• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People's Names

We've shared laughs on this thread but seriously sadly I've heard instances in schools where some pupils have been bullied as there name is strange, old fashioned or uncommon

It is easier to see in the Attic/Homeric. Dii is the dative of Zeus so you can see it is: Beloved OF Zeus. With Theophilius, the O indicates dative as well, meaning beloved to God. If it were accusative, it would then be loving God. However, sources such as wiki say it could be God-loving (but again, who is doing the loving?) I believe it is God doing the loving. IMHO :) But I love that we are discussing this, either way!!
It probably depends on your reverence for your G-d, if you were devout, you may not have used the word Zeus! as jews don't use the tetragrammaton and say ha Shem in its place.

Elliott:
20190701_194207.jpg

She was named after her Grandmother's maiden surname

I have seen two of my daughters' names, Jubilee & Maranatha, used as boys' names. "Jubal" is usually the male form of "Jubilee."

Then you have the African practice of using a name as a way of setting an hope or aspiration for the person. So I know of a Prosper, Favour.

However, I have come across a Singaporean called "Million Dollar Win"

It is easier to see in the Attic/Homeric. Dii is the dative of Zeus so you can see it is: Beloved OF Zeus. With Theophilius, the O indicates dative as well, meaning beloved to God. If it were accusative, it would then be loving God. However, sources such as wiki say it could be God-loving (but again, who is doing the loving?) I believe it is God doing the loving. IMHO :) But I love that we are discussing this, either way!!
No it's old speak, old :high German ,English, you place God before love ,in trade English love before G-d

yah, but the social reality is some dopey parent saw a movie with orlando ugh bloom in it and named the kid accordingly.
It may depend on the culture ,if you have German ,Italian or Spanish descendants it's honouring them :\

New Threads

Top Bottom