• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The random advice thread

Random Advice

Whenever you visit Singapore, do not drive.

Try to take a train, bus, cycle or even walk. You'll get a real sense of the vibes of my hometown, and home country.

300652_com_static02.jpg

If a car (or some metalic object) gives you frequently electric sparks caused by static electricity, and it hurts, use a key, -or another metallic material-, to touch the object before touching it with your hands.

This way the electric shock will pass from metal to the key, instead of metal to your hands.

static_shocks-eliminator_door.jpg

Of course that from the key the electricity will pass to your body, but witouth a spark, and it will not hurt.

TAKE NOTE THAT I'M SPEAKING OF STATIC ELECTRICITY. Do not try to touch wall plugs or other types of electricity.

If you are studying physics, take breaks every so often to think about the things you know. Use that to piece together other things, and create. None of the famous physicist's we know of (Einstein, Newton) got anywhere by only reading and listening to what others had to say on the subject. They thought, and created new ways of looking at things, which lead to amazing discoveries. Everyone is capable of this.

Another random advice:

Before borrowing money, always have an understanding of the financial implications - the interest, the downpayments, repayment of the loan, etc.

Don't believe the Eclipse window curtain label when it claims to block out 99% of light, especially if you get light-colored curtains.

Random advice:

If something really interests you and you feel you have really energised doing it all the time...

Either it's really bad for you, or it's so good that you need to do it, you need mentors to help you pursue that area of interest even better.

Don't dye your hair blonde after you dyed it red (unless you want a bright orange head).

Another random advice:

Smile, as much as you can.

It is getting more difficult to smile these days. All the more, we do our best to be happy. :D

Do not go in for a dental procedure requiring the use of a local anaesthetic the day after you have been under general anaesthesia, no matter how short (specifically a combo of secobarbital/whatever barbiturate plus propofol.)

The lidocaine in the injected anaesthetic just doesn't work. Doesn't happen to every single person but I mean, if you're getting a filling serious enough to irritate a nerve badly or a root canal (Lord forbid said procedure was an extraction) ... DON'T!
(Novocaine is a brand name and includes epinephrine, if anyone was wondering. And I post this because I had this happen and even after the 15th injection even directly within the socket there was barely any change.)

Don't read the comments on a youtube video about an autistic person. In fact, don't watch a youtube video about someone who's autistic. Unless that person is the same person who uploaded it.

Don't read the comments on a youtube video about an autistic person. In fact, don't watch a youtube video about someone who's autistic. Unless that person is the same person who uploaded it.

This is why I only trust autism videos by Dizzy, so far. :)

And another random advice I would give to budding college football fan:

Support the team you have with connections, not just by their win-loss records.

Support your own college. (Those Ohio State alum living in Birmingham, Alabama, in my opinion, should be respected for who they are, not being chided for not supporting Auburn or Alabama)
Or, if your college has no college football team, support a team that is hugely popular in your region or state. You can't go wrong in LA supporting Southern California, or Nebraska supporting the 'Huskers. :)
If you live in a state with zero college football team, you can even consider supporting teams with really wide levels of support, such as Army, Navy, Notre Dame, BYU or even, I dare say, Duke (the team are doing great).
If you still haven't found a college football team to support, go with your sibling, parent or even your superiors. My mentors graduated from Wisconsin and Stanford, so I am definitely partial to these teams. I also have mentors from Michigan (and the Wolverine mentor is really, really great), Penn State, Buffalo (awesome friends from UB, too!) and Maryland, all of whom I support to varying extents.

If it happens that you, like me, live outside more than 1000km from any college football team and have no links totally to any college with a college football team, resist the urge to support a college football team - until you apply for one :p

Don't read the comments on a youtube video ...

I'm slightly stealing this quote here.

"Don't read the comments on a youtube video..." and I might want to add; at all. Irregardless of context. As Chris Hardwick once put it; web video comments are the taint of humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Don't read the comments on a youtube video..." and I might want to add; at all. Irregardless of context. As Chris Hardwick once put it; web video comments are the taint of humanity.

I protest, I enjoy the 'Roll Tide' comments in many Alabama-related videos. To Auburn people, Roll Tide is not something pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a science major, learn a programming language, particularly one that has a good numerical computing library or is designed in general for numerical programming. Trust me, it will come in handy for your major.

If you are a science major, learn a programming language, particularly one that has a good numerical computing library or is designed in general for numerical programming. Trust me, it will come in handy for your major.

That's an understatement. Even an accounting major like me find that one programming module more useful than 'management accounting' or 'financial reporting' module.

Don't wear white or light-coloured socks in the house when you have a dog (or in my case, two dogs, who have free run of the house) who is in season... I've lost count of the number of pairs I've had to change...

I would advise friends to appreciate the beauty and the positives of our native lands, no matter how rotten they can be.

Take my case for example, I must have told you that I do not get much opportunities to contribute socially to my society even though I tried my best. However, I appreciate the relative safety and high quality of life in Singapore in general, as compared to other countries in my region. I can still make use of the superb library and high speed Internet in where I live.

I'm slightly stealing this quote here.

One thing that I like about the NoScript extension for firefox is that since a lot of commenting systems are done with Javascript, I don't see them by default.

New Threads

Top Bottom