• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People's Names

spose so yuh, roland, at least you can call them 'roly'. the diminutive would be 'or' or 'orly' wouldn't it?

In Australia most names get shortened or played around with in some form.

spose so yuh, roland, at least you can call them 'roly'. the diminutive would be 'or' or 'orly' wouldn't it?

In Australia most names get shortened or played around with in some form.
I think because trade English isn't an easy language,if you're not Norman French from your ancestors you would change it to Scandanavian so tak instead of take

well at least you can call her elli, but orlando, what's the short version of that?
No, she goes by Elliott.
The girl is a sassy lil thing and ain't afraid to let you know it either :p

She was pro diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder last fall, but I saw it in her long before they pinned the label on her :D

I had a bad experience with an Orlando once that I will never forget.
He was a total ding-dong with a big mouth.
Afterwards, I treated him a little worse than he did me, so I'm sure he never forgot me either :p

oppositional defiance disorder (ODD)

One of the things I appreciate about this forum is what I am learning about all kinds of things.
eg I had never heard of ODD but when I looked it up, it seemed to fit someone I know

yah, but the social reality is some dopey parent saw a movie with orlando ugh bloom in it and named the kid accordingly.

First thing I thought of was the book.

"...inspired by the tumultuous family history of the aristocratic poet and novelist Vita Sackville-West, Woolf's lover and close friend, it is arguably one of her most popular novels; Orlando is a history of English literature in satiric form. The book describes the adventures of a poet who changes sex from man to woman and lives for centuries, meeting the key figures of English literary history."
Orlando: A Biography - Wikipedia

Diminutive version of Orlando could be Lando.

oh ok, lando's not so bad. Had forgotten about the book, but most people wouldn't know of it.

One of the things I appreciate about this forum is what I am learning about all kinds of things.
eg I had never heard of ODD but when I looked it up, it seemed to fit someone I know

It's one of those things that comes up around autism. In hindsight I had some level of it as a child, but I think it trailed off with aging, I mean you get to see how ridiculous it is with maturity. Must be pretty annoying for parents, I mean you'd have to use reverse logic all the time, like 'whatever you do, DON'T eat those vegetables on your plate.

"...inspired by the tumultuous family history of the aristocratic poet and novelist Vita Sackville-West, Woolf's lover and close friend, it is arguably one of her most popular novels; Orlando is a history of English literature in satiric form. The book describes the adventures of a poet who changes sex from man to woman and lives for centuries, meeting the key figures of English literary history."

Diminutive version of Orlando could be Lando.

The first thing I thought of was the character Orlando in As You Like It by William Shakespeare.
Orlando (As You Like It) - Wikipedia

The first thing I thought of was the character Orlando in As You Like It by William Shakespeare.
Orlando (As You Like It) - Wikipedia

Am I the only one thinking of Orlando, the Italian variant of Roland? As in, the hero of the Song of Roland, who appears in Dante's Divine Comedy as a representative of the valiant Christian warrior, and later the subject of various Italian romances such as Orlando Furioso, which were eventually parodied in Cervantes' Don Quixote?

Post got too long, so I split it up.

I live in Idaho, so I see a combo platter of trendy Northwestern names and Utah's Mormon names. Now, I'm a little younger so I'm used to the whole "last name = first name" thing. This is way worse. I get that names change over time, but when our 15th most popular baby name is Easton and 19th is Weston, it's too much! I'm glad the number of Jaxons, Jaxsons, Braxtons and Bentleys is going down, at least.

In junior high, my friend's last name was Hu, and his dad had a doctorate and didn't watch a lot of TV. We both joked about that.

I knew a Bronwyn in high school (USA, she was American too).

A family friend's nephew's name is Zeppelin. It's probably the worst name I've ever seen IRL (like not someone 2,000 miles away I heard online), and it's on a kid who's gone through enough already.

A while back, I saw a text file, a federal list of every single baby name used 5+ times in a given year. Sadly, several hundred kids a year are named after anime characters (there were almost a hundred Brolys the year after his new movie). I wonder if there's a support group?

Imagine being, I don't know, an accountant or something, and someone comes in to audit your company and he's named Vegeta Thompson.

Speaking of anime, the guy who wrote Dragon Ball, Akira Toriyama, named his kid Sasuke. So there is now a middle-aged man walking around whose real name is Sasuke Toriyama. That was the hardest I've laughed all year.

Mom's an England historian. She told me about Barebone's Parliament. I thought she meant Barebones Parliament, like it barely had any people, but no, it was named after a guy named Praise-God Barebone. How two parents named John and Mary came up with that, I don't know, but his brother was named Fear-God, and he named his son Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned. If you've heard a longer name than that, tell Guinness World Records, not me!

Am I the only one thinking of Orlando, the Italian variant of Roland? As in, the hero of the Song of Roland, who appears in Dante's Divine Comedy as a representative of the valiant Christian warrior, and later the subject of various Italian romances such as Orlando Furioso, which were eventually parodied in Cervantes' Don Quixote?
I don't know very many classics

New Threads

Top Bottom