• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People's Names

IMG_20210930_054311.jpg

My actual first name is very weird (I don't consider it a dead name, it's ok to say it). My birthname is Ruca, which is a Portuguese female name (extremely uncommon name even in Portugal) but in Mexican Spanish it is slang for an old woman or an old hag. Hence why I go by Luca, lol. Ruca can also be used to mean girlfriend tho, like in the song by Sublime. But that's not the most common usage. I Googled it and it said there are less than 12 people in America named Ruca. I've seen Rucca as a spelling of it too but I don't think that's common either. My last name is extremely common where I live, and I found hundreds of people named Luca with that last name on social media, even famous soccer players.
Ruca is pronounced basically the same as Luca so not much of a phonetic difference. But very weird name and idk why that was even something my birth parents considered naming me (until recently I was convinced that they made the name up, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they named me that intentionally knowing what it meant in Spanish). I would hate to go on vacation to Mexico and have them look at my passport...
On another note, I'm not completely sure if this is true but I heard that someone named their child Hashtag. I'm sure there are a lot of wild baby names now in the social media age, lol. I've seen some very odd spellings of typical names lately but to each their own, I guess.
Sorry I ramble so much. I'm clearly not all there in the head lol and I tend to be a huge scatterbrain and a little too talkative most of the time. My meds seem to make me more like that.

My birthname is Ruca, which is a Portuguese female name (extremely uncommon name even in Portugal) but in Mexican Spanish it is slang for an old woman or an old hag. Hence why I go by Luca, lol. Ruca can also be used to mean girlfriend tho, like in the song by Sublime.
In the USA, we use the phrase "old lady" in a similar way:
  • an elderly woman,
  • [my] mom,
  • [my] wife/girlfriend...

In the USA, we use the phrase "old lady" in a similar way:
  • an elderly woman,
  • [my] mom,
  • [my] wife/girlfriend...
Probably should have specified that I'm an English speaker living in America, just with Portuguese and Latin American ancestry. Lol. My Portuguese is not very good and neither is my Spanish.
Makes sense that it's probably used the same way we use "old lady" though. :)

As a mail man I see lots of weird names, but one that I see often that for some reason annoys me is a guy named "Airick" just used to seeing "Eric" I guess. Also the name "Sean" pronounced Shawn has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I know someone who is named Shawn, and they changed it from “Sean” because their family would purposely mis-pronounce it to tease them. Some family.

“ Γεώργιος” is my son’s name, according to one side of his family. To me it is the best kind of weird, because spoken aloud it sounds like a stream flowing past rocks and pebbles.

MY uncles first name was spelt Freak. in english he went by Fred
Is your uncle Dutch?

I named my son Thelonious after Thelonious Monk.
I actually thought the name was awful but, one day I made the joke that I would name my child after the Monk and it stuck. When the nurses demanded I name my child that was the only name I could think of! I just blurted it out. He goes by Theo though, so not too traumatizing.

Is your uncle Dutch?

I named my son Thelonious after Thelonious Monk.
I actually thought the name was awful but, one day I made the joke that I would name my child after the Monk and it stuck. When the nurses demanded I name my child that was the only name I could think of! I just blurted it out. He goes by Theo though, so not too traumatizing.

YES he is or was passed

My sister was child #4 in a litter that eventually became five. My parents hadn't decided on a name for her yet, so the maternity went ahead and made up an ankle tag for her per hospital regulations.
My mom was bunked with another woman who had recently given birth as well.
One day during their stay, both of them were presented with their babies to nurse them. After both of the infants were fed, they chose to hand each other their offspring to further their bond.
When the roomie held my sister, she read her tag, then said,
"Ahhh, Fe-mall-le, such a pretty name" :p

Before she came home, they eventually decided on a name for her.
A name, as in she was never given a middle name :D

My Mom's proper name was Patti.
She had to endure a lifetime of people correcting the spellings
to either Patty or Patricia.

When she named me, she insisted on naming me with the name she knew others would want to see, yet no one ever called me by that unless she was pissed at me, it was in legal documents or official conversations :p

These are not "people names" but my dogs have some really odd/creative names!
The first one makes sense; her name is Linda, which means "pretty" in Spanish and Portuguese. Self-explanatory lol.
Two of my other three are named according to their registered names (a registered name is the long name a dog has on their papers, usually prefixed by the kennel/breeder's name and can be followed by dog sport titles... but "a well-balanced dog has titles on both ends of his name." Mixed breed dogs can also earn titles but probably wouldn't have a registered name).
Kodi is short for Kodiak, because her registered name is "Arctic Breeze".
Then I have Chesca, which is short for Francesca, and her registered name has nothing to do with her name... registered name is "Se Te Nota".
Hex is my youngest, and her AKC name is "Under Your Spell." So makes sense, right? :sweatsmile: But yes, very odd name.
(I've excluded the prefixed kennel names here for privacy).
Some other time I'll go into detail about titles... but my dogs have them! Lol

my Dads name is Noach, his English speaking friends called him Noah, my family cousins, his brothers and sister and my mother called him No.

I knew a girl named Sonia when I was growing up. Her big sister called her lasagna to make her mad. :D
So funny! When I was in gradeschool, a boy I had a crush on called me "Lasagna". He still called me that the last time I saw him when I was 20. :)

On a gameshow, I can understand a nickname like Skippy or LOL (maybe lol in the 80s or early 90s before the internet) but I have never heard another woman being called Paddy before, a woman was called that on a gameshow

New Threads

Top Bottom