• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How fast is your internet connection?

3436267540.png

100/100 fiber connection

Man, you guys should try living in the Boonies with me. I'm jealous of EVERYONE here!

Dial up? My buddy, Jim and his family, still have dial up. They live out in the sticks and that's all they can get. I've encouraged him to try HughesNet, but he refuses to succumb.
No, satellite. We have the most high-end package, and we get about 10Mbps...but the kicker is our lag, which is about 750 ms and makes voice/video chatting (even if we had more than 25GB of allotted monthly bandwidth) quite difficult...and gaming is completely out of the question. I can use my cell connection, too, which greatly reduces the ping time, but we don't have LTE so it's only about 2Mbps.

Well my internet went from 1.5 MB's to 12 MB's but yet again that was 1.5 MB's split between everyone here who uses it. Now I can watch my videos or do a download without being the one to blame for slowing down the internet :D

Looks like the wireless speed in this state office building is pretty fast. I wish the line I'm waiting in was moving along just as fast.

speed test.JPG

This is an average using different servers and distances...over a WIFI connection

Looks like the wireless speed in this state office building is pretty fast. I wish the line I'm waiting in was moving along just as fast.

Once again, I am terrified by that speed. Nothing like that in my country, nothing like it.

Once again, I am terrified by that speed. Nothing like that in my country, nothing like it.

There are only a select few areas here where that is possible. That test was probably done at a government office with pure fiber connections. A few cities have Google Fiber and a few other cities like Chattanooga have EPB which is also pure fiber.

Mostly you will see that most in the US right now have around 15-30Mbps down and 1-5Mbps up.

Wow, I'd be tickled pink if I could even get a true 56k connection.

I had a whopping 5 K dialup speed once...it took ten minutes for a page to load and often the servers would clip you off...ahhh...the good old days of Windows 95 and a harddisk that held less than a gig ...next was Hughesnet satellite with a 50 Mb bucket limit that failed in the rain...I remember being jealous of cable that I could not get in my home...there are some nights now that I download 50 gigs of data at a sitting...

The early days of dialup on the Internet? In Windows 3.1 it would take as many as 50 attempts for my 14.4 kbps modem to connect. Once I got online it was usually time for bed...lol.

AOL and so much ad pollution it would not let you search...my first box was a 3.1 we never put online...it mostly ran DOS and ran one heck of a solitaire game...when I turned it out to pasture we saved the drive as a joke...50 mb and as tall as it was wide...required welding cables to run it...laughs

How about the horrible screeching sound as the modem communicated with the provider?

New Threads

Top Bottom