• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Two weeks of Win 10 problems

Checking the startup.

Might be of interest to initiate the msconfig.exe file to see what services and startup items actually start up in particular versus those that are "stopped". Usually found in the c:\windows\system32 directory.

Last edited:
msconfig.exe file to see what services and startup items actually start up in particular versus those that are "stopped".

Will do so. Thanks for the tip. Assumed that what I see in the startup menu is what there is.

No loss of internet so far. However it was related to the twenty different things I've done, seems to have worked.

Wish I knew which one it was.

Note: Of all the windows software I've used from win 2.0 onward, this has to be the most complicated software and the most problematic. In the past, I understood how software worked and how to repair it. Win 10 is different, although built on the same platform it's like an upside down pyramid.

Last edited:
Note: Of all the windows software I've used from win 2.0 onward, this has to be the most complicated software and the most problematic. In the past, I understood how software worked and how to repair it. Win 10 is different, although built on the same platform it's like an upside down pyramid.

Not looking forward to transitioning from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Didn't use the term "upgrade" because I'm not sure it would be appropriate. :eek:

Last edited:
I actually want a Windows 10 PC, so I can use Unity and various other movie/image/audio editing tools.

Still reoccurring cut offs from the internet. Changed the cables, and went to LAN 2, so far so good.

something more random ?

It's random and unpredictable now. Nothing today, two last night. Troubleshooting is indicating that it's the modem. Also using as of today, a wifi dlink stick in a usb port.

It's random and unpredictable now. Nothing today, two last night. Troubleshooting is indicating that it's the modem. Also using as of today, a wifi dlink stick in a usb port.

Troubleshooting as in connecting it directly with an Ethernet connector and getting the same drop-offs?

If you can eliminate wi-fi from the equation, yeah...it could very well be the modem.

Last edited:
Troubleshooting as in connecting it directly with an Ethernet connector and getting the same drop-offs?

I haven't done that, so I don't know about drop-off's on the actual ethernet connection. Don't have the correct cable for that, and to buy one means going out in very cold weather at the moment. But I likely will next week, when it's supposed to warm up.

Disabled the wifi yesterday evening, and the drop-off's occurred. Aggravating, as I play online games, and it cuts out for a second or two during game play. It's wrecking havoc with my scores on games I've been playing for more than ten years.

I haven't done that, so I don't know about drop-off's on the actual ethernet connection. Don't have the correct cable for that, and to buy one means going out in very cold weather at the moment. But I likely will next week, when it's supposed to warm up.

Disabled the wifi yesterday evening, and the drop-off's occurred. Aggravating, as I play online games, and it cuts out for a second or two during game play. It's wrecking havoc with my scores on games I've been playing for more than ten years.

I just mentioned the Ethernet connector relative to running the modem without wifi or your router.

With the drop-offs still happening if you are running broadband directly through your network card then it seems appropriate to suspect the modem itself, apart from the Ethernet cable to your network adapter.

At least it sounds like you may be getting things narrowed down...:)

Last edited:
At least it sounds like you may be getting things narrowed down...:)

This is such a morass, frustrating and time consuming. Yet what else do I have to do but work on this to get it fixed these days with the weather so cold.

This is such a morass, frustrating and time consuming. Yet what else do I have to do but work on this to get it fixed these days with the weather so cold.

The Internet doesn't work without the router mate, it's required to feed from the ISP's server.

The Internet doesn't work without the router mate, it's required to feed from the ISP's server.

Oh it can...but it's a really bad idea from the perspective of security. Plus not all routers are created equally when it comes to security concerns as well.

My first broadband modem was a USB type that could directly connect from my ISP to the Internet. No network interface card required. Of course the cable tech warned me wireless or not, to get that router and I did.

But then remember that this is about trouble-shooting to find any discrepancies that might expose malfunctioning hardware or cable. Not just the integrity of her broadband connection and OS software that supports it.

When a problem becomes a sustained mystery, sometimes you have to look in all kinds of directions you might not usually contemplate. After all, troubleshooting isn't always a uniform, linear process.

Do I Need a Router if I Only Have One Computer?

Last edited:
Although the wan link was flashing the entire evening as well as the wireless link on the modem, there were no drop off's for the last two days, since I connected to lan 2.

Fingers crossed that this was the actual issue. Some sort of break in a cable connection which even when tested (the lights showed on both connections as working) appeared as intact. So now it's a wait and see. And perhaps a modem replacement if this reoccurs.

New Threads

Top Bottom