• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Two weeks of Win 10 problems

Mia

V.I.P Member
Have been working on a problem with win 10 for two weeks now. And today may have finally solved it.

The difficulty was that the internet connection would cut out after about twenty minutes when online.

The error message was that "the DNS server" is not responding. First checked with my ISP, and they maintained that there were no server changes or outages.

Checked all the connections inside. Then downloaded another browser to rule out my usual browser being somehow an issue. It made no difference, still lost the internet connection.
Tried all kinds of things after that, set up new network connections, troubleshot the connection, network diagnostics, all to no avail, I also did all of these:
  1. Correct your DNS server address
  2. Clear your DNS cache and reset your IP
  3. Update your network adapter driver
  4. Restart your modem and router
Then I did this:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

None of these helps changed the internet issues. And I grew increasingly frustrated day by day with my inability to fix this. Considered bringing it in to a tech. Eventually I hit on a solution I think, although it looks as if I've just lost internet again.

Anyone else have this problem and have they been able to repair it finally? There seem to be so many variables here.

Last edited:
Well, you probably have already considered this but I'll mention it anyways.

Given that your connection seems to be cutting out consistently in 20 minute increments, have you checked the power management settings of your network adapter to make sure the computer isn't set to systematically turning off the device after so much time? No telling if the latest update may have automatically and erroneously reset those settings.

You can check this by accessing the device manager, then selecting the network adapter and right-clicking "properties" to go to the power management tab. The first box shown allows the computer to turn off the device. If checked, simply uncheck it and click "ok".

Last edited:
You can check this by accessing the device manager, then selecting the network adapter and right-clicking "properties" to go to the power management tab. The first box shown allows the computer to turn off the device. If checked, simply uncheck it and click "ok".

Did that previously Judge. It was reset during an update, an issue that's reoccurred since win 8. It seemed to have alleviated the issue temporarily. Yet my internet is still cutting out. This is an ongoing issue that I've attempted to repair over and over. I'll keep looking. It may possibly be an issue with the modem, something I'm now considering. Thanks for your input.

This is an ongoing issue that I've attempted to repair over and over. I'll keep looking. It may possibly be an issue with the modem, something I'm now considering. Thanks for your input.

Perhaps. Failures that are chronologically consistent may also reflect component failure. Especially if the problem transcends two different operating systems. Like a capacitor inside your modem. Though with such issues replacing the modem is about all you can do. And hopefully it isn't a faulty component on your motherboard.

Going to check all the hardware. Yet somehow this seems a software problem.

Going to check all the hardware. Yet somehow this seems a software problem.

Frankly I would have done most if not all the things you already did. :oops:

Have you monitored the task manager to observe system resource usage as your Internet connection crashes?

Do you broadcast your SSID?

Last edited:
Biggest problem is that I've done so many things at this point, that I can't know if along the way I've made some sort of error. Should have kept some sort of journal of what I have done, so I could go back and recheck it.

You might also reconnect an Ethernet Cable just to see if you can narrow it down to WiFi. See if that keeps you connected indefinitely.

Judge, wifi is working perfectly never cuts out. Clue perhaps?

Windows Defender may also be an issue, there's literally no way to know what's it's doing. Or to actually get into the software, short of going into the core files.

Judge, wifi is working perfectly never cuts out. Clue perhaps?

Windows Defender may also be an issue, there's literally no way to know what's it's doing. Or to actually get into the software, short of going into the core files.

I keep Windows Defender shut off. Only run it manually after turning off my primary anti-virus program so I absolutely avoid false-positives.

Have you monitored the task manager to observe system resource usage as your Internet connection crashes?

Do you broadcast your SSID?

Not during a crash, but I will now:)

SSID - disabled, not at default.

Last edited:
Yes I'm replying to myself:) Checked all the hardware, no issues. Think I'll write this as kind of a running record.

Hmmm. Your method of troubleshooting to the software concerns seemed in "textbook" fashion. I wouldn't have done any differently. Yet it turned up nothing. Ouch.

Right now I can only think of a few more things to try, though as obscure as they might be:

1) In WiFi "properties", uncheck the box "Internet Protocol Ver. 6 TCP/IPV6

2) Turn off BlueTooth Discovery Mode by unchecking the box marked "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC".

Are you running your router using the 2.4 ghz band? Just wondering. That band can be potentially prone to interference from other devices. Though I can't say I've heard such interference could break an Internet connection either.

You might also consider temporarily assigning an SSID just to see if it maintains a connection with the appropriate security protocols. And try changing to other channels on your router. Are there any other wireless connections in proximity with your own?

I see Microsoft offers a barrage of possible things to consider. Not all that helpful under the circumstances. But at least it lists quite a few other things to consider:

"The DNS server isn't responding" error. I can not resolve the error using internet instructions this far.

Last edited:
If you think that it is a software problem, have you considered a systems recovery? You would have to back up a information that you want to keep because a recovery takes it back to how it left the factory and anything you put on it will be gone.

arrg

Settings that might be blocking the connection:
Provider name: Microsoft Corporation Provider description: Microsoft Windows Defender Firewall Provider Filter name: WSH Default Outbound Block
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)
Detected 157CD089-8664-4888-A5B2-6BF6FBADCF3C.Diagnose.0.etl

Default outbound block corrected.

Is it fixed or isn't it fixed?

You claim Wifi is working perfectly. Why not just use Wifi?
Does Wifi have the same ISP? If it doesn't then it's probably the ISP you use for internet but not Wifi.
Wifi is a different device from your normal internet. If the ISP is the same then I would say the problem is with your device. It could be settings or component failure, but if you've already tried everything regarding the card then either just give up and use Wifi from now on or if you really need to know and need your normal internet then try replacing whatever network card you use. A very simple and easy troubleshoot is hooking up an external USB ethernet adapter, if internet through this works perfectly then you've just isolated the issue down to network card/drivers/settings.

1) In WiFi "properties", uncheck the box "Internet Protocol Ver. 6 TCP/IPV6

2) Turn off BlueTooth Discovery Mode by unchecking the box marked "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC".

Are you running your router using the 2.4 ghz band?

The first two were done Judge. Don't know what band my router is using, but I'll look into it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom