• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hugs (like or dislike?)

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Take 'em or leave 'em?

I've never really enjoyed hugs, except from my kids when they're small. As they get bigger, hugs are less and less comfortable with them. And my son who shows aspie traits is similarly uncomfortable with hugs, rarely giving them and never really melting into a hug.

But as I've made my discomfort with hugs known to a few people close to me, who then attempt to back off and give me more space, I actually feel left out. I see them giving and receiving hugs with others, and it hurts inside that I don't have that with them, that comfort with and from physical affection.

It hurts to get/give hugs, but it also hurts not to. I try to fill the void with alternatives, like words of affection (which don't come naturally for me, either), or time with them. But I also really need alone time right now, more than ever before in my life. It's like I'm making up for so many decades of trying to be what everyone wants me to be, and it's all come caving in on me.

I don't know who I am anymore. I don't know what I need or want. I feel like I exist inside this Faraday cage, where no (or very little) relational energy gets in or out.

I have very deep feelings, but can't communicate them. I feel a passionate and devoted love for my family and friends, but it seems like everything I do to express that just comes out wrong or not at all. Love, in my life, is being reduced to a series of actions and sacrifices, not real connection. It's not like I don't have people around me who love me, because I do. But I feel like I exist inside this deep, dark prison cell, with all of the world moving along just fine outside the prison walls.

When I try to accept this reality, the suffocating depression weighs in on me. When I try to fight my way out, the emotional roller coaster is traumatizing, unpredictable, and exhausting.

I am not a very touchy-feely person and am not much into hugs. A lot of it depends on the sex of the other person. I am uncomfortable hugging another man, while with women, not so much. I am not sexist, I am the same way with my own sons and daughters. It's just the way I am.

I don't know how much of my aversion to touch is learned through painful touching, and how much is due to the hypersensitivity issues. I don't mind hugging my dogs, but they are covered in fur.

I was fine with hugs until I was about 14 since that seems to be when my Aspie switch was turned on. Hugs usually make my stomach knot up and hurt, I feel sick when I come into contact with most people. There are a few I don't mind hugging, but in small quantities.

A lot of it depends on the sex of the other person. I am uncomfortable hugging another man, while with women, not so much. I am not sexist, I am the same way with my own sons and daughters. It's just the way I am.

I can relate to this. I'm more comfortable hugging my sons than my daughters. I suspect it's more of an age thing than a gender thing for me, though, because the boys are younger than the girls and I've gradually gotten less comfortable hugging my kids as they've gotten older.

I always love hugs from family and or kids!!! I accept hugs from my sister or close friends. I can even pretend to be social; accept hugs from huggy type people. They tend to get the message that I'm not a huge touchy feely person (& not wanting repeated displays of affection.)....
The oddest thing, about growing up, when I was a teen, I never knew when I "needed" and relaxed from a hug from my mom. so often, I did not want the hugs, so often to knee jerk reaction stiffen up and squirm away. I don't know what this means. I'm not really sure I'm 100% Aspie at all........

Here is a classic pic of when my sister captured me for a hug/kiss at a family wedding! Eek! You can see me attempting to accept hugs, but clearly, not reciprocating the hug, aww........

Attachments

• kknsis.jpeg
    kknsis.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I see them giving and receiving hugs with others, and it hurts inside that I don't have that with them, that comfort with and from physical affection.

I get you! I can hug my kids and it's only a bit awkward, they never seem to know whether to hug me or not. Huggy people I endure. Can't hug my family at all!
The last physical contact I had with another person was nearly two years ago with my last GF and it was always fine with her.
I do so miss contact.

Everybody expresses their emotions differently. From my experience plenty of NTs don't really know how to express their feelings either, especially if they haven't seen it as children. I can hug people, no problem, but when I'm overloaded don't come close to me :) well, maybe it doesn't apply for everybody. I find that some people are just more "huggable" as well :) both of my kids are on the spectrum and one of them is hypersensitive, he has problems with hugs sometimes, he's not going to come for a hug when he's upset but will always do when he actually needs it. My other son is a little bit different. I remember when I was about 4-5 and my great-grandmother was still alive, I visited her quite frequently. I couldn't stop hugging her, she felt like one big soft comfy pillow :) as for displaying affection, sometimes I feel like I need to have clear rules and boundaries, otherwise I become confused :)

I get you! I can hug my kids and it's only a bit awkward, they never seem to know whether to hug me or not. Huggy people I endure. Can't hug my family at all!
The last physical contact I had with another person was nearly two years ago with my last GF and it was always fine with her.
I do so miss contact.
Just the same here but last time was 4 months ago and it was because a friend of mine was moving abroad and before that maybe a year ago.

I was hugged, for the first time in ages, yesterday. It seemed to last forever and then she kissed me, bang on the lips without asking, I thought my heart was going to stop from so much joy. Couldn't think straight all day.

I can be quite huggy, and will curl up on the couch and drape myself over my husband, or snuggle up to my kids. I do feel awkward with hugs from friends or strangers if I'm not the instigator or I'm not expecting it. Sometimes I feel as though I need a hug too, and at that point, when I'm feeling touch-starved, anyone's arms would do. Well maybe not anyone's, but you get the idea :p

Generally I'm not into hugging unless its from the almost two year old i babysit. I love hugs from him. But otherwise, even with family, even ritualized hugging like when i tell them i'm off to go to bed, is uncomfortable and forced.

aw, random person? I know some random hugger people........ I wish I could share them with you!

over abundance of people trying to hug me! Here is my sister, again, literally after chasing me around the kitchen table to capture this hug........ My mom demanded that I to allow her hug me....... So, I acquiese, haha, is that word? I give up. It was kind of, a little bit , hilarious, I am smiling a whole bunch super happy, but still not wanting the hug. turns out to be one of my favorite hugs. I was sad, but I did not know it. the chase was funny!

Cats are awesome! I have cats and dog(s). The cats are soft, but can appear aloof. Dogs they just fall to pieces to greet you at the door (after they tear up all you worldly belongings)..... haha! Nothing has cheered me up as much as kids and dogs! And cats and dogs chasing each other..... hehe dogs force you to go outside to walk them. It's important therapy for me, anyway. Sunshine! exercise! ick socializing? Yes, Sometimes, I must say Hi to neighbors and stuffs. meh. but it works out ok, like when your cell ph/purse is missing the neighbors know your name to return it to you. Community is important! They will watch your house when you are away.

Attachments

• 3707.jpeg
    3707.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I sympathise through similar experience Randomperson. I do get the feeling that people intentionally ignore/avoid me.
aw! ah, yeah,if they do that to me too, but I totally deserve it........

some people tell me that I don't deserve normal friends? sighs.......

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom