• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Uh Mom? Uh Dad? Did either of these show Asperger-type behavior?

My parents are great people, strong Christians, and very loving. My mom homeschooled me throughout my childhood, and helped me through a lot of mental-health problems. My dad, although he doesn't really understand mental-health issues, is very supportive and caring.

Childhood memories: Me bugging other kids, being weird, being socially inappropriate. I made mistakes, thinking in my autistic brain that I was doing the right thing, when in reality, I was doing the opposite.

Strong sense of justice/morality led me to take extreme measures when I though two teenage girls were lying to me. They said they were 10 (rough memory here), but they were clearly older than that. So the natural thing to do was to accuse them of lying, and threaten them if they didn't tell the truth. I picked up some slugs and said I'd throw the slugs on them if they didn't tell the truth. I didn't actually do it, but after that incident I heard that they hated me... So... yeah.

as an aspie,i can’t imagine meeting girls like that,while encountering them,like i would’ve back in high school,or meeting women who i encounter on the train,and who smile at me on one or on my way to one,and now girls who i may encounter on the subway train :tram: :tram: :tram:

Last edited:
Mother is a stereotypical example of a person with cPTSD, anxiety, OCD and major depression with another onset of the latter and the longest one to-date being caused, from what I gathered, by my birth. She's one of the sweetest people I know. She's also one of the most distanced, scatterbrained, emotionally distraught and needy ones at the same time(due to harsh childhood abuse), going from one extreme to the other in seconds. She's definitely grandmother's daughter, with a bit less of I-have-stuff-to-do-so-see-you-next-month-if-I-remember and a bit more of oh-no-I-have-emotions-and-don't-know-what-to-do-with-them with a bit of emotional blackmail added and violent outbursts full of crying sprinkled on top of it all. Mum is just a mess. Still the sweetest.

Father is a cold person. It's difficult to say if he's just highly self-absorbed and focused or simply narcissistic. He has problems with showing emotions, ready to throw around cutting, cruel remarks and violent outbursts, gets obsessed with smallest things, is very narrow-minded, highly immature, needs to do things always in a certain order and in a certain way on certain days and don't you dare disturb him and right now I can't think of even one good thing to say about him. Well, he seems to be obsessed enough about his grandson to be a, hopefully, good grandfather, so there's that at least. Although, to be honest, I fear his reaction if the kid turns out gay or autistic, or even liking a pink colour. Better for him to be 'normal'.

Brother is the most emotionally stable of all of us. He's got a wife, a son and a normal family on his wife's side. He was always very family- and people-oriented and so clearly Neurotypical that even if the house was less toxic, he would still have quite a hard time to fit in. We couldn't stand each other as children. And no, there wasn't even a moment when I hero-worshipped my big brother, not at all.

Childhood memories: It was cold when it was quiet and intimidating when it was loud with a few moments of respite. Let's leave it at that.

My mom is definitely not.

My dad is a maybe but I couldn't say for sure and add to that that he's the type that doesn't believe in mental health really. When I had eating disorders he told my therapist that it was a "load of sh*t" and apparently when I was inpatient he was swearing at the Drs about when I could come out.

I have a sister and brother - I don't think so for either but my sister has PTSD.

My dad was one of those that when he got home we kind of hid. My mom did the best she knew how. I think she may have been on the spectrum. I know most of my adulthood I thought I must have been a horrible person if my own mom couldn't even touch me or love me - now I realize it was probably autism. She didn't care what kind of grades we got or what we did, as long as we weren't inside messing up the house. If we left wrinkles when making the bed, she pull everything off and make us re-do it. Mine was top bunk and not easy to make because I had to be on it to make it. I was the one who was always protective of her, though.
That's how it was in my home, too. The hiding from my Dad part. He usually got frustrated with the housekeeping (or lack of) and would quarrel with my mother, who was narcissistic and totally incompetent as a mother. She had to go to court because we missed so much school after my parents divorced. Sometimes he would physically punish us all, so it was always a good idea to hide when we heard the jingle of his keys in the door. I suspected him of being on the spectrum, because he was brilliant with math (like trigonometry) and taught it as well. He was never very affectionate; I can remember him holding my hand once as we walked along - when I was about nine years old. He got frustrated when we didn't grasp a concept, or when we didn't follow rules.

My mom is definitely not.

My dad is a maybe but I couldn't say for sure and add to that that he's the type that doesn't believe in mental health really. When I had eating disorders he told my therapist that it was a "load of sh*t" and apparently when I was inpatient he was swearing at the Drs about when I could come out.

I have a sister and brother - I don't think so for either but my sister has PTSD.
Wow. Your dad is rude!

No, but everyone that I know of in my immediate family has or had their quirks, some desirable and some not so much. Though I'm not a professional or expert, I'm fairly certain nobody else I know of in said family comes close to meeting any criteria for ASD (and no, simply having traits doesn't count), so I guess it's just me for now.

Luckily enough, with all the ups and downs through the years we all managed to tolerate each other regardless of any differences, and I don't see that changing in the near future.

New Threads

Top Bottom