• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Two weeks of Win 10 problems

Although the wan link was flashing the entire evening as well as the wireless link on the modem, there were no drop off's for the last two days, since I connected to lan 2.

Fingers crossed that this was the actual issue. Some sort of break in a cable connection which even when tested (the lights showed on both connections as working) appeared as intact. So now it's a wait and see. And perhaps a modem replacement if this reoccurs.

Would be ironic if it were something like a slightly cracked Ethernet connector. The plastic part that you press down to lock it into place. Where if it gets damaged or simply breaks through gravity over time and loosens the connection just enough to periodically impair the connection. Aggravated perhaps by thermodynamics-lower indoor temperatures in winter where the whole connector might slightly contract just enough to interrupt connection to the Internet while still appearing as a solid connection.

Though as you are investigating, the lan 1 internal connection could also be compromised. In any case let's hope you are much closer to solving the problem!

It's just occurred to me that although I live relatively close to a relay station for dsl, and wireless, which was a plus when I moved here. People have in the past few years in this area become more and more connected. It seems that everyone now has a laptop and phone, whereas it was not that way a few years back. I'm wondering if that is somehow one of the reasons there are more drop off's? I may have to go to cable.

It's just occurred to me that although I live relatively close to a relay station for dsl, and wireless, which was a plus when I moved here. People have in the past few years in this area become more and more connected. It seems that everyone now has a laptop and phone, whereas it was not that way a few years back. I'm wondering if that is somehow one of the reasons there are more drop off's? I may have to go to cable.

I thought of that, even contemplated telling you to reassign the channel you use with your router. Something that helped me living in such close proximity to other users in an apt. complex.

But I'd think the drop offs in your signal would then be more consistent in terms of peak usage hours. Though you can always consider both.

Change the channel to one less users nearby might use through trial and error, and then take the time to monitor connectivity as long as possible, to narrow down not only how often the drop-off occurs, but what time of day it happens, and whether it's consistent from one day to the next.

Where if it gets damaged or simply breaks through gravity over time and loosens the connection just enough to periodically impair the connection. Aggravated perhaps by thermodynamics-lower indoor temperatures in winter where the whole connector might slightly contract just enough to interrupt connection to the Internet while still appearing as a solid connection.

You are truly incredible Judge. Quite brilliant, wish I'd payed more attention to physics at university.

You are truly incredible Judge. Quite brilliant, wish I'd payed more attention to physics at university.

LOL. No, not incredible. I just make lots of mistakes, but try in earnest to learn from them all. ;)

And not to overlook "Occam's Razor". Where the simplest explanation more often than not is the most plausible one. That a "Zoomie" once emphasized to me how a ten-cent part can bring down a ten-million dollar aircraft.

I just hope whatever it is you find it. :cool:

Wish that I'd never changed to win 10. So many difficulties, even the crawling cursor problem had driven me mad. Every day was something new, constant updates, that would set everything back to default. It takes hours to remove xbox connections, cortana, microphones, app store, the list goes on, I've removed them six times. Win ten can be an abomination.

Wish that I'd never changed to win 10. So many difficulties, even the crawling cursor problem had driven me mad. Every day was something new, constant updates, that would set everything back to default. It takes hours to remove xbox connections, cortana, microphones, app store, the list goes on, I've removed them six times. Win ten can be an abomination.

I can't even recall the last time I upgraded to a new operating system where my old one wasn't soon to be no longer supported. But in the case of Windows 10 being out for some three and a half years, you'd think they would have ironed out such problems by now. Not looking good. I may put off upgrading even longer.

Have moved on to a cable connection, which will be set up this week. The ISP could not even give me information about what the problem actually was, they could only say that there were upwards of twenty disconnections per day. At some point when speaking with a tech on speakerphone my husband and I both looked at one another and said "this guy has no idea how to fix this, he's way out of his league here".

We went with this ISP as they had local techs who seemed to know some things and they are available until midnight every day of the week. They are not as versed as we are, but they knew the basics. Used to be in the early years with Win N/T and such that the techs really knew the software and the hardware, they don't seem to anymore unfortunately.

Will be setting up and configuring a broadband connection today. The cable is installed and the router and the motorola cable modem I'll connect today. The physical connections are simple, it's Win 10 that I'm wary of, seems as if ahead of time there will be issues. Hopefully if will go well.

Interestingly enough, the DSL began to work perfectly after I spoke with the ISP again. There were no disconnections, although the wifi has gone in the other direction with drop-off's that never occurred before. Peculiar.

This time around set your router up to broadcast your SSID. And float through various channels...see if that makes any difference.

If your router is set for 2.4 ghz, I hope you aren't using any USB 3.0 devices that might be interfering with your router's signal.

Last edited:
Up and running, I love broadband. It's faster, solid. First time I've ever used cable, it's been DSL for as long as I've owned a computer. The tech told me it would take three hours to configure my system. Thirty minutes tops:)

Ode to a cable

I love it, I love it, and where it goes I'll follow. Peggy March, change 'him' to cable.
Peggy March - I Will follow

Glad to see using a new provider and alternative technology is working for you.

Also thrilled to be able to deduce that it wasn't about your OS. I mean, it seemed that you followed every avenue of approach had the problem been exclusively with Windows 10. Frustrated me as well! ;)

I haven't even thought much about all the potential issues of a DSL line in years. Never would have bothered to ask. :oops:

Last edited:
Glad to see using a new provider and alternative technology is working for you

Same ISP, it was their idea to move from DSL to cable;) Given that the issues proved to be the router/modem combo that was ten years old or a combination of the modem and software. They would have replaced the old modem, if I had requested it and stayed with DSL. Turns out, it's cheaper and that was the impetus. If it had been more expensive I may have remained with DSL. As I'm careful when it comes to these things.

Benefited from the idea that many people are moving away from cable here. So, it's become far cheaper than it used to be. The cable people, don't want to lose their base.

Same ISP, it was their idea to move from DSL to cable;) Given that the issues proved to be the router/modem combo that was ten years old or a combination of the modem and software. They would have replaced the old modem, if I had requested it and stayed with DSL. Turns out, it's cheaper and that was the impetus. If it had been more expensive I may have remained with DSL. As I'm careful when it comes to these things.

Benefited from the idea that many people are moving away from cable here. So, it's become far cheaper than it used to be. The cable people, don't want to lose their base.

Odd that they would continue to offer both services. :confused: I would never opt for DSL if I knew I had the option for cable with the same provider.

I know with my provider, I can request a new modem whether there's really anything wrong with it or not. Though I suppose you would have gotten around to considering that anyways. My provider replaced my original modem some eight years ago, cited the one I originally bought was simply not up to the task.

Odd that they would continue to offer both services. :confused: I would never opt for DSL if I knew I had the option for cable with the same provider.

The ISP until recently offered cable to business only, dsl to home customers. We have rarely had problems with dsl, and what happened was unusual, it was quite reminiscent of the dial -up days. Have replaced the modem a few times, but not for eight years.

The ISP until recently offered cable to business only, dsl to home customers. We have rarely had problems with dsl, and what happened was unusual, it was quite reminiscent of the dial -up days. Have replaced the modem a few times, but not for eight years.

IMO eight years is just too long for a modem in this technologically advancing environment. On occasion it may be worth one's time asking customer service if and when such a hardware device may have been superseded with a newer model.

Though every provider can be different in terms of how proactive they are relative to technological advancement in serving their customers, and particularly whether or not they are budgeted for it. :eek:

In any event, I'm glad it wasn't your OS at fault.

Last edited:

Oh my. Those sounds don't exactly pose as a form of nostalgia to me. But then perhaps you too can recall using even a 14.4 kbps modem on a dialup connection. Where it could take 40 or more times to get a connection to the Internet through the phone lines.

Kind of like trying to start a fire with two sticks and no flints. :rolleyes:

And then when you did get a solid connection, you would come across websites taking 20 seconds or more to download. Ah those good old days... o_O

February 11, 2019 12:45 PM PST

Windows Update customers were recently affected by a network infrastructure event caused by an external DNS service provider’s global outage. A software update to the external provider’s DNS servers resulted in the distribution of corrupted DNS records that affected connectivity to the Windows Update service. The DNS records were restored by January 30, 2019 (00:10 UTC), but downstream effects continued. We believe the issue to be fully mitigated because the majority of local Internet Service Providers (ISP) have refreshed their DNS servers and customer services have been restored. If you are still encountering download failures, please contact your local ISP.

While this was not an issue with Microsoft’s services, we take any service disruption for our customers seriously. We will work with partners to better understand this so we can provide higher quality service in the future even across diverse global network providers.

========================================================

More complications, that added to the entire thing.

sfc/scannow
Windows Protection resources did not find any integrity violations.
Task Manager is indicating that no apps are running. Ugh.

New Threads

Top Bottom