• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tips for introducing new puppy to my anxious dog?

Kavigant

Good Boy
V.I.P Member
I own a very sweet and loving dog who is very sensitive and anxious. He reacts fearfully to strangers, prefers routines, and prefers to stay in the house.
We will be introducing a new puppy in a couple of weeks (my wife needs a dog who actually likes going for walks), and I'd appreciate some advice for helping to make sure that my nervous dog will accept the new puppy.

Toss a coin as to which one gets the new crate. ;)

But then I recall a particular time when two cats were introduced into the same house where two Yorkies ruled the roost. Oh my. :eek:

I joke that my sweet little dog is on the spectrum because he honestly shows many of the signs. He was bullied rather badly by our older dog before she passed last year.
We're really hoping that we can transition this new puppy into our home in such a way as to create a friendship between the two dogs.

I joke that my sweet little dog is on the spectrum because he honestly shows many of the signs. He was bullied rather badly by our older dog before she passed last year.
We're really hoping that we can transition this new puppy into our home in such a way as to create a friendship between the two dogs.
Point taken. I know one of my cousin's dogs was bullied as a pup which left the dog in a constant neurotic state...scared and apprehensive of pretty much everything.

But you never can tell as to whether or not two very different pets may bond with each other. Sometimes it can happen when it's not expected.

Best advice I can give is to simply take it very slow, and be sure to show them both equal amounts of attention. Whenever you pet one, go pet the other immediately after, that sort of thing.

Also, I'd say, try to stay nearby during all of their interactions and monitor them carefully as they get used to each other. Just in case.

Where's @Luca? Luca is a dog pro and I'm betting has great advice.

I think she left.

Hasn't been on in over a month now, and her profile picture vanished.

Feed them together. That's a great way. But two different food bowls. Then give the puppy a toy with the first dog's smell on it. If you can, do the same for the first one. Everything is smell with dogs.

I own a very sweet and loving dog who is very sensitive and anxious. He reacts fearfully to strangers, prefers routines, and prefers to stay in the house.
We will be introducing a new puppy in a couple of weeks (my wife needs a dog who actually likes going for walks), and I'd appreciate some advice for helping to make sure that my nervous dog will accept the new puppy.
If your dog has been the only animal in your home then it is hard to tell how he will react to another dog, feeding them together was scary to me since I had a dog once who was very sweet but if you got near her food she got aggressive. My little dog I have now will let the cats eat out of his bowl with no trouble, but if you give him a new bone he will not let the cats near without growling and going after them, or a new toy he will get very possessive of it. Introducing our cat to a kitten (which was from the same mother and father a year later) they have been with us for 6 and 5 years now and still hate each other. They do not like each other at all. They both will play with the dog though. Just be very aware of them at first and like someone else said take it slow and let them get used to each other. Some dogs love another dog in the house and others do not but eventually they will get used to each other. We had a mother dog and her puppy. (Pekinese and a peke-a-poo) and they were very territorial and when the other came around they would just about fight to the death, most of the time they got along but sometimes it was a fight with them. Good luck, sometimes they just click and love each other. Years ago when I introduced my Chihuahua to my other cat, the chi walked right over to my cat and laid down next to her and they were always together after that, no problem at all.

What age, breed and color is your current dog?
Our current dog is a 4-year old black Giant Schnoodle, though he's a runt, so he's only a Small-to-Medium Schnoodle.
He's pretty sensitive to changes in the environment and disruptions to routine, and he barks at other dogs, I think, due to being afraid of them. He's pretty high strung, but in our house where he feels safe and loved, he's a sweet, sweet snuggle-mutt.
Why do you ask about his color?

Our current dog is a 4-year old black Giant Schnoodle, though he's a runt, so he's only a Small-to-Medium Schnoodle.
He's pretty sensitive to changes in the environment and disruptions to routine, and he barks at other dogs, I think, due to being afraid of them. He's pretty high strung, but in our house where he feels safe and loved, he's a sweet, sweet snuggle-mutt.
Why do you ask about his color?

The color is just a theory of mine (probably wrong) that dogs might accept a similar colored dog a little easier. Contrary to the belief that dogs do not see in color, they in fact do, just less intensely.

I was looking up on google what dog breeds most easily get along with other dogs and there are multiple articles about it if you want to try the search yourself. I will continue to read about it now knowing your dogs type.

Puppies of course are pretty darn disruptive at first. To me it seems the first month is hard (on other dogs and the people) but it then gets noticably easier month by month, and around month 6 things are pretty smooth again. But they still can be knuckleheads to about 1 year.

One thing maybe in your favor is that puppies may be annoying but not usually threatening to other dogs and you can see a natural protective instinct come out in the older dog. But there is no way to be certain how it will turn out.

I have one dog that is similar in personality to yours and she was very put out by the first addition. She took longer to settle down into the new routine. I think usually it takes a few months but she took a year. That was the first, but she was a lot better at accepting additional additions after that. ;)

Unfortunately I am world's worse trainer, but apparently very good at raising very social and easy to handle Chihuhuas. My thoughts are therefore limited. Be sure to give both dogs equal attention and maybe your older dog special attention and reassurance. Dogs don't always become friends but instead just tolerate each other fairly well. My Chihuahuas are like that, just a pack of rivals. While they squabble internally they join forces against outside enemies like a passing by car or person walking. If anyone comes to the door they lose their minds. They also do ok walking together which is a neutral territory thing. I read the Schnoodle should have lots of exercise so maybe this pup is an opportunity to get the older dog walking. When I got pups they took all the extra weight off my oldest. I also give treats a lot. Like bits of steak (yeah they are spoiled) and giving them pieces in turn helps give them the idea things are fair and that both dogs matter to you and are valuable. In general whatever one gets all get every time. I stoop to pet one, I track down the others and all get pets. I don't do crate training but do have crates for transporting each and sometimes have some set up with doors open. It gives them a place to take a time out away from other dogs if they want.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I am world's worse trainer, but apparently very good at raising very social and easy to handle Chihuhuas. My thoughts are therefore limited. Be sure to give both dogs equal attention and maybe your older dog special attention and reassurance. Dogs don't always become friends but instead just tolerate each other fairly well. My Chihuahuas are like that, just a pack of rivals. While they squabble internally they join forces against outside enemies like a passing by car or person walking. If anyone comes to the door they lose their minds. They also do ok walking together which is a neutral territory thing. I read the Schnoodle should have lots of exercise so maybe this pup is an opportunity to get the older dog walking. When I got pups they took all the extra weight off my oldest. I also give treats a lot. Like bits of steak (yeah they are spoiled) and giving them pieces in turn helps give them the idea things are fair and that both dogs matter to you and are valuable. In general whatever one gets all get every time. I stoop to pet one, I track down the others and all get pets. I don't do crate training but do have crates for transporting each and sometimes have some set up with doors open. It gives them a place to take a time out away from other dogs if they want.
I love Chihuahuas, how many do you have?

Just two at the moment. Molly a rescue mix about age 14 and Momo a Chihuahua/Toy Fox terrier mix just turned 15. My other two, sisters, passed away this year, but not unexpectedly as we had been battling different medical conditions in both for a long time.

I think of them as nature's brave little jesters. Always loyal and entertaining.

Have you, or had you any?

New Threads

Top Bottom