• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noisy neighbours making me go insane, any advice?

alittlebitofheaven

Recently we've got new neighbours who live above us, in an old wooden house... who seem to love having parties. This is fine... but, well to put it in perspective its currently 1.30am local time and the music and their screaming is only getting louder. My fiance doesn't seem to mind it, but it really is driving me insane. He's watching the rugby in the next room, with the tv on about full volume to "cancel out" their noise upstairs?

I really don't know what to do, I've tried earplugs, headphones, even asked him if I could call noise control and he said 'You have to be more respectful of others' :banghead:

Any advice? I haven't really encountered this problem much before - happy to give ya all my love and respect :wub:

Oh and isn't that emoticon fantastic... really want a brick wall right now lol

I'd call noise control. If you suffer from loud neighbours I guess that's your right to do. You could go over and ask them to be more quiet or else you'll report them.

I don't mind noise, but I mind noise that's not my own. If I can't afford a nigh soundproof place that means I cannot be as loud as I want to. They should not project their interest in partying upon you. The fact that people think that the best way to fight noise is to be noisy yourself in order to surpress it is somewhat stupid to me.

Respectful to others? Respectful to others it making sure other people do not have any problems of whatever you've got going on. The fact that they might not be bothered if you were to party isn't revelant either.. it annoys you and as such you, in my opinion, are allowed to be the party pooper. There's reasons why you can rent locations for parties... most of the time these locations are more fit for loud parties.

Alittlebitofheaven, where do you live? My experience is that here in the UK those in authority are reluctant to take firm action about the kind of noise nuisance you are experiencing.

Recently we've got new neighbours who live above us, in an old wooden house... who seem to love having parties. This is fine... but, well to put it in perspective its currently 1.30am local time and the music and their screaming is only getting louder. My fiance doesn't seem to mind it, but it really is driving me insane. He's watching the rugby in the next room, with the tv on about full volume to "cancel out" their noise upstairs?

I really don't know what to do, I've tried earplugs, headphones, even asked him if I could call noise control and he said 'You have to be more respectful of others' :banghead:

Any advice? I haven't really encountered this problem much before - happy to give ya all my love and respect :wub:

Oh and isn't that emoticon fantastic... really want a brick wall right now lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a plan for you:idea::

1. Buy yourself a drum kit, preferably acoustic.
2. Wait those those neighbours are partied out and falling asleep.
3. That's when you practice the living daylights out of that kit. (Bwa ha ha ha ha.) Heavy metal, anyone?
4. Negotiate with them after, say, three or four sessions.

In other words, two can play at that game.

That's a good one. I like noise if it's 'happy noise', the sounds that make me happy.

Heavy metal FTW =D

Alittlebitofheaven, where do you live? My experience is that here in the UK those in authority are reluctant to take firm action about the kind of noise nuisance you are experiencing.

Supernova, I learned from his introductory post that Alittlebitofheaven lives in Wellington, New Zealand. The national capital, and as far south as you can go and still be on North Island.

Haha thanks guys

At about 4:15 they finally decided to shut up, but not before my partner finally decided to go up to request they turn the music down (that was at like 2, was still over 2 hours til they actually did). And yes, I live in Wellington in NZ. We don't actually live in a student area, the problem is that the noise travels within the building rather than to surrounding ones and we're the only other occupants here.

Have also let the landlord know, however he's proven to be a lazy landlord in the past... so who knows.

Thanks though :)

Drum kit? No, no, no, no, no, a thousand times NO! BAGPIPES!!!! I've heard they're actually quite easy to learn and even if you don't who can tell the difference?

Or, if you don't want to go through the trouble and expense, there is always OPERA. Carmen is a good one but just about any opera will do as long as there are lots of sopranos and it's in a foreign language.

Christian music is another good one. I can recommend quite a few. "The Old Rugged Cross" (which was written in Michigan by the way) is a good one when they are trying to recover from hangovers. Anything with hell and damnation too. Just make sure it's played at full volume.

Some years ago "Airways Magazine" which is a magazine for commercial airline enthusiasts (I'm one) offered a CD of "jet noise" for its readers who didn't have the good fortune to live near an airport and needed a quick fix. I'm sure that might be available too.

What you want to do with all these is to do it at a time when you know they will be wanting to sleep. Then put the CD or whatever on, turn it up full blast, and leave the house for several hours. I don't think you will have to repeat.

Don't know what the laws are there but as a common courtesy no loud noise should be heard after 10pm for most here.
If after a talking to it did not improve I would next call the police. Here if it can be heard a certain distance from the apt they can be fined
up to $500 every time after the first warning.

I guess the best you can do is call someone about the noise if it's doable. If not, then I guess the next best thing is find something to calm yourself. Maybe find some good noise-cancelling headphones and listen to whatever calms you and sort of meditate on it. I lived in a household with my girlfriend for about 2 years that was always teeming with noise and it drove me nuts. My ex's father would play his electric guitar and sing all the time, HIS girlfriend would try to talk over everyone and would get into shouting matches because she was an insane manchild, they had a projector and would watch movies at deafening levels... Oy. I would usually get onto my computer and listen to my music as loud as possible through headphones to drown out the noise and sometimes I'd even use earplugs. Near the breaking point, I entertained the thought of buying an air horn whenever there were shouting and fights because the stress was driving me insane and giving me terrible panic attacks.

This reminds me of my neighbor, the Biatch. She didn't like my Bose system so whenever I exercised or watched a movie she would bang on the wall like some hick from the back woods. I was exercising once and she started hitting on the wall so hard I thought she was going to come through the thing. Then she came over and started banging on my new glass door and ringing the doorbell like a crazy person (I thought the door would break). She's lucky I didn't shoot her a new a**h***! Thing is the city has a noise ordinance that starts at 11pm - 7am I found out after calling the police so she had no right beating my door in at 8:30pm. I forgot to mention that she's an alcoholic so she thinks the rules don't apply to her. She closes her front door really hard all hours of the night; I'm surprised it hasn't fallen off the hinges (I guess that's a way to let the rest of us know she's pissed?). I can hear her TV and stereo in my own condo and my other neighbor that lives below her says that when I'm at work she really goes all out with the noise. Of course I can't have any time that I "can go all out" because the Biatch has no job (her job is being busy making the rest of us miserable). So now, so I won't have a repeat of my front door being bashed in, I keep all my noise to a minimum (my Ma can't even come over to watch any movies) and I have to exercise in my bedroom. I need to watch what I do because if I got into a fight with her and ended up in jail I could get my nursing license taken away. She can act like a total doofus because she has nothing to lose. So again, even though I am in the right she has stripped me of my rights. That's what it's like living next to the Biatch.

This reminds me of my neighbor, the Biatch. She didn't like my Bose system so whenever I exercised or watched a movie she would bang on the wall like some hick from the back woods. I was exercising once and she started hitting on the wall so hard I thought she was going to come through the thing. Then she came over and started banging on my new glass door and ringing the doorbell like a crazy person (I thought the door would break). She's lucky I didn't shoot her a new a**h***! Thing is the city has a noise ordinance that starts at 11pm - 7am I found out after calling the police so she had no right beating my door in at 8:30pm. I forgot to mention that she's an alcoholic so she thinks the rules don't apply to her. She closes her front door really hard all hours of the night; I'm surprised it hasn't fallen off the hinges (I guess that's a way to let the rest of us know she's pissed?). I can hear her TV and stereo in my own condo and my other neighbor that lives below her says that when I'm at work she really goes all out with the noise. Of course I can't have any time that I "can go all out" because the Biatch has no job (her job is being busy making the rest of us miserable). So now, so I won't have a repeat of my front door being bashed in, I keep all my noise to a minimum (my Ma can't even come over to watch any movies) and I have to exercise in my bedroom. I need to watch what I do because if I got into a fight with her and ended up in jail I could get my nursing license taken away. She can act like a total doofus because she has nothing to lose. So again, even though I am in the right she has stripped me of my rights. That's what it's like living next to the Biatch.
This sort of thing is something I think of frequently. I have realized, as an audiophile and a lover of music, that if I am going to have any sort of sound system, and be able to truly enjoy it without bothering others, I may never be able to live in any sort of apartment or condo complex. Fortunately, the room I'm staying in is fairly removed from the rest of my parents' house--I live above the garage, so noise is rarely an issue. But when I have to find my own place, either my choices are going to be very limited, or my hi-fi hobby is going to take a hit. Conundrums...

I can kinda relate to all parties here. My biggest issue with music, coming from neighbours, isnt about the music, but more about the bass. When you cant hear the music, and all you can hear is bass, its freakin like water torture. For an Aspie, its an OCD moment that almost sends me to meltdown.

I have neighbors that have dogs, so I can sympathize with noise issues; the two noises that bother me the most are dogs barking and car horns. I use a fan at night that creates "white noise" and helps drown out most of the noise. I don't know if it works for loud party noise. If not, you can do what I did several years ago. When I was an apartment dweller, I had a neighbor who insisted on listening to Led Zeppelin at 4:00 in the morning. I asked him nicely to turn it down. His response was to turn it up. The next time I knocked on his door, I calmly advised him that I would shoot him if he didn't turn it down. He moved out the following week. He had seen me coming and going to the shooting range, so he knows I wasn't bluffing.

Love it! Time to bring out the 6 shooter and rip 'em a new one! (That was Grumpy Cat saying that - I'm too much of a lady.) :rolleyes:

I'm pleased to mention that my neighbor on the other side of my bedroom moved.....no more over-the-top subwoofer bass coming from that direction.

Which leaves my neighbor below me....although he doesn't make nearly the racket the other one did.

Yeah...those 30 hertz frequencies make me go bonkers...

Just heard from the newest neighbors on the other side of me. No subwoofers....just two people screaming at each other at the top of their lungs.

Why me? <facepalm>

As if life isn't cruel enough as it is. Hopefully the balance between subwoofers on one side anf screaming on the other cancels each other out.

As if life isn't cruel enough as it is. Hopefully the balance between subwoofers on one side anf screaming on the other cancels each other out.

The screaming is off to the side. The bass I hear is under my feet. About all I can do is to turn my audio system up...drown them out. At times I'd sure love to have those noise cancelling headphones.

The screaming is off to the side. The bass I hear is under my feet. About all I can do is to turn my audio system up...drown them out. I'd sure love to have those noise cancelling headphones.

Sounds like all the reason you need to lash out and buy a set. Im moments of desperation, sometimes to prove a petty point, ive been known to spend a fortune. Its that god dam principles thing again. Haha

Sounds like all the reason you need to lash out and buy a set. Im moments of desperation, sometimes to prove a petty point, ive been known to spend a fortune. Its that god dam principles thing again. Haha

Oh yeah. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. But not right now....too many other things to buy.

New Threads

Top Bottom