• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People's Names

Why is it that we can have the suffix -son but not -daughter or -grandson etc. in names?

THank you for the link to the Icelandic tradition which is certainly alive.

However, also consider the Irish tradition of O' Brian and the Scottish one of Mc (or Mac) which does much the same thing ie son of .

THank you for the link to the Icelandic tradition which is certainly alive.

However, also consider the Irish tradition of O' Brian and the Scottish
one of Mc (or Mac) which does much the same thing ie son of .

There's an Irish comedian named Dara Ó 'Briain'

male:

male first names: Guy and Dick (seriously, why?)

female first names: Abigail
Guy (phonetically Gee)means man in French, a lot of people with Norman French ancestry,Dick is because people didn't naturally speak English and spoke Gaelic, Dick is easier than Richard

I think names that describe people's ancestors' trade or occupation are interesting such as Miller, Cooper, Smith, Sawyer, Hunter, Harper, Carter, Wright, etc.

...in english is Seaman
A sailor.
full

Guy (phonetically Gee)means man in French, a lot of people with Norman French ancestry,Dick is because people didn't naturally speak English and spoke Gaelic, Dick is easier than Richard

I know. But that's not what people will associate them with ;)

German family names be like:
Krummbein (bowed legs)
Rupf (deplume)
Schweinefuß (pig's trotter)
Müll (trash)
Fick (fūck)
Mundloch (mouth hole)
von Hinten (from behind)
Kiffer (stoner)
Aufschneider (blowhard)
Oberbillig (super cheap)
Kotze (vomit)

I could go on with the list... Some of these might have had different original meanings but their pronounciation and spelling correlates with German words in use today.

You can get a similar list with Dutch names the origin is very interesting, a Spanish over lord whom did not speak the language and imposed surnames.

I know. But that's not what people will associate them with ;)

German family names be like:
Krummbein (bowed legs)
Rupf (deplume)
Schweinefuß (pig's trotter)
Müll (trash)
Fick (fūck)
Mundloch (mouth hole)
von Hinten (from behind)
Kiffer (stoner)
Aufschneider (blowhard)
Oberbillig (super cheap)
Kotze (vomit)

I could go on with the list... Some of these might have had different original meanings but their pronounciation and spelling correlates with German words in use today.
I dont use them x that by the percentage that dont

There's a male news journalist named Sasha, and a male expert on tv show 'pawn stars' named Dana. I always thought these name were women's names.

There's a male news journalist named Sasha, and a male expert on tv show 'pawn stars' named Dana. I always thought these name were women's names.

I had a female friend whose name was Sascha. It is both male and female. In Russia many boys are called Sascha.

In Italia some names that end with "a" are male, like Luca and Antonia. Abroad, there are many boys called Luca, but rarely any boys called Antonia, except if they are of Italian origin.

The head of the UFC is named Dana White. I always think of Vanna White from Wheel of Fortune.

I think Sasha is a short version of Alexander in Russia. How do you get Sasha from Alexander? Those wacky Russians!

New Threads

Top Bottom