• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Probably going to flunk a college course

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
Right at the beginning of the current college course I am in, I was supposed to already start work on the final paper assignment. Well, it's currently the 6th week of the course and I still haven't started it. This is partly because even with the instructions I've been given, I still don't know how to start writing it and the professor will not allow time extensions for this assignment. The paper is meant to be a cumulative project and the professor warned against "cramming" the project for the 7th week (When it's supposed to be turned in.) so I am probably going to flunk the course at this rate.

How many times in the past five weeks have
you asked the instructor for clarification?

How many times in the past five weeks have
you asked the instructor for clarification?
I haven't asked him at all. He just stated on the assignment page there will be no time extensions and he discouraged waiting until later on the assignment.

So, it's time to start then, right?

No sense in continuing to put it off.

It's time to face it.

Ask your professor or other classmates for some clarification.

It's go time.

You haven't failed yet.

Just get to it. You can learn the lessons from this later. Time to work.

So, it's time to start then, right?

No sense in continuing to put it off.

It's time to face it.

Ask your professor or other classmates for some clarification.

It's go time.

You haven't failed yet.

Just get to it. You can learn the lessons from this later. Time to work.
I don’t know how to start the paper even with the instructions.

I don’t know how to start the paper even with the instructions.
First step is to solve this problem then. Ask a question. Email someone. Ask us?

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 7.55.48 PM.png

I sent an email to the professor because I only know how to contact him. I don't know how to contact the other students in private despite how this is meant to be an interpersonal course.

Does the course has a Canvas or other similar online module? If so, there's likely a message board there that you can use to communicate with the prof, TA, and/or classmates, and there may also be the option to message them (not always turned on, though).

What do you mean you don't know how to start it?

You write about the subject.

Here's how I used to do it (pretend I had to write about birds):

What is a bird?
What role do birds play in nature?
Why is this role important?
How birds are different from other animals with examples.
Etc.

At some point the instructor probably wants you to discuss a specific topic and this is about where you reach that part.

But I basically used this same outline every time and aced most every paper.

Yeah. Hit us with the prompt and we can give it a shot. I just now got the internet connected at home, and can probably go ahead and at least write some of it for you if you need a hand.

I attempted to work on it but I just keep hitting walls mentally. This isn't looking good.

The paper has to follow a certain template:

• Title Page
  • Introduction
  • Body
    • Culture
    • Perceptions
    • Symbols
    • Empathy
  • Conclusion
  • References
Each of the four sections of the body must have at least three paragraphs with at least five complete sentences each:

• Main Idea - Explain this concept and its importance
  • Scenario or Personal Example - Explain real-world applications and significance
  • Research Base - Explain how the research supports your analysis

I attempted to work on it but I just keep hitting walls mentally. This isn't looking good.

• Title Page
  • Introduction
  • Body
    • Culture
    • Perceptions
    • Symbols
    • Empathy
  • Conclusion
  • References
Each of the four sections of the body must have at least three paragraphs with at least five complete sentences each:

• Scenario or Personal Example - Explain real-world applications and significance
So my first question is do you have a text book for this class? If you do, you'll draw the information for your paper from the assigned readings.

So here's how I would approach this:

I would work on the body first. That's the most important part. You can write the intro and the conclusion later.

Break up the body into the four sections. Do the first one first. Culture.

For culture:

What is culture? Why is culture important? What is an example of culture in your part of the world? How old is this culture and when did it begin? Who engages in this culture and why might it be important to them/how do they benefit from it?

This alone will probably give you your 3 short paragraphs. You'll have to talk about the research aspect because that is probably in your readings.

And then you basically do the same thing for the other three sections.

Your introduction is just a short paragraph informing the reader what they are about to read,

The conclusion is also a short paragraph that wraps up what the reader just read. I usually take the first sentence of each of my paragraphs as the summary. It's just a quick review.

I hope this helps.

• Title Page
  • Introduction
  • Body
    • Culture
    • Perceptions
    • Symbols
    • Empathy
  • Conclusion
  • References

This is great news. You have a very specific formula to follow.

I also would start with the body and then the conclusion and then the introduction (in that order).

The title page should be extremely formulaic. Get that done if you haven’t already.

It’s time to work. Push through the “mental walls,” push through the worry, push through any lack of motivation. You can do this. You can try your best.

That paper counted for a large part of your grade, I think.

Is it likely you will scrape by with an extremely low grade
due to not turning it in?

I wonder what would have happened if you'd turned in
what you had gotten done.

New Threads

Top Bottom