one of the nicest neighborhoods you can find in South Carolina, so my childhood has been pretty peaceful. Despite the fact that I have autism, I am pretty much what you'd think of when you hear the phrase, "Middle-class, Home-schooled, Christian, almost-16-year-old boy."

I have great memories of me and my brother playing Mario Kart on our Wii (RIP, Wii, you will be remembered and emulated) and calling each other noobs (or newbs, if you prefer that spelling) in a playful type of way like good brothers always do. I remember me and my sibling trying to get as many studs as we can in LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (also the Wii version of it, I now have the PC edition on my Steam library) so we can unlock all of the characters and cheat options. It was great.

I don't remember that much of my early childhood, since it's a bit fuzzy, but I believe that it's been pretty good. I have a great family, and I feel blessed to be born into it.

New Threads

Top Bottom